Frame Rust

berger

Hi all, we are looking for a tt and saw a North Trail bunk house at a rv show. I am new to camping and TT s in general. This rust issue is disturbing. Is this common to all tt or just the Heartland trailers? How could these trailers rust so fast. My grill has been outside for 9 years(4 uncovered) and has only a few small rust spots.

Cheers,
Ed
looking for our 1st TT

57chevyconvt

Rusty frames and axles are a big problem in my area. I would not recommend using any type of rubberized spray undercoat until all the rust has been transformed from iron oxide to iron phosphate using a good rust transformer such as Rust-X. Moisture will get behind the spay undercoat and mask the real problem. So chip, brush, and sand to remove all the loose rust (oxidation) before applying the Rust-X product which can be purchased at some building supply companies such as McCoy's. The Rust-X transforms the rust and leaves a coating that is sufficient for a primer coat prior to the top coat of a good industrial paint or maybe a light coat of spray undercoat.

sstanford

This is a general question to all Hearland owners, do you have rust on you chassis, slide mechanisms or other parts of your trailers?

I know I have large amounts of rust on the right side of my 2009 2900MK on the frame and where the slide mechanisms are located. This has caused me great concern and I am looking for ways to reverse the rust/corrision problem.

Is this something that Heartland will correct under warranty, instead of the owner having to find ways to correct it form getting any worse?

I had rust under my 2009 Bighorn as well but I called Jim Fenner at Heartland @ 574-262-8030 ext.1104 and they took care of me through my dealer. They told me that what caused the issue was is the de-icer on the roads when they brought the rv's down to the dealership. I would also call the dealer and get them involved. I wish you the best.

Scott

Shadowchek

After further investigation I found chunks of salt under my Horn that isn't a heartland issue it should have been thoroughly washed when arriving at the dealer and this wouldn't be an issue. They should do this on all winter arrivals.

jonesj2

Shadowcheck, I also have found salt inside of the front compartment before taking delivery, had to have dealer clean up mess.

I also recieved an email from Heartland yesterday and was not too happy with the answer. I just have not found the proper wording to reply back to the contact there. I like the reply it is vital to keep the undercarriage free of salt. Maybe they should instruct the dealers on how to properly clean prior to delivery or maybe I have a bad dealership.

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']The white spots are an indicator of salt, be it from the roads up here after production on route to the dealer or down there or in your travels. It is vital to keep the undercarriage of your unit free of salt as it does not matter what coating Lippert puts on the frame salt will eat through it. If you metal brush the rust off and spray it with a rustoleum it should resolve the issue going forward.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
If no salt is so vital, why is the frame not painted better...or the carriage undercoated??

M

Mcreech

All I can say is that we buy our frames from Lippert which makes roughly 80% of the frames in the TT and FW business. I have been at there plants and all the frames go through the same process nothing is different between Heartlands and the other manufacturers. However, when we hear that are customers aren't happy about rust appearing, we take the information you guys provide us back to Lippert and demand that they do something more to stop this problem.....It is a process they work on.
Mike C

HappyKayakers

This is a real puzzler. If road salt is the culprit, then how would one explain only one side of the rig being rusty? And not spotted, the entire rail full of rust.

talley

My 2006 Bighorn was mfg in Feb. 2006 and delivered to the dealer in Texas. The rust was heavy paint/coating flaking on the two main rails. I received the same comments posted above last summer from Heartland and Lippert. Lippert was pretty blunt about it... salt must be washed from underside. Dealer should have performed task when it was delivered. Little salt is used on winter Texas roads and dealer probably not up to snuff on this. The lesson I learned is to find out the mfg/delivery date to avoid exposure to towing on roads using salt to de-ice roads.

chrizg

Here are pics from Big Country 2009 2950RK built in Jan 08, purchased in March of 08. Lets just say I am not so happy. When I asked the dealer I purchased from, his response was, "I have lots of new campers on the lot with rust"

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

jnbhobe

I have a 2009 BH 3370 delivered to the dealer in march to NW Pa. THere is no rust anywhere.Dealer told me they wash the under side of anything that comes in in bad weather.

arekced

Rust

I once owned a 23 ft travel trailer that had the same problem with. I used a product called 3M Undercoating. It costs roughly 10.00 per can and I used 8 to 9 cans. When I purchased my 2008 Sundance the first thing I did was undercoat all of the side outs, wheel wells, battery box and screws holding up the corragated plastic panels on the underside. It is messy due to the fact that you are up side down spraying overhead. Mineral spirits was used to clean up myself and any area that I oversprayed. This stuff hardens some what but doesn't turn brittle. Every other year I look over the underside for areas that need a touch up. I hope this helps you

Arekced

jcarnevale

Re: Rust

The 2010 3300RLB we're looking at (sitting on dealer lot) was manufactured 11/08 and has a lot of frame rust. We don't know what to do! I can't bring myself to paying 30 something for a brand new coach that has rust on it, there's just something wrong with that.

Jay

aatauses

We purchased our BH in Feb 2009. At the time I mentioned to the dealer about the rust and got nowhere. I then called HL who referred me to Lippert. They reviewed the pictures and said the dealer did not prep it properly. The dealer did not want anything to do with it----After this went on for about 3-4 months I decided to replace every nut/bolt/screw I could find with either stainless or prepaint the bolts. I then bought some rust inhibitor and rustoleum and took about 3 days under the unit and feel pretty good about it now.
al

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I know I keep beating a dead horse but here are some pictures of the rust I have been speaking of. The more I think about this I am going to send the pictures to the factory to see how I can have this resolved, notice how corroded the bell and adjustments are.

I am concerned this may be a problem down the road.

Hey...our rig looks just like that and we have had it only 2 months!

ChopperBill

Agree! My frame looks like it took a salt bath!
Gee! I forgot all about this post. I got to thinking about this quite awhile after posting. I Remember us coming back from AZ one winter and going through Colo Springs on our way back ran into a 1 - 2 inch snow storm that was melting. When we got home the trailer was a mess! Now I am sure it was calcium chloride that was on the roads. That stuff will destroy anything if it isnt rinsed off. I didnt even think about it at the time but that is about when my rust started showing up. It didnt take long to paint the rear stabilizers and an other stuff and it looks pretty good now.

porthole

Retired
I work part time for a boat towing company and we use Coraseal (sp?) and Pro 51.
Both work good. Coraseal converts the rust to Magnetite (sp again?) and since is water soluble needs to be protected with paint. The Pro 51 is a one part coating that we have had good luck with and is available in colors.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

The 2010 3300RLB we're looking at (sitting on dealer lot) was manufactured 11/08 and has a lot of frame rust. We don't know what to do! I can't bring myself to paying 30 something for a brand new coach that has rust on it, there's just something wrong with that.

Jay
Be sure to shop around......you can get one for a lot less than that.