Flat springs ?

MandA

I just read a post about flat springs. Never heard of this but caught my interest. I have a 2014 Landmark Key Largo. it seems to list to the left when looking from the rear. measuring from the frame to the ground on a level concrete slab the left side is 1 3/4 to 2in lower than the right side. at front the right Side is 1 1/2 inches higher than the left, still looking from the rear. I can't find any broken spring or shackle. Flat spring never occurred to me. Mentioned was someones post of pictures about this but I don't know where to find it. How do I determine if flat spring is the problem and advise on fixing it would be appreciated.

MandA

Looks like I should be measuring from the frame at the front and rear of the shackles to see if I have a smile or a frown. Thanks

Stickdog

I just read a post about flat springs. Never heard of this but caught my interest. I have a 2014 Landmark Key Largo. it seems to list to the left when looking from the rear. measuring from the frame to the ground on a level concrete slab the left side is 1 3/4 to 2in lower than the right side. at front the right Side is 1 1/2 inches higher than the left, still looking from the rear. I can't find any broken spring or shackle. Flat spring never occurred to me. Mentioned was someones post of pictures about this but I don't know where to find it. How do I determine if flat spring is the problem and advise on fixing it would be appreciated.

Kitchen side, the left from looking from the rear is heavier than the right and therfore will lean a bit that way.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here are a couple more shots of the same flat springs from our previous Trail Runner . . .

LipAxleDriverside-IMG_3941.jpg LipAxleCurbside-IMG_3939.jpg

If your springs look like this they need to replaced and upgraded!

This is what happens when springs are flat:

TireRub-IMG_3907.jpg TireRub-IMG_3903.jpg TireRub-IMG_3898.jpg

TireRubBadGougedTireIMG_3911.jpg TireRubBadGougedTire-IMG_3904.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

Notice how low the trailer is over the tires . . .

MandA

update. I said I did not have flat springs. well that was incorrect I do. have been in contact with dexter. (nice folks to deal with) here is what I have learned. sent picture and confirmed flat springs. also learned That the Axle is 8000lb by the dexter number on it also learned it was made for heartland. and it has 7000lb spring on it. why who knows. looks like I will have to buy new springs and have them installed. I have not contacted Heartland as I assume that they will do nothing since I am the second owner. would seem that if a man special ordered disc brakes with upgrade Axel it should have proper springs. I have the invoice and it shows that. I hope anyone who ordered a heartland product with upgrade Axel will check out what they are getting so if incorrect they can call their hand on it as it is new. if anyone has a trailor with upgrade axles the 7000 is six springs and the 8000 is seven springs. when I replace the springs I believe I will install wet bolts.
mike