Frame Rust Part 2

tmcran

Well I dropped the under belly and found one spot of rust about the size of a quarter where one of the screws goes through the black material on the bottom. The screws heads are not rusted and after seeing some of the rust on newer RVs than mine I'm surprised I didn't found more. The only thing I can figure is although I have been in some serious rains I have not had to drive on roads with salt on them..

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Well I dropped the under belly and found one spot of rust about the size of a quarter where one of the screws goes through the black material on the bottom. The screws heads are not rusted and after seeing some of the rust on newer RVs than mine I'm surprised I didn't found more. The only thing I can figure is although I have been in some serious rains I have not had to drive on roads with salt on them..

Same here...that's actually why we ordered our Bighorn in late spring. That way we knew it was not subjected to salt while towing it to dealer...must have worked, we have no rust issues.

wdk450

Frankly, I don't know a lot about the rust issue, but your 4th picture seems to show a lot of pieces of loose powdercoat. I would question if the powdercoat was applied properly since it doesn't seem to stick to or protect the steel.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
RollingHome...You can find it at most Marine Supply stores. It is a little expensive...about $15 for a 12oz can. I use it quite a bit on all my vehicles. I did discover not to spray it on battery terminals as it creates some kind of a barrier that blocks the ground connection!

RollingHome

Thanks SJH, I thought West Marine went bye bye, Turns out they bought Boat US which went bye bye. I have used some of the products in your hot link i.e. Boe Shield ( Thanks Ray, didn't see it, duh). I guess what I'm asking SJH is a little unfair to you, have you used this stuff and what was you're opinion. In addition, being the cheapo I am, I'm always looking for a better price. But first, really first hand endorcements from folks like you I respect more then market hype. I'm sure you understand. In ending, I don't mind the high price tag "IF" it works... So I'm putting you on the spot (sorry) have you had good results with this stuff ? Again, sorry for putting you in that spot but I would like to learn thru you, from your experiences, please understand. In advance, Thanks for understanding. Tom

PS. Via the Hot Link, BoeShield was invented by Boeing Aircraft Company. I applied it to my airplane 10 years ago and I have not seen any corrosion inside the wings at all. The plane does not see salt air often but still 10 years and no corriosion is impressive to say the least. I do not think BoShield would protect our HL chasis though. To others, the hot link SJH posted had some really good products on it, I'm impressed ! Thank you SJH and Yeah, West Marine !