For those interested in adding a Receiver Hitch and Bike Rack

danemayer

I finally tracked down the Lippert Part Number for the 1 1/4" receiver hitch that's designed to go on our 2011 Rushmore.
Lippert PN 240221
Phone 574-312-6850

#240221 is a receiver 68 3/8" wide with 2 brackets to bolt on. 1 1/4" receiver.​

$105.68 plus $27.31 shipping to Austin, TX.

Our Rushmore already had the mounting brackets attached to the frame. The hitch bolted onto those brackets with 3/8" nuts/bolts/washers from Home Depot. If you don't have mounting brackets, you'll need to weld on the ones shipped with the hitch. Installation was simple and took only a few minutes.

The 1 1/4" hitch is intended for very light weight loads, like carrying a couple of bikes, which I've been told by Lippert is all that you can do without damage to the frame. (Yes, I know there are lots of hitches attached to RV frames that support much more - hard to know if Lippert's blowing smoke.)

I bought the matching bike rack from Amazon for $69.97. Here's the link.

PSF513

I put one on my BH and was told they had stopped making them. Got mine through Heartland Customer Service

danemayer

Heartland Parts Dep't finally came up with the Lippert Part # (took several calls). They were willing to order it from Lippert and then ship to me, but based on past experience, I was afraid that would mean 4-5 weeks. Lippert shipped UPS and it took 1 week to get it.

Until I gave Lippert the part number, they were unable to find it on 2 prior calls.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I do not have brackets on my 2011 BH. I was told if the brackets are not on the frame, that is where HL draws the line with honoring frame warranty issues.
I guess I will wait until my factory warranty is up in Jan 2012, then have a receiver welded or bolted on.

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was just on the HL website and noticed that this bike rack hitch is a option on the new Landmarks.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks for posting this info Dan. I just ordered mine today. Of course, they are out of stock right now...:rolleyes:

JJOren

Dan:

Was it your take on this that it was a standard part...i.e. .....what would fit the Rushmore would fit the Mesa? I know that requires an assumption and that is always dangerous...!!!...LOL

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Larry, you do know that "Out of Stock" is a small town in Outback Australia, right?

I did not know that but I am not surprised that you do! :D
I did get it in two days so I guess it was not out of stock. Got the bike carrier from Amazon on Friday.

danemayer

Was it your take on this that it was a standard part...i.e. .....what would fit the Rushmore would fit the Mesa? I know that requires an assumption and that is always dangerous...!!!...LOL

John, it seems like it would simply be a question of whether the frame width is the same on the 2011 Rushmore and the 2012 Mesa. It's possible they could be different, but I'd find it surprising, since that would probably affect lots of other parts of the trailer design. Also, I believe the receiver/bike rack is part of an option bundle on 2012 Landmarks - another argument in favor of a "standard part."

If your Mesa already has the mounting brackets attached to the frame, as mine did, I think you're home free. If not, expect to pay someone to weld the brackets provided with the receiver hitch.

blkdodge

I just got a call back from the dealer. He said Heartland had one and it was $78.00 + shipping. So it's on it's way
Thanks for all the feedback

David