Fresh tank leak hose replacement

robnmo

We've developed a water leak where the flow through hose connects the two fresh tanks it's about a 1 1/2 in hose and they used a spiral flexible type (similiar to a cheap swimming pool filter hose) it has 2 clamps on each end connecting the tanks. I've tightened down the clamps and it stopped for a few days, but now it started leaking slightly. I know a spiral hose is tough to get to seal up with hose clamps, I'm thinking of changing it out to a smooth hose that will seal up better, has anyone changed this hose out if so what type of hose did ya use. Thanks for any info.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would be concerned about the tanks moving or shifting. With a "solid hose", there may be stress on the connections? Does it look like the same hose as the big fill line coming from the UDC? If the tanks are mounted and there is no movement possible, a simple braided poly hose would be fine but you should pull the existing hose so you can determine the exact size.

robnmo

I would say it is the same size or maybe a tad larger, I let the tanks drain all night last night, going to pull it today for an exact size then see what HD or Lowe's has to offer if I can't get this one to seal up.

I would be concerned about the tanks moving or shifting. With a "solid hose", there may be stress on the connections? Does it look like the same hose as the big fill line coming from the UDC? If the tanks are mounted and there is no movement possible, a simple braided poly hose would be fine but you should pull the existing hose so you can determine the exact size.

sharmulst

Was wondering if I may have similar problem. I have a water drip from same general area. However I have a Bighorn and don't know if there are two tanks or not. I have another symptom though of only being able to use the top 1/3 of water. The pump acts as though it is running out of water at that point. I know that tank is nearly full as it doesn't take long to top off again.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Was wondering if I may have similar problem. I have a water drip from same general area. However I have a Bighorn and don't know if there are two tanks or not. I have another symptom though of only being able to use the top 1/3 of water. The pump acts as though it is running out of water at that point. I know that tank is nearly full as it doesn't take long to top off again.

Steve, the 2006 Bighorns only have one fresh water tank. I hate to say it, but it sounds as if you'll have to get into the belly of the beast to figure out where the water is coming from. The tube from the tank to the pump comes off of the bottom edge of the tank so I really can't explain why it will only use 1/3 tank. I know the early Bighorns had several, 3 I think, vent lines protruding from the belly near the rear left tire. Possible vent line blocked and not allowing air into the tank causing the pump to not be able to draw water???? I'm grabbing at straws now.

robnmo

Well ours is a continuing problem, to find the leak I loosened one side of the belly pan and saw the drip, and pulling the entire pan off (and all attachments) was NOT an option so I performed a surgical C section in the belly pan to gain access. Replaced the hose, leak stopped for a few days then started it's small slow drip again, went to tighten it and the hose punctured at the clamp. Put a new one on yesterday just snug, let both ends drip, and tightened both clamps slowly one end sealed up the original problem still drips, alot slower but still there. So today it comes off again and last resort, I'm going to put a small ring of food grade silicone to slide the hose over and seal it up. I checked the barbed tank nipple don't see any cracks, holes or any damage it just refuses to seal up, and from the looks of it I'd say it's been leaking since we took delivery. Once we get home this summer I guess I'll drop the pan and see what else is going on in there.