First time RV owners, North Country 24rks

We are picking up our new 2011 NC this Saturday, and are excited and nervous at the same time. This is our first experience with an rv, so we appreciate all the helpful information we have seen in the forum. We would appreciate hearing from other North Country owners for tips and ideas. Thanks so much!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
First, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Faimly and congratulations on your new rig. The best thing in my opinion is to have your dealer give you a thorough demonstration of everything in the coach. How to use the onboard water systems. Filling the fresh water tank. How to use the water pump, hot water heater, furnace, refridgerator, dumping the waste tanks. Also make sure the entertainment system functions properly including hooking up a TV and using the rooftop antenna to make sure all the connections are good and functioning. This may take a fairly long time but it should save you from unnecessary return trips to the dealer for little things that might be caught during this PDI.
Have fun & good luck.

Thanks Ray, all good advice! We live about an hour away from the dealer so we want to make sure all is working before we take delivery. I thought I would take a notebook and take notes, lol, so I will remember all the "how to's ".

Congratulations! We picked up our 24RKS in April of this year and have had a wonderful time with it. My recommendation is to have your dealer show you the cable connections are working properly. Traditionally the cable crimping by Heartland is poor at best and many folks have to replace all cable ends. (we had to do ours by ourselves) This is something most dealers will not check out before delivery. My dealer is 250 miles away so yes important. Recommend the best anti sway hitch you can afford. We started out with the friction kind but quickly upgraded to the Reese Anti Sway Cam Hitch and now love it. As far as our trailer goes it is wonderful and many people who have toured it and stayed in it with us love the layout with the Kitchen all in the rear and the full bath works fantastic. We did upgrade the shower head but awesome. We also put in a sleep comfort bed replacing the original mattress so we could have the same comfort away from home as we have at home. The biggest challenge we have found traveling is that people just CANNOT merge in to traffic. In many cases it is much safer to move over when you can than rather than trust people will speed up and merge properly. Recommend center lane when driving in city traffic. Enjoy, start slow with weekend trips and work your way up.

Thanks BigDScubaMan! Great info to have. We did go for a sway control system called the Equalizer, it is supposed to be a 4 point system, according to the dealer a sure thing. It had better be, for the money! You were wize to get the better mattress, ours leaves a lot to be desired, but for now I am going to pad it with the eggcrate layers I had for our pop up camper, and hopefully we will eventually get a real mattress. Thanks again for the input!

Birchwood

If you see a problem with your trailer during the walk through and you think the repair would
take away from its newness.An example would be a nick or cut it the floor or a rusted frame.
Ask for money!!