Freezer working, fridge is not.

Dreamer7

Please provide feedback asap. Are there fuses that should be checked. Sorry if this is a double post. I didn't see prior post. My friend is using camper so I am not there. Green light is on and it's plugged into electric... thank you in advance.

LBR

Re: Help! Freezer working, fridge is not!

Please state what type of refrigerator you have...you started a thread in each...does it use propane?, or residential AC?

Dreamer7

Re: Help! Freezer working, fridge is not!

Please state what type of refrigerator you have...you started a thread in each...does it use propane?, or residential AC?

I thought both, it's currently plugged in. If freezer works shouldn't fridge? I'll check on fridge type.

danemayer

Katy,

I've consolidated the threads into one.

It would help if you could tell everyone the brand (Norcold or Dometic) and if possible the Model # of the refrigerator.

hoefler

How long has it been on?? It needs to be on for 24 hours before using it

Did he let it cool down before loading it??

Did he fill with a bunch of warm items??

Dreamer7

Thank you. They have not put anything in fridge yet. Does freezer get cold first? Brand is Norcold. It's parked for a fair and they didn't stay there last night. I'm hoping it's cold by today. Someone mentioned a hose might be pinched. Any idea where to look for that? Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

This webpage has tests to check out your cooling unit: http://rvcoolingunit.com/Tech_Information-W508.aspx

Unfortunately that link didn't work...

- - - Updated - - -

Katy,

I've consolidated the threads into one.

It would help if you could tell everyone the brand (Norcold or Dometic) and if possible the Model # of the refrigerator.

Thank you. You can tell I was panicking. Does it take a few minutes for posts to show? Brand is Norcold.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a Norcold. It's plugged into electric. It can use propane bc button to turn it on says if red check propane. But light is green and it's plugged into electric.

LBR

So it is a gas absorption type...

The freezer will get noticably cold long before fridge does...freezer cold air is then circulated throughout the fridge to cool it down, and that is what takes the longer time. If still not cold after the 20+ hours, then there is a problem...keep everyone posted.

Dreamer7

PS Love your tag line! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

So it is a gas absorption type...

The freezer will get noticably cold long before fridge does...freezer cold air is then circulated throughout the fridge to cool it down, and that is what takes the longer time. If still not cold after the 20+ hours, then there is a problem...keep everyone posted.

Excellent. Thanks so much. Will let you know! They didn't stay in camper last night, parked it a day ahead for the fair and plugged it in around 5:30 last night.

carl.swoyer

Classic sign of failure. The ammonia always circulates to the freezer first then to the refrigerator. This is why the freezer is always cold. Inside frig temp should be 38° or lower. You probably will need a cooling unit replaced. You can disconnect the thermistors, the wire behind the light it goes to the aluminum Finn's on the rear of the frig. This will cause the unit to run 24/7. Keep it closed for twenty four hours. Check the temperature with a laser thermometer. If you have freezing temperatures you might have a bad thermistor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

One question that is not asked in the previous posts is the outside air temp where the trailer is parked. Once temps get into the 90s and in my case the 100+ outside the fridge will not cool as efficiently as with lower outside temps. The freezer will get below freezing but the lower section (fridge) will not cool into safe temps. In my case, it does not get below 50 with outside temps at 100 or better. When I first ran into this I checked with my RV service people and they said that is just the nature of these units. I turn the fridge on, let it work for a day or more and then pack early in the morning I am going to leave. It will cool into the low 40's at night with outside temps into the 80s.

Dreamer7

Try running it on gas to see if it works that way as well.

I think she tried that but may have expected instant feel of cold air in fridge. I haven't heard from her since Saturday, so I'm hoping for the best but may drive down tomorrow to check.

- - - Updated - - -

One question that is not asked in the previous posts is the outside air temp where the trailer is parked. Once temps get into the 90s and in my case the 100+ outside the fridge will not cool as efficiently as with lower outside temps. The freezer will get below freezing but the lower section (fridge) will not cool into safe temps. In my case, it does not get below 50 with outside temps at 100 or better. When I first ran into this I checked with my RV service people and they said that is just the nature of these units. I turn the fridge on, let it work for a day or more and then pack early in the morning I am going to leave. It will cool into the low 40's at night with outside temps into the 80s.

Good point, it was extremely hot Saturday, and she sent me that message shortly after getting there. I didn't remember how long it takes to cool down, I should have started propane ahead of time. Still waiting to hear back from her since Sat night. Hope it worked itself out. Thanks Lynn.

- - - Updated - - -

Classic sign of failure. The ammonia always circulates to the freezer first then to the refrigerator. This is why the freezer is always cold. Inside frig temp should be 38° or lower. You probably will need a cooling unit replaced. You can disconnect the thermistors, the wire behind the light it goes to the aluminum Finn's on the rear of the frig. This will cause the unit to run 24/7. Keep it closed for twenty four hours. Check the temperature with a laser thermometer. If you have freezing temperatures you might have a bad thermistor.

Carl, I'm going to pretend you didn't write that first sentence! Ha! Seriously though, thank you for info. Really appreciate it. Waiting to hear back from them.... fingers crossed! However, if not, where can I get these parts and do you think I could fix it myself? I'm learning how rewarding fixing things (mechanical) yourself can be if I have the know how. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I cannot put a price on the experience and consideration of everyone on here who is so helpful.

carl.swoyer

Do the thermistor test​ first. But you need the infra red thermometer. Keep the unit closed for twenty four hours. You should see ice buildup in the Finn's . Random readings should reflect very cold almost near freezing temperatures. if the results are in the freeze range try a new thermistors . Camping Worlds or order on line. Need to have your model number. Possibly call norcold ( nevercold.lol) they may send you one.

wdk450

Right now in California we are experiencing temperatures in excess of 100 degrees for a week or more. I hung an extra fan I had on the lower outside refrigerator vent blowing in. I also keep a couple of the large blue ice blocks in my freezer. I freeze them overnight, and then put them in the refrigerator compartment about noon time to get me through the noon to 8pm high temperatures.

mlpeloquin

Check your 12V DC power. If your converter's voltage is over 13.5V, such as 16.76V, the cause is the converter. Took me four days earlier this year to figure it out. Frozen freezer and 50 degree refrigerator. Also check the seals around the refrigerator doors. Use a dollar bill or a two inch wide six inch length of paper. Place it between the seals. It should have mechanical resistance all the way around.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It is also important to have the refrigerator level.

The fridge can be damaged if run for prolonged periods if not level.

Dreamer7

It is also important to have the refrigerator level.

The fridge can be damaged if run for prolonged periods if not level.

Ok, thank you John.

- - - Updated - - -

Check your 12V DC power. If your converter's voltage is over 13.5V, such as 16.76V, the cause is the converter. Took me four days earlier this year to figure it out. Frozen freezer and 50 degree refrigerator. Also check the seals around the refrigerator doors. Use a dollar bill or a two inch wide six inch length of paper. Place it between the seals. It should have mechanical resistance all the way around.

There is so much to learn. Thank you for that, I'll need to start learning more about how to check electric voltage (redundant !). So fridge apprears to be fine now but they have no hot water. I better learn a whole lot more about my camper (i.e. Use it!) asap. I think she had turned on the LP switch so I told her to look for second electric switch somewhere...

- - - Updated - - -

Right now in California we are experiencing temperatures in excess of 100 degrees for a week or more. I hung an extra fan I had on the lower outside refrigerator vent blowing in. I also keep a couple of the large blue ice blocks in my freezer. I freeze them overnight, and then put them in the refrigerator compartment about noon time to get me through the noon to 8pm high temperatures.

Oh wow! Hang in there! I know having the awning out will help with the shade and all but worry about pop up storms and wind when not at the camper. I heard horror stories when at the lake so I probably need to learn how to make an awning more "permanent" while camping.

My my sister lives in Mi Wuk Village in CA in the mountains (an hour from Yosemite) and they worry about wildfires a lot bc they are in the mountains. I hope it cools off for you soon, thanks for the tips.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the thermistor test​ first. But you need the infra red thermometer. Keep the unit closed for twenty four hours. You should see ice buildup in the Finn's . Random readings should reflect very cold almost near freezing temperatures. if the results are in the freeze range try a new thermistors . Camping Worlds or order on line. Need to have your model number. Possibly call norcold ( nevercold.lol) they may send you one.

Haha. Ok what's a better fridge if I ever replace this one? It appears to be working fine now, sorry I don't have the model number as I'm not there and she will be swamped w events today. I just completely forgot how long it takes to cool. I'm hoping there is no problem with it as in two years it's barely been used! It's been almost impossible to find a handyman for my house I can't even imagine trying to find someone to replace a camper fridge! Lol. Oh, what is a finns (fridge?). Thanks Carl.