Frame issues

jayco

Hello everyone, new to the forum. Looking at a new HL Elkridge Lite just worried about any possible frame issues. I currently own a Jayco tt and wanting to go to a fifth wheel. I recently found out that jayco no longer uses Dexter axles which why I'm looking very seriously at HL.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi jayco,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sometimes when people talk about frames, they mean the I-Beams that the whole trailer sits on. Sometimes they mean the upper frame structure at the pin box. Sometimes they mean the wall framing.

The I-Beam frame is from Lippert. I'm not sure who builds the upper frame at the pin box. The wall framing I'm pretty sure is made by Heartland.

What's your concern?

danemayer

Well, out of many tens of thousands of trailers shipped over the past 10 years, a relatively small number have reported problems with the upper frame structure near the pin box. It's usually described as frame flex. It's a relatively rare condition, but it does happen. There's also the occasional problem with side wall framing, but that's much less common.

It's notable that Heartland has repaired frame flex problems at no charge, whether in warranty, or even many years out of warranty.

The nature of forums is that people mostly post about problems, and then there's often a lot of discussion about the problem. It can seem like someone is reporting any given problem every day, when it's usually the same incident being discussed by a number of people over a period of days or weeks.

Your likelihood of having a frame problem is very low.

mlpeloquin

Hi jayco,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sometimes when people talk about frames, they mean the I-Beams that the whole trailer sits on. Sometimes they mean the upper frame structure at the pin box. Sometimes they mean the wall framing.

The I-Beam frame is from Lippert. I'm not sure who builds the upper frame at the pin box. The wall framing I'm pretty sure is made by Heartland.

What's your concern?

I am one of the few that has had a problem It was not frame flex, but a fastener problem. It is fixed and I love my Big Horn. Most people report a problem and are looking for solutions weather it is from others that have had the same problem or are very good at fixing things. Heartland has sold more RV's that you would want to count. Very few compared to the number that have been produced. As far as the upper pin box, when I had a fastener problem with the frames, I was told that company that made the upper pin box was bought out by Lippert. So it is now all Lippert as far as I know.

Problem solving is not the only thing you will find on the Heartland forum. Lost of people have made some personal upgrades and modifications to there trailers. This forum can give you the information on what can be done, how to do it, and where to purchase the items needed. You get to see the result of the work other people have done because most will post pictures. And if there was a problem during implementing the modification, you get the solution so you won't have to solve it. You may also find several ways other people have done similar things. When we do upgrade, it will be a Heartland.

ICamel

No problems with the frame on our Elkridge E22 Fifth Wheel in the 5 years we have owned it. Very few problems overall.

ray587

my 2012 roadwarrior has frame flex at the pinbox. just got authorization and date to bring it to factory for repairs. 4 years old and Heartland still stands behind it.

What exactly is frame flex? My 2009 Bighorn seems to 'float' between the pinbox and the body when going over bumps. Is this frame flex? I am very concerned about it and don't know what to do about it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Westwind

Ben.harke1065, when you lift the legs on your Bighorn when hitching up do you see movement of the hitchpin/front body of FW which would suggest that both have disconnected from each other, any cracks in the front sidewalls of the FW or separation of the joints seams of the front of the trailer around the cap which changes by opening more when you hitch up. If so take pictures of before hitching, after, and any cracks, get your vin# and contact Heartland, if you are the original owner they might help you resolve the problem.

No there are no cracks or any separation up front. I only notice the movement when watching the hitch in my mirror. I will hookup today and watch the hitchpin for movement.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Take a measurement of the distance from the top of the pin box to the bottom of the front cap before you hitch up and after all of the weight is on the hitch.
Depending on your floor plan you may be able to open the hydraulic or battery compartment and look towards the front of the trailer for some metal framing and observe the condition of any welds you might be able to see.

Peace
Dave

All of the welds that I can see look good. The movement of the front cap is about 1/2 inch after all the weight is on the truck. I cannot look forward from the front storage area. It is completely closed off.

Bones

I have been thinking about what everyone states for taking measurements. Aren't those measurements slightly subjective in relation to ground and when hooked up to the truck and the truck sag? Could you instead use a triangulation method basically pick a spot lower on the frame near the bottom of the neck and then pick a spot up around the pinbox. You could put tape in those spots and then measure. When on the landing gear the distance should be smaller then when on the truck if you have flex. Does any of this make any sense to anybody.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not when you are measuring two fixed spot on the trailer.
Measuring from the top of the pin box to the bottom of the front cap will not relate to the ground.

Peace
Dave

Bones

Not when you are measuring two fixed spot on the trailer.
Measuring from the top of the pin box to the bottom of the front cap will not relate to the ground.

Peace
Dave
You don't want to measure from a fixed spot on the ground. Too many variables are introduced. Think of a triangle when the 90 degree goes out of plum. Your angle will increase spreading the two fixed points on the side of the trailer revealing flex. Like a jaw opening and closing.

I found that the flex from the measured the top of the pinbox to the bottom of the front cap is about 3/8". I don't know if that is normal or not

Garypowell

Ben,

about 3/8" is about what mine moves and I am now scheduled to take it to Elkhart in June to have it fixed. So that must be enough HL mind.

I have no cracks inside.

Garypowell, have you actually located the area that is flexing or are you taking it in to find the problem and then fix it? I have no cracks inside or outside.