Freeze Control Sensor Dometic A 15,000 BTU

I have just replaced my original (2009) rooftop AC unit with a Dometic 15,000 BTU Brisk 2 unit. I reused the old control box and analog thermostat and seems to work well. My question is, the new unit did not come with a Freeze Control Sensor. Dometic will not answer questions for me because I am not an official Dometic installer, by the way they told me I have no warranty because I did not by it from an official Dometic installation shop, I have tried asking PPL and looked for an answer online. PPL just says if it is a part over 10 years replace it. They are not sure about the Freeze Sensor. The only discussions I have found go both ways. One says if you only use the hi fan mode it is not necessary. The other says if you are in hotter temps you probably don't need to worry about it, I am Las Vegas so it is almost always hot.

I have the old one from my old unit but it is 11 years old and has a very large attachment that goes in the coil and makes me nervous bending the fins that wide. Would a new sensor work with my old control box? The plug is the same and the sensor appears to be very slim and easy to put in the coil. Any help would be appreciated.

wdk450

I have my original (11 year old) "puck" style freeze sensor installed in my replacement cooling unit that I installed last year. It works OK, and causes minimal cooling fin displacement. It was engineered to install this way. The newer probe style sensor installs in the same place in the evaporator grill. Either style can be bought on E-Bay.

Attachments

• puck freeze sensor.jpg
    puck freeze sensor.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 19

Flick

I have just replaced my original (2009) rooftop AC unit with a Dometic 15,000 BTU Brisk 2 unit. I reused the old control box and analog thermostat and seems to work well. My question is, the new unit did not come with a Freeze Control Sensor. Dometic will not answer questions for me because I am not an official Dometic installer, by the way they told me I have no warranty because I did not by it from an official Dometic installation shop, I have tried asking PPL and looked for an answer online. PPL just says if it is a part over 10 years replace it. They are not sure about the Freeze Sensor. The only discussions I have found go both ways. One says if you only use the hi fan mode it is not necessary. The other says if you are in hotter temps you probably don't need to worry about it, I am Las Vegas so it is almost always hot.

I have the old one from my old unit but it is 11 years old and has a very large attachment that goes in the coil and makes me nervous bending the fins that wide. Would a new sensor work with my old control box? The plug is the same and the sensor appears to be very slim and easy to put in the coil. Any help would be appreciated.

Couple of points I’d like to mention.
First, we replaced our living room ac last summer with a Brisk Air 2 and it didn’t come with a freeze sensor either. I didn’t install the old sensor. I know. Someone will say you may harm the compressor, but if you have a sensor in place, it runs a good while before it cuts off also. If the unit ices up, I’ll thaw it out and move on. Ac units have been in use way before freeze sensors were installed and I suppose a lot of them are still cooling even after icing a time or two. The unit will throw a little warm air for a while but it’ll be ok.

Second thing on the warranty. We bought ours on amazon and it was shipped with a registration card and a 2 year warranty certificate. I installed it myself. I believe you may have talked to someone at Dometic that just started their job the day before and probably is clueless.

danemayer

Warranty coverage is governed by what's actually written on the Limited Warranty Statement published by Dometic for that unit. What you are told by employees or reps is meaningless if it disagrees with the written statement.

If the written statement actually says warranty is denied for self-installs, Dometic can still decide, in the interest of customer satisfaction, whether to cover the repair. And if you don't bring it up with the repair shop, how would they know who installed the unit?