Frame Flex

ParkIt

This is an interesting thread now that ours will be in the shop for a front cap and any further damage by a tow company. Our insurance company (they most likely are yours as well) became very animated and flustered about Lippert and the frames no matter what the year. Not just owners, but other companies and insurance have been after them to fix an age old problem with the flex frames and Lippert won't change a thing.

That being said I was amazed at how well we could still tow our BC after the damage, it wasn't far in distance but there are few builds out there that could withstand the hit ours took and still tow with no wobbles or straying. Heart Land has to use Lippert and they've tried to reduce a problem out of their control, not sure how many other companies out there do the same (I can think of only one that probably does) as far as towables go and will still fix it out of warranty.
Still a big fan of Heart Land over other brands as far as a tow unit.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gang:
Yes, I have the frame flex issue on my Bighorn. Yes, I have to tow it 2000 miles from California (and back) for the repair. Yes, I now have the rig at my local RV repairer doing enough inspection and patch welds so I feel O.K. about towing those 2000 miles. Yes, the last 2 items are gong to cost me some money (maybe close to $3000, by my estimate). But Heartland is going to remove the front cap, re-enforce the frame, do all repainting and trim work to make the trailer like new in these areas, taking a week of a repair crew's time - ALL OF THIS FREE ON A 5 YEAR OLD UNIT!!! This is unheard of in the RV industry. I am counting on driving away from the factory as happy as VTXKid and Dave 49 were.

You know, I go to a lot of Heartland Rallies. I have been to 16 now including 2 Western Regional Rallies (will be 3 in October) and 1 National Rally (will be 2 when I finally start driving back home). HEARTLAND'S SUPPORT OF US OWNERS AND THESE RALLIES IS AWESOME - ESPECIALLY THE REGIONAL/NATIONAL RALLIES. I got a full return on my owners club membership fee at the first Regional Rally I attended. The gift handouts to owners from Heartland at the Gillette rally lasted 45 minutes, starting with a number of big screen TV's. Heartland crews fixed 2 items for me free at the Gillette national rally, and I am counting on them to fix 2 more free at the upcoming Goshen rally.

So yes, I have had some problems, and to get them repaired I am going to have to do my part, but Heartland comes through for me. Count me as a Heartland Cheerleader!! Go Heartland!!!
Well said Bill!
I'm not aware of another manufacturer out there that has this level of support.

rick_debbie_gallant

One change was with the 2010 model Bighorn and Landmarks they changed the frame in front where it goes vertical to the upper deck. On older units the front wall, where the cargo door is completely vertical. After 2010 you will note this wall is angled forward...this is due to an added a large gussett between the upper and lower deck for more strength, thereby reducing flex.

Our 3670 was a 2010 had the angled front end but we still had the "flex" problem. Yes heartland stepped up and fixed the flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pretty sure I had the same condition, but my dealer repaired it under the initial warranty in 2009 at the end of our first season of use. I brought it in for some service and mentioned that the bedroom floor squeaked and that there was a "ridge" under the carpet at the foot of the bed. The service report indicates they basically took the front apart and welded in some gussets. Been fine since.

ParkIt

Pretty sure I had the same condition, but my dealer repaired it under the initial warranty in 2009 at the end of our first season of use. I brought it in for some service and mentioned that the bedroom floor squeaked and that there was a "ridge" under the carpet at the foot of the bed. The service report indicates they basically took the front apart and welded in some gussets. Been fine since.
The upside to a tow company dropping our cap on his bed...they will replace the front cap and check all the frames they can (up to the entry) for any alignment issues or stress fractures including the basement. The amazing part is you cannot tell anywhere inside the unit how hard of a hit it took which has impressed me a great deal and I'm tough for a company to impress me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Other than the front end repair and the awning motor crapping out our first season, we've been pretty much problem free. Although the rear stabilizer motor quit two years ago, I fixed it myself (killed a ballpoint pen for it), everything else has been routine maintenance and inspection.

rick_debbie_gallant

Other than the front end repair and the awning motor crapping out our first season, we've been pretty much problem free. Although the rear stabilizer motor quit two years ago, I fixed it myself (killed a ballpoint pen for it), everything else has been routine maintenance and inspection.

Jon, I had the same problem with my awning motor. I traced it down when I took the motor apart and discovered that one of the brushes wire had wraped around something in the case. That made the motor not work because of zero contact with the armature. Once I freed up the wire to the brush it has been flawless ever sense.

zigzag3337

We have a 2012 Cyclone 3950 HD. The front cap has already been replaced due to stress cracks and now the front seams are starting to open up. There is also a buckle in the flooring above the hitch area. This was brought up with the dealer before the warranty had ran out and after having several email conversations with Heartland, and not only they have agreed to repair our coach, they also have agreed to transport it too. Thank you Heartland.

I just wished that either Lippert built a better frame or Heartland would start fabricating their own.

I sent Heartland a lot of pics, but here is a couple that really shows the issue.

Without weight on the hitch.

null_zps4c7a281f.jpg

With weight on the hitch

null_zpsb2f4f904.jpg

The buckle in the flooring above.

null_zpsd1b785cb.jpg

Vtxkid

They will take care of you zigzag... I just had my 3010HD up there at their shop a couple of weeks ago and they did a great job... matter of fact, I noticed that Lippert came in and not only welded gussetts vertically on each side adjacent to the generator cover but also added two horizontal triangle gussetts on each side and adjacent to the pin box even though I wasn't having any trouble in that area. Wanted to take pics during the repair but they asked that I didn't. Oh well, I seen what was done and am very happy with it!

ParkIt

They will take care of you zigzag... I just had my 3010HD up there at their shop a couple of weeks ago and they did a great job... matter of fact, I noticed that Lippert came in and not only welded gussetts vertically on each side adjacent to the generator cover but also added two horizontal triangle gussetts on each side and adjacent to the pin box even though I wasn't having any trouble in that area. Wanted to take pics during the repair but they asked that I didn't. Oh well, I seen what was done and am very happy with it!
Odd they wouldn't let you take pictures, wonder if they are concerned people would try to do this themselves?

Good to hear you got yours taken care of. Ours is headed to the shop, I'll go tomorrow when they have the cap off to see if there was any flex with damage.

zigzag3337

Thanks. At first I thought I was going to have to take it to them, but after working with the HRV rep and showing him documentation that I had problems before the warranty was up, they are going to transport it. I'll take plenty of pics before and after to see if I can notice the changes.

You would think with the cost of these repairs, they would get the problem resolved before sending them out to the consumer. Here is a pic of our girl getting her nose job done. The body shop at the dealer did a great job and unless I told you that it's been changed, you would never know it. This was done in December 2012 and at that time, I took a flashlight and checked all around the kingpin are for cracks in the welds or even fatigue in the framing area and I couldn't see anything that looked out of the norm.

9B60C569-12F8-40F5-90A4-C2B10CDBC30C-11968-00000EFEA7215BC6.jpg

donr827

I would think that Thor, owns Heartland, would be large enough to build their own frames for the same price they pay Lippert and eliminate the flex problem you hear so much about. I think that it would be a good selling point.
Don

Dave49

I can't say enough good about the work they done on my frame flex issue. They done excellent work and stand behind there product even after the warranty had expired. What more can one ask for when it comes to customer satisfaction. When the time comes I will most deffinately buy Heartland. But I just got it back from being repaired and I already have a new one after the repair. :)

Rest assured they do what they say!!

Dave

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)
Dave glad to here that all went well at the factory for you. Heartland is a stand up company in my opinion. Hope to see you down the road.

philgrg

From reading this thread it sounds as if I'm headed down the broken frame road too. I have a 2011 Road Warrior 395. It has developed a crack from the lower front corner of the bedroom slide. The crack closes up when on the landing gear and opens up more when lowered onto the hitch. I sent all of the requested photos to Heartland Customer Service now I guess it's wait and see what the verdict is.

Iv'e also had some issues with bubbles in the laminate sidewall. Sent photos of those as well. We really love our RV but this makes me sick to have this kind of problem on such a new unit. Hopefully we can get it all worked out.