FIXED: Surprise, surprise, another water leak!

dbbls59

Arrived home today, parked in my drive and water started dripping on the drive way under the water heater. I removed the wall in the storage area and sure enough, the hot water outlet on the back of the water heater is leaking. The black pipe that screws into the aluminum tank is dripping big time. Water leaks on this Big Country are getting to be a nuisance. My basement has been flooded twice already and now this. My selling dealer has sold out and is out of business and the nearest Big Country dealer for warranty work is now 200 miles away.

danemayer

Re: Surprise, surprise, another water leak!

Hi Don,

If it's the outlet leaking at the top, it's probably the plastic check valve. It needs to be replaced with a brass valve. It's something you can do by yourself and we even have owner-written instructions with pictures. Take a look at the Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide. The check valve instructions start on page 14.

dbbls59

Thanks Dan. I did not know that was a check valve. I'll be getting a brass one.

ParkIt

Maybe its just me but it seems there are too many owners having this problem on units that are in warranty or barely out of warranty. If HL were to be pushing out 10k units like other brands in a year, the number of reports would seem low but they don't - the Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country are the supposed top of their line so why aren't they using brass fittings instead of plastic?
Just wondering out loud.

wdk450

Last Tuesday, I went to my local trailer supply parts store asking for one of these brass check valves for my "to do" list. This is a pretty good sized store, with another one owned by their company in the Bay Area, and not only they didn't have it, but I described it as being from Camco, as I saw it on Amazon. Well, their dealer catalog of Camco stuff didn't show this, either. So here is a link to Amazon on the check valve, and I got it in 2 days from them: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDUTN6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

olcoon

Dang Don, you sure having fun with the water leaks! I suppose you know Loveall went bankrupt, & sold to Camping World. Also, I haven't heard the story, but Nationwide is also now Camping World. I stopped in there Thursday, and they are in the process of completely remodeling the inside, so no parts yet. I did drive through their lot & saw 2 North Trail TTs. I don't know if they are set up for service yet, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out, as you are real close! While I was in there, I didn't see any familiar faces, but I really didn't know that many of them. Kind of hated to see that happen, they had a good reputation, and the people I had contact with seemed like good folks.

With all the issues with that check valve, I'm now thinking maybe I should be changing ours also. Been 3 years & haven't had an issue....yet, knock on wood!

MCTalley

I just replaced the check valve in our 9 month old Big Country. I used a flap type check valve from Lowe's (happened to be on clearance for under $3) which has greatly increased our hot water flow.

After reading all the various threads on here regarding removing the plastic check valve from the hot water heater (go ahead and plan on the fact that it will break off and leave the threaded part inside the outlet), I found that the most efficient way to remove the threaded part is to go ahead and pull the unit out of the side of the trailer where you can work on it standing up outside instead of folded up in the rats nest of plumbing and wiring behind the UDC.

I believe the reason that Heartland doesn't put a brass valve in at the factory is due to like 3 or 4 states that prohibit brass valves due to possible trace amounts of lead. Those of us that live in the other 46 or 47 states get to live with the economic aspect of that decision.

ParkIt

Nifty Don, now I've got a full wishlist from your link...well, not entirely full yet.

I'm not waiting on the surprise, since it will be at the shop this week I'll drop it off and have them change it for me for $20 more than doing it myself. They got the tools and bay right there, might as well while everything is handy.

ParkIt

I believe the reason that Heartland doesn't put a brass valve in at the factory is due to like 3 or 4 states that prohibit brass valves due to possible trace amounts of lead. Those of us that live in the other 46 or 47 states get to live with the economic aspect of that decision.
I just took a swig of water while reading that and almost had to clean off the monitor.
Really?!
head.desk.

Speedy

On this subject Jim B. said the reason for the plastic check valve was because of CA law regarding lead leaching into the water from the brass. Since all Heartland rigs are RVIA certified then they have to meet those standards and RVIA adopted the CA standard. I ordered all new brass parts on Friday and am waiting for delivery; looks like a Memorial weekend project.

ParkIt

On this subject Jim B. said the reason for the plastic check valve was because of CA law regarding lead leaching into the water from the brass. Since all Heartland rigs are RVIA certified then they have to meet those standards and RVIA adopted the CA standard. I ordered all new brass parts on Friday and am waiting for delivery; looks like a Memorial weekend project.
They outlawed licking paint off the walls...this is nuts since we are always California's red headed step child when it comes to 'environmental and health' laws so I guess we are next to have the same law.
::rolleyes::

Gaffer

I wonder why the bottom one is brass. It is on my 2010.

ParkIt

I wonder why the bottom one is brass. It is on my 2010.
You got lucky?
It could be the laws might not have been in full effect when your rig was on the line...or someone was having a bad day and put one on then quickly hid it ;)

dbbls59

Good news, the leak is fixed. More good news, the plastic check valve came out in one piece. Replaced with a brass one, tightened two connections and it seems the leaks are fixed. Wiggling the pipe that connected to the water heater loosened the connections and I had to re-crimp them.

danemayer

Don and Joyce,

Glad to hear it was relatively easy. Thanks for updating everyone.

olcoon

Great news, Don! Hopefully this will be the last one!

aatauses

Glad yours came out in one piece--for those who are considering this project (mine did break and had quite a time of it)--consider putting a little heat on it first---I then tried an easy out without much success---then a knife---worked some of the pieces out---then a dremil with a small wire brush on the end--that worked and then put in a 1/2" tap to be sure the threads were clean.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

California's stupid laws have cost all of us in the end...such as increased costs for fuel. But look what it has cost the citizens of California...the state is broke. MHO

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

California passes laws that screws up the rest of the country. You can't even get a "379" Peterbilt anymore. Oh Barabra and Nancy where are you?? Morons!