Flooring in the Big Horn

ArkSlim

I'm concerned about the material used in the flooring and roof. It looks like strand board which is not very resistant to water. Is this what the floors&roof made of? :confused:

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not sure what mine is make of but it sure creaks a lot!

Eh!
Ours creeks a bit too now and then. Believe it or not, depending on the level of the trailer, it creeks in different areas. We're looking into new carpet for the whole trailer if we can find an installer. If we do,once the old carpet is out, I'll go around with a drill/driver and put more screws in the floor as needed to fix the creeks.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
Floor Creeks

I thought a laminated floor would not have creeks in it (at least not for several years until the glue stopped holding), but our unit was built a couple of months ago and already has floor creeks coming from different locations.:confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Even though the floor system is laminated, there may still be just enough flex to rub the styrofoam against either the wood subfloor, floor registers or the aluminum framing. Would not take a whole lot to squeak. Can't say I've noticed any in our unit...yet. But then, my hearing is bad in the upper frequency ranges, anyways.

SmokeyBare

Heartland hasn't always used a Laminated floor.

Some of the older Units... have a floor attached to the Aluminum floor joists. Our 2007 BigHorn is one... So yes those can and do have a few creaks and pops built into them.

Ray LeTourneau

Heartland hasn't always used a Laminated floor.

Some of the older Units... have a floor attached to the Aluminum floor joists. Our 2007 BigHorn is one... So yes those can and do have a few creaks and pops built into them.
Marv, looking at your VIN, your 3400 came off the line a few days after mine, I have wooden joists. At least in the kitchen. The floor of the bedroom/bath area is on aluminum joists. Heartland made the switch from aluminum to wood just before our units were made. June of 2006.

SmokeyBare

Well now Ray... Next time I open the underside... I'll Check !! :)

Just not a place I've visited often... Thanks for the information... My Creaks and pops... have been in lots of places... sometimes it's the floor of the BigHorn... sometimes it's ME !!

My post was only a reminder that the floors of Heartland products have evolved from what they were... to what they now are putting in... which is a sandwich with top and bottom panel and insulation between. Which I believe will be quite a bit warmer.

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Well now Ray... Next time I open the underside... I'll Check !! :)

Just not a place I've visited often... Thanks for the information... My Creaks and pops... have been in lots of places... sometimes it's the floor of the BigHorn... sometimes it's ME !!

My post was only a reminder that the floors of Heartland products have evolved from what they were... to what they now are putting in... which is a sandwich with top and bottom panel and insulation between. Which I believe will be quite a bit warmer.

Marv
No argument from me. It's not a place I like to visit at all. I had to go under and remove the shims they put it to stop the squeaky kitchen floor before I did our laminate. Our bathroom area pops quite a bit depending on how I move around from spot to spot. Like you, It may be me popping:eek:. I would really like to get under the bedroom and bath area and try to get some glue between the aluminum and the sheathing but I need to get motivated. I also agree Heartland has come a long way in the few years they've been around. I hate going into the new ones cause I get antsy. Then I think, wait a minute, mine's paid for and most/all the bugs are gone. Do I really want to start all over again.:rolleyes: See you in a couple weeks neighbor!

ChopperBill

The only squeak we had was in the bedroom floor. Those types of things generally don't bother me but I tried and tried to figure it out. Turn out not to be the floor doing the actual squeaking. It was the Corian on the vanity where it was moving against the wall.