Freeze Protection for external hoses

Boozecamp

We have a new Bighorn, we live in it about 5 days a week (work camp). We live in central GA where winters are not harsh, but there are those days/nights it can get down in the low 20's, but day time temps usually, creep back up above freezing. I'm not so concerned about the underbelly stuff as we'll keep the gas furnace on for those subfreezing nights. It's the water hose I'm trying to keep from freezing. Not really interested in trying to remember to disconnect it every night before bed. The Frost King heat cables are great, but they clearly state, not for use on garden hoses. Are there any other inexpensive methods or heating tapes/cables I can use?
I've even considered digging a trench and burying most of the hose length. I'm in a sandy area. Not interested in spending over $100 for another hose that's equipped with heat tape. Thanks for advice from you full-timers.

GOTTOYS

I've used some foam pipe insulation when in the Texas Hill country. It's comes in different sizes for different diameter pipe. Make up a water hose that's just the right length so you have no excess, then cover it with a couple layers of the foam. I also wrapped mine with duct tape to cover the foam. You will also need to cover the standpipe coming out of the ground. I've seen some pretty creative boxes and pails filled with foam to do this. Don

danemayer

Hi Boozecamp,

I've used Pirit heated hoses, but my personal experience with them has been unsatisfactory from a quality standpoint, so I can't recommend them. I've had good success making my own heated hoses using Easy Heat 30' Pipe Heating Cable. Here's a link.

We have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that has tips on putting the hose together along with a lot of other useful information on how to keep the water running in extreme weather.

Boozecamp

Hi Boozecamp,

I've used Pirit heated hoses, but my personal experience with them has been unsatisfactory from a quality standpoint, so I can't recommend them. I've had good success making my own heated hoses using Easy Heat 30' Pipe Heating Cable. Here's a link.

We have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that has tips on putting the hose together along with a lot of other useful information on how to keep the water running in extreme weather.

Danemayer, thanks for the idea. This is what I want to do, but don't want to run the risk of burning my water hose. Can you please explain how you installed it?

Lou_and_Bette

Hi Boozecamp,
I've had good success making my own heated hoses using Easy Heat 30' Pipe Heating Cable.

I, like Dan, have had good luck using these...I buy a few large diameter foam pipe wraps and with heat tape taped near the end of the hose that will attach to the RV, thread both the hose and the tape through the foam tube trying not to separate the foam tube at the split. If the foam tube does split, I reclose with duct/gorilla tape. Never had the hose melt.

rxbristol

Hi Boozecamp,

Dan, thanks for the link. I did not know that Easy Heat existed...gonna get some for this winter.

Hunter11

Rex, I would agree with you when it comes to the Pirit hoses. I have not seen many good reviews of them but the new Camco seems to be working good for most. I guess we will find out this Winter. The good thing is it does not get that
cold down here very often.

rxbristol

Rex, I would agree with you when it comes to the Pirit hoses. I have not seen many good reviews of them but the new Camco seems to be working good for most. I guess we will find out this Winter. The good thing is it does not get that
cold down here very often.

Yeah, the reviews look good. Not sure it would work for me because of the tall risers they use at the RV park I'm currently staying at...they have to be heated too. Several people had to pay to have theirs replaced last year because they did not disconnect and let the water drain down the riser back into the ground via a check valve on the nights it got exceptionally cold.

nomad45

Hi Boozecamp,

Another victim of "Pirit" hose failure:

Checking my second-season Pirit hose for proper operation the other night, I found that its thermostat had quit working. The older model orange hoses are apparently notorious for this problem. I’m not sure if the newer blue models with the “extension” thermostats last any longer - too early to tell.

Being spoiled with the convenience (not the price tag) of a heated hose, I didn’t want to cobble up a regular hose with heat tape, insulation, gorilla tape, and all that work (been there), but I also didn’t want to fork out another $250+ for a new 50’ heated hose either (especially not another Pirit). Since this one was toast anyway, I did some surgery on it - had nothing to lose at this point.

After trimming back the “bend restrictor” on the male (output) end, I snipped out the tiny square thermostat, soldered the wires back together, covered with electrical tape, shrink-wrapped, and then covered the whole end with two wraps of rubber tape. Caution: Be very careful when cutting away the plastic "bend restrictor" material. It is fairly tough stuff, and there is a risk of nicking the hose underneath, an insulated wire, or your hand if you slip! I just scored the surface in a spiral, and then used a needle-nosed pliers to peel it away.

IMG_4546.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

Then, to regulate the temperature, I plugged it into a “EasyHeat” cube, found at Lowe’s or Home Depot for around $16, making sure the cube was hanging in a dry, exposed location under my coach, near the UDC. A short, 12 gauge extension cord connected the cube back to the GFCI outlet in the UDC. A quick look under the coach tells me if the cube is lit, indicating the hose circuit is “on”.

This setup also allows both ends of the hose to be connected in protected locations without having to use a “shortie” hose to expose the thermostat end as before. To use the GFCI outlet in the UDC, I had to use adapters on each end of the hose to flip it 180. (Note: The cube is designed for DRY applications, so caution is needed in finding a suitable outdoor location.)

Hope this will help some folks who may encounter the problem in the future.
Dave

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So far this year our orange Pirit hose has worked (knock on wood). This is all good info in case it fails. Would it be ok to use the "easy heat cable" on a failed Pirit hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

So far this year our orange Pirit hose has worked (knock on wood). This is all good info in case it fails. Would it be ok to use the "easy heat cable" on a failed Pirit hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Easy Heat cable on my first failed Pirit. But I like Dave's solution better.