Ford Tow Technology Bundle and quad Beam Headlamps

Sniper

I apologize if I'm push this conversation off track, but I'll be picking up our 2017 F-350 tomorrow. Thanks all for your input on the Tech Bundle and Quad Beam lights.:)
Congratulations! Post up a picture or two for us when ya get a chance after you get it home. :)

ATM

We picked up our 2017 F350 Platinum on the weekend, it took me few minutes to realize the truck was turning the high beams off and on by itself. It is a great feature, a lot of times I just run on low beam as the constant on and off gets to be a pain. The adaptive cruise control is great as well and the blind spot warning system. At first I thought the 360 camera was a gimmick but now I could not imagine being without it, works great for getting the truck in the garage as well as making it so much easier to hook up trailers. The other cool feature is the doors unlocking themselves as soon as you put your hand in the door handle when you have the fob in your pocket. We moved up from 08 F350 and it is amazing the difference between the two vehicles.

LBR

We picked up our 2017 F350 Platinum on the weekend, it took me few minutes to realize the truck was turning the high beams off and on by itself. It is a great feature, a lot of times I just run on low beam as the constant on and off gets to be a pain. The adaptive cruise control is great as well and the blind spot warning system. At first I thought the 360 camera was a gimmick but now I could not imagine being without it, works great for getting the truck in the garage as well as making it so much easier to hook up trailers. The other cool feature is the doors unlocking themselves as soon as you put your hand in the door handle when you have the fob in your pocket. We moved up from 08 F350 and it is amazing the difference between the two vehicles.
Congrats...we just picked up our 17 Ford also. We are coming from a 2003 and have never driven, nor hardly ever been in, a newer vehilcle than our 03...you can imagine our amazements!!

justafordguy

Congrats, These new trucks are amazing and have sure come a long way. I'm loving mine so far. :cool:

MikeR

I think it uses magic ;)

With the lights on and no oncoming cars they just change to high beam. Also it goes to low beam when a car is coming or you slow down to less than maybe 20.

Yes, it must be magic, as GM taught us back in the 50's. GM had their "Magic Eye" which was a rather large sensor mounted on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, to pick up oncoming car lights. Then your high beams would dim. I'm not sure if the brights would come back on automatically or not. It didn't really make much difference because you had the floor mounted switch to turn the brights on/off manually using your left foot.

Chippendale

Yes, it must be magic, as GM taught us back in the 50's. GM had their "Magic Eye" which was a rather large sensor mounted on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel, to pick up oncoming car lights. Then your high beams would dim. I'm not sure if the brights would come back on automatically or not. It didn't really make much difference because you had the floor mounted switch to turn the brights on/off manually using your left foot.

I was just getting ready to comment that my mother's 1955 Oldsmobile 88 had the automatic dimming feature, but you beat me to it. As best I can remember, it did go back to high beam after the on-coming car passed.

Reading this thread sure makes me want to trade in my junky old 2015 F350 DRW for a new one. I have an appointment at my Ford dealer's in the morning to have all my fluids, brake, steering, coolant and transmission changed out at 42,000 miles. Maybe I should cancel the appointment with the service dept and make one with the sales dept and let someone else deal with the fluid exchange. :D

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
We love our new 2017 F350! It's amazing the difference between 2017 and the 2012 we had. So much technology. The salesman told me to get in the driver's seat and he went over all the electronics while Dave sat in the back seat. :cool: He still is figuring out everything it will do.

truck.jpg

ksucats

George: Call for the sales department. Unless you have the maintenance contract, the money you're going to spend will make a good contribution to the down payment on the new one. :cool:

Chippendale

George: Call for the sales department. Unless you have the maintenance contract, the money you're going to spend will make a good contribution to the down payment on the new one. :cool:

Yeah, I got a letter from Ford Credit the other day, didn't read it real close, but I think it said I could purchase any new Ford product I wanted and they would finance up to $75,000 of it. Not sure my credit is really that good, but I guess that would cover a new 2017 or 2018 F350 DRW. Good thing I threw the letter away, because after reading this thread, I might be tempted to take it with me tomorrow. LOL

Chippendale

Curious as to why you are changing the fluids at 42,000 miles?

Probably spending $'s I don't really need to at this time, but am planning on putting lots of miles on it the next couple of years and decided to go on and get this done now at my convenience at a dealership I know and trust rather than later out on the road who knows where. I have a 100,000 mile Ford extended warranty on the truck and do not want, should I have problems, Ford to have any excuse not to honor the warranty. I know most people wouldn't do it, but since there is no grease under my finger nails, I decided for peace of mind to go on and have it done. When it was in for the last oil change, they suggested it needed to be done, and my feeling was that they are just trying to sell service so I held off a couple of months, but decided the other day to go on and do it. I know some of you probably think I am crazy, but I guess I look at it as kind of an insurance policy.

porthole

Retired
dealership I know and trust....

I decided for peace of mind to go on and have it done.....

and my feeling was that they are just trying to sell service....

Go with your gut feeling.

Only reason I asked is I was in that end of the industry for 20+ years.

fritzwell

Ken - you didn't ask about this, but two of my favorite options are:

1. Adaptive Cruise Control

2. Lane Keeping System

Jim,

I have the Tow Tech Package on this truck and it has the Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keeping alert and Adaptive steering. Also has the Ultimate Trail Tow Camera. I asked for all of these options, but now I'm asking myself why? From what I understand from the owners manual most of these features turn off when you select as towing a 5th wheel or goose neck, including the Blis Blind Spot. I talked with the dealer yesterday they weren't aware of any of this either. When they checked with their contact they came back with "Your right." I'm going to attempt contacting Ford next week for their input, we shall see I guess. Also, per the Ford book all of the above mentioned features in fact work as stated with a conventional type trailer, that being bumper hitch.

Ken

jbeletti

Jim,

I have the Tow Tech Package on this truck and it has the Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keeping alert and Adaptive steering. Also has the Ultimate Trail Tow Camera. I asked for all of these options, but now I'm asking myself why? From what I understand from the owners manual most of these features turn off when you select as towing a 5th wheel or goose neck, including the Blis Blind Spot. I talked with the dealer yesterday they weren't aware of any of this either. When they checked with their contact they came back with "Your right." I'm going to attempt contacting Ford next week for their input, we shall see I guess. Also, per the Ford book all of the above mentioned features in fact work as stated with a conventional type trailer, that being bumper hitch.

Ken

Well that's sort of a wet blanket :(

I have yet to connect my 5th wheel (or read the manual). I'm wondering if it's a requirement to tell the truck computer you're 5th wheel towing? Does it automatically know based on connection of the 7-wire in the bed?

porthole

Retired
Well that's sort of a wet blanket :(

I have yet to connect my 5th wheel (or read the manual). I'm wondering if it's a requirement to tell the truck computer you're 5th wheel towing? Does it automatically know based on connection of the 7-wire in the bed?

Thats interesting.

I know the dash monitor (trailer mileage screen display) knows a trailer is connected via the brake control circuit.

Connecting to the bumper socket or in bed socket should narrow that query down.

The BLIS has something to do with the trailer length. E.G. disabled because the trailer length would be an unknown with the BLIS ?.
Nope - disabled based on how you set up the data on screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Good video answers some of these questions.

[video]https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/safety/blis-with-trailer-coverage-and-cross-traffic-alert.html?year=2017&model=F-250&sync=sync3[/video]

LBR

Good to know. We won't be hooking up and towing until mid-December....will be watching this tread for sure!!