FIXED: Bed in slide has become separated

herefishy

Couldn't decide where to put this, but seemed most appropriate in the slideout section, as the bed in our slideout didn't move out with the slide this afternoon. I pushed it, and it moved easily into place, but wonder if there's a connection under the bed that has come loose? Trailer is a 34' Bighorn. The platform moved, it seems solidly attached, just the support underneath stays in place - good place to hide things.

danemayer

Re: bed stays put

Hi herefishy,

Are you saying that everything moved except for the mattress?

ParkIt

It sounds like the top where the mattress rests didn't move though once it was shoved, it did but the platform didn't move which would leave it open as a "good place to hide things". There may be some confusion on words to items - the platform of the bed vs the platform of the frame attached under it.

Either way *both* should move at the same time. You might have to take the mattress off and see if there is any separation of the part that goes round the bed to the floor has come detached from the wall of the slide itself. Also check the flooring for any soft spots...possible chance there was some water damage causing the 'platform' to not move?

herefishy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Kinda hard for me to see the problem from looking at the picture.
I suggest that you remove the floor from the storage area under the mattress. To do this you may have to remove the platform.
You may also need to remove the part of the platform that is under the pillow end.
If there is a problem you will be able to see it.

Peace
Dave

herefishy

Thanks Cookie, think I would have to save that floor business for the repair shop. Hope this doesn't happen again, but looking under the platform, I see no attachment between the platform and the part under the pillow area, so something may have come loose. Think I can work around by pushing the platform back out when I have arrived at a park. For now, will just cross my fingers.

ParkIt

From one of the pictures it looks like the part where the plywood rests on top of the platform below it either caught on something or has separated, there is a gouge in the wood where it would clear the "frame" to slide out. The front piece at the pillow end may have detached from the wall of the slide out or is catching, it could be the lower part of the bed platform is not lined up with the slide out itself.
If you are up to it, take off the plywood platform when the slide is in and look to see if everything is lined up with the slide itself or anything that may be blocking or catching on it when it goes to slid out. It would be at the pillow area, the rest doesn't rest fully on the floor so it can slide all at once.

(ps: its good to know someone else speaks martian, I could figure out what you meant in your first post) ;)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If your mattress lifts up and reveals a shallow storage area, with a thin plywood floor, you can easily remove that thin plywood to reveal the workings underneath. From your description, it does sound like the foot of the bed platform has detached from the slide mechanism. Could just be reinstalling some screws that have fallen out.

Your mileage may vary, but if at all possible, I like to open things up and have a look-see before taking things in for repair. Sometimes, an expensive trip for a simple fix can be avoided.

herefishy

Found part of the problem - "pillow part" did detach a bit from the slideout, enough to allow "stuff" from the nightstand to fall down in there and jam. I removed the stuff, and looked under the frame and can't see where it would attach to the pillow part. Next time it sticks in the out position, I will try to crawl under and examine it further - maybe can see what attaches. With these mystery things, you always hope someone will pop up and say "oh, yes! That happened to me and I fixed it by such and such". Thanks for the ideas.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I have read that it has happened to at least one other. The fix was pretty simple. Re-attach the separated parts using some metal angle brackets available at any home building center and probably most hardware stores.
Sorry, no pics.

Peace
Dave

ParkIt

Found part of the problem - "pillow part" did detach a bit from the slideout, enough to allow "stuff" from the nightstand to fall down in there and jam. I removed the stuff, and looked under the frame and can't see where it would attach to the pillow part. Next time it sticks in the out position, I will try to crawl under and examine it further - maybe can see what attaches. With these mystery things, you always hope someone will pop up and say "oh, yes! That happened to me and I fixed it by such and such". Thanks for the ideas.
Little stuff that gets caught under something and jams up the slide is common and a pain to figure out. Can you see if the tracks are lined up with the rollers when you have the plywood cover off? That could cause the slide to go out but not the bed frame along with checking for loose screws rolling around...as John mentioned it sounds like the stuff that got caught probably pushed the screws out of the platform.

herefishy

Got it fixed - the entire bed was screwed into the wall of the slideout with two screws, which came out eventually. I found a U-shaped bracket about 2" tall used for attaching roof trusses and attached it to the stationary part under the bed, then slid the bed into the bracket and screwed it to the top of the plywood under the mattress. So far so good.