Ford F-250 diesel dual turbo 6.7l // 2015 CY 4100

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I hear this statement about the truck being "able to stop the trailer" all the time

IMHO, no tow vehicle is designed to stop the GCVRW. They are only designed to stop the GVWR.

So either trust the trailer brakes, or don't hook up. Trace

Jim.Allison

I dont know about the F250. But a side by side comparison of the 2013 RAM 2500 HD Cummins and the 3500 shows the braking system and driveline to be identical not considering the optional transmission available in the 3500 only. If the F250 is within the GCVWR then there is little relationship to his ability to brake considering the trailer having brakes also. I think the Ford has a boxed frame and massive spring shackles, but the 250 springs might be a little light and ultimately the tire loading might be a problem. All of which can be addressed adequately by the installation of a new spring set, addition of springs or helper springs and load range E tires with a load index of 125 or 126. The Ford differential has a reputation of being bullet proof. Of course the F350 is preferable but everyone does not have the luxury of matching their rig to their trailer in one purchase. Almost everyones truck and trailer are mismatched somewhere along the line.

Bohemian

There are different frames and many other components between the various versions of any one truck. The same "models" of components do not mean the same part numbers or degree of strength.

Yes, it's easy to get the necessary tow capacity, More difficult to get the proper payload capacity. You need to look at all the specs. Even more difficult to get what you need and no more than you \need. Especially off a dealers lot.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Why does it take more distance to stop a truck and trailer than just the truck. If trailer brakes stopped the trailer, in theory stopping distance would be unaffected. So, TV braking must come onto the equation some place???

The OP's question was about pulling and performance. I think braking is an important part of the "performance" question and it seemed neglected to me. That's why I brought it up.

jnbhobe

I personally would not be afraid of an F-250 with 18 or 20 inch wheels, helper springs, airbags, and a long bed as long as the trailer has DISC BRAKES. But a dually is ideal for a CY4100.

Bohemian

Heartland Cyclone GVWR range from about 14,000-20,000 lbs. GVWR

14,000 GVWR yields 2,800-3,500 lbs. max pin weight
16,000 GVWR yields 3,200-4,000 lbs. max pin weight
18,000 GVWR yields 3,600-4,500 lbs. max pin weight
20,000 GVWR yields 4,000-5,000 lbs. max pin weight

A 3/4 ton 2500/250 SRW pickup typically has at most 2,000-3,200 lbs. max payload
A 1 ton 3500/350 SRW pickup typically has at most 3,000-4,400 lbs. max payload
A 1 ton 3500/350 DRW (dually) pickup typically has at most 5,000-5,600 lbs. max payload

Payload includes not only the pin weight of the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel trailer and the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitch but also includes anything loaded into the towing pickup truck reducing the amount available to the 5th wheel trailer

.............................people, tools, bed covers, bedliners, any truck modifications, air bags, toys, dogs, cats, snacks, etc.

An F250 WILL clearly be overweight

Jim.Allison

I think it gets down to a leaf spring, B pillar sticker, and different badge. $1000+ bucks.:cool:

Correction , I think the leaf springs and support block might be wider rather than a bigger stack. Perhaps both. But you do get a badge and B pillar sticker to go with it.

Bohemian

No the frames are the same part number for 250 and 350

And yet, there are different frames. For one there are different lengths, thus different part numbers.

Net, a F350 is NOT just a FR250 with one spring added. Close, but no cigar.

And an F350 does not have enough payload for most Cyclones on the road. You need to include the 5th hitch, driver weight over 150 lbs. and passengers in the truck, as well as all the other stuff in the truck, including that added spring.

jnbhobe

As I said, me personally it would not bother, I know the numbers won't be right you would be over the gvcw. with a cyclone

caissiel

The higher spacers on the axles allows more spring travel to allow the proper drive line alignment when loaded.
More splines on the axles allows larger tire O,D.
There's the difference.

Bohemian

And yet, there are different frames. For one there are different lengths, thus different part numbers.

Net, a F350 is NOT just a FR250 with one spring added. Close, but no cigar.

And an F350 does not have enough payload for most Cyclones on the road. You need to include the 5th hitch, driver weight over 150 lbs. and passengers in the truck, as well as all the other stuff in the truck, including that added spring.

Or, would that be sub-part numbers. Same part number with a length and GVWR sub-part number.