Florida to Michigan = First Real Adventure, Need Route suggestions

TJfromFL

The wife and I have been pulling our North Trail 31RLSS all across Florida for the last 2 years (my only experience) without any issues, in fact it tows great behind our 2011 Toyota Tundra w/ the big V8. I have the best in a WD hitch, brake system, etc. In late August we are taking our first real adventure driving the trailer from Ft Myers Fl to lower Michigan. I have never been in any type of mountains w/ the trailer and I am not sure what to expect as it is a fairly big trailer. Should I go around them (I-65) or go straight thru on I-75? Any feedback and/or assurance would be very much appreciated:) .

We have traveled Florida to Michigan many times towing our fiver. Always use my PC Miler GPS ( truckers unit ). It routes us up I-95 to I-26 over to I-77 North. Than cut over to US-23 North in Ohio. I would not want to go over the Jellico Mtns. on I-75. Just my 2 cents.

Theresau

We've gone over the mountains many times but we're pulling with a 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax with Allison transmission. Have absolutely no problem.

The wife and I have been pulling our North Trail 31RLSS all across Florida for the last 2 years (my only experience) without any issues, in fact it tows great behind our 2011 Toyota Tundra w/ the big V8. I have the best in a WD hitch, brake system, etc. In late August we are taking our first real adventure driving the trailer from Ft Myers Fl to lower Michigan. I have never been in any type of mountains w/ the trailer and I am not sure what to expect as it is a fairly big trailer. Should I go around them (I-65) or go straight thru on I-75? Any feedback and/or assurance would be very much appreciated:) .

danemayer

2011 Tundras have a towing capacity of 7,000 to 10,000#, depending on configuration. Your North Trail probably has a GVWR of around 9,000#. You can find the actual GVWR on a label that is probably located on the off-door side near the front. There's a pretty good chance you're actual weight will be near the GVWR. So you're very likely to be pulling at the truck's limits, which might be fine on fairly level ground, but could be tested on a steep grade.

Gas engines develop max horsepower at high RPMs so your engine will probably be screaming while climbing a 6% grade. And you may not be able to keep your speed up.

Going down steep grades can be worse than going up. You'll need to shift to a low gear to control speed going down. You don't want to ride your brakes - you'll just overheat them and maybe damage them. And even though the trailer brakes are responsible for the trailer's weight, if they're not working at maximum capability, you may have trouble controlling downhill speed.

If you decide to try the mountain route, you might want a backup route in case the first steep climb puts you into white-knuckle territory.