Fresh water fill from jugs

MTPockets

The question was posted on another forum: How can I fill my fresh water tank from water jugs? I've never thought about it, but if I ever needed to, how is it done?

danemayer

Saw this a few months ago - For old style gravity fill - flip the antifreeze valve and use the antifreeze suction with water pump ON to pump the water out of the jugs, while using the outside shower hose to feed the water into the fresh tank fill tube.

For the 4-way Anderson valve, if it has a check valve on the water inlet, I think you need to elevate the jug high enough that gravity would overcome the check valve. Maybe setting it on top of your truck roof would do the trick. But it's possible it doesn't need a check valve since you need to switch the valve to a different position (normal) to use the pump. If there's no check valve, I would think the water would pour in without difficulty. Just need someone to try it.

MTPockets

I should have said, we have the 4 way Anderson valve. I don't know of a check valve, so maybe a short hose and a funnel would work.

bigdob24

I tried to fill mine and no luck with a gravity flow.
I had a 120 volt transfer pump and a 7 gal and a 20 gal tank that I can pump from. You need the pump.
Not sure if enough pressure will do it thru the valve with gravity flow , I kinda doubt it , so find a pump or pressure fill from a faucet .

ricatic

I have done the antifreeze line into the jug and the shower hose into the gravity fill method many times...works great...just make sure you return the antifreeze valve back to the Normal position...BTDT and wasted a water pump...

Regards

porthole

Retired
I've made some plumbing changes which allow me to use the coach's water pump and the winterizing valve.
Basically just a small valve (same type as on HWH bypass) inline from a tee in the pressure line going to a tee in the supply line.
I use a 28 gallo water tank that I just run a hose from the tank to the winterizing valve.

Lynn1130

I have an old RV water pump that that I rebuilt. For a long time I used that pump with a 12 volt connection to pump water from jugs to the holding tank. I have since replaced the jugs with a 35 gal tote and I use the same pump to transfer water to the tank. I pull up next to the trailer with the truck, hook up the 12 volt to a battery and use a hose from the tote and to the tank, pump water in.

Last edited: