Fresh Water Filling

I have an 2011 3070RL and when I try to fill the gravity flow fresh water, I always get water backing out the inlet. This is true even if my flow rate is low. I am trying to add some bleach for clean out and i can't get it in. I have tried funnels, hoses part way down the hole, etc but not much luck. When I fill the fresh water from our home water system, I have to hold very firmly to the hose to get it in without getting soaked. This should be simple but why can't a funnel and short hose work easily? Thanks in advance

jnbhobe

Pull out the basement wall behind the UDC and check to see if there is a crimp in the fresh water fill or more important the vent line. You can also put a piece of hose against the vent hole and try to blow the water out of the vent line. I would do the latter and at the same time cut out any extra slack and tie the vent up to the floor above the fill line.

hoefler

There is a low spot in the fill hose, the vent hose, or both. Gain access to behind the gravity fill station, remove both hoses and pull them up to remove any low spot. Either support them to get them to drain, or cut them shorter to keep water from being trapped in them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It doesn't necessarily need to have a crimp in it. If the fill hose has a droop in it behind the UDC, it will fill with water and cause it to burp out the fill port. You may need a longer length of smaller hose inserted into the fill tube to get past the droop (or lift it up somehow as you fill). I ended up shoving about six feet of tubing into the port, connected to my fill line, to get water into the tank. I don't normally use the tank, but wanted to have some water on board in the event of park power going out during a storm (thus killing the CG's pumps) and still being able to flush the toilet. Next spring's "to do" list includes modifying the gravity fill line.

JohnDar

This may illustrate the problem. When the gravity fill line starts to fill, it may be loose enough to droop further than you see in this photo. When it does, water stops flowing to the tank and starts coming back out the fill port. Unless you can straighten it out, removing the droop, or stuff a section of tubing in past it, you won't get any water into the tank. Don't be too surprised if it's got a crimp/bend from a cable tie right about where it rises up past the drain pipe. Once I got the tubing past that point, I was able to flow water to the tank.

BTW, the first time I pulled the basement wall off, the heater duct to the bedroom drooped almost to the floor behind it. Not a good thing for air flow.

View attachment 17025

hoefler

Another way around filling through the gravity fill, is to install a Tee fitting in the line from the city hook up and one in the feed line from the tank to the pump. Connect these two lines together with a valve in it somewhere where it can be readily accessed. While hooked to city water, just open the valve and you are filling the water tank. I have done this mod to our coach and makes filling a breeze.

DougS

Doug S
I also use a 4-6 foot length of 1/2 hose with the metal end cut off pushed into the fill hole. I pump the water in with a small portable 12 volt water pump that fits hoses. I can pump 5 gallons at a time or 45 gallons from a water ballon that is transported on truck roof.

Wharton

hoefller,

My husband is thinking abut doing this and he has 2 questions: 1) what type of valve did you use? and 2) Is it accessible from the UDC? Thanks

rick_debbie_gallant

I am lazy. (not really) I simply take off the shower head, stick the hose into the orifice and turn on the shower, cold water of course. It is filtered, clean and tastes good. Works for me. My story and I am sticking to it.

hoefler

I have an 06 Landmark, I used Pex water line and valve. I installed it in the basement right behind the panel to access the water heater bypass next to the valves that switch from tank to city to power drain to winterize. You can get them at Lowe's and Home Depot. I am a contractor and have the tools and pieces on hand to do the mod.

TedS

I wonder if Heartland has a kit available for the new feature in the new Bighorn, City Water Hook Up with High Pressure Fresh Tank Fill ?
Saw this on the Heartland website in the standard features for the new Bighorns. They may be getting a clue.

Wharton

hoefler,

Have not been to HD yet. Is there a Pex connector for braided nylon hose? Do you have the valve in the UDC or does the baement access door need to come off each time you fill?

ChopperBill

Has anyone tried one of these? I saw it at CW the other day.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/secure-fill/31795

Good find! I like the looks of this. I think it is a type of high pressure fill you guys are talking about. I have tried about all the methods talked about on the forums and still have some problems. Never get water out of the vent it always comes out the filler when its full. Problem is I never know if it is completely full. This just might be the answer.

On edit: just ordered one, free shipping on Cyber Mon.

JohnDar

Good find! I like the looks of this. I think it is a type of high pressure fill you guys are talking about. I have tried about all the methods talked about on the forums and still have some problems. Never get water out of the vent it always comes out the filler when its full. Problem is I never know if it is completely full. This just might be the answer.

On edit: just ordered one, free shipping on Cyber Mon.

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the cap has vent holes in it. If it does, so much for creating enough pressure to force the water to the tank. The short piece of tubing won't do much to help unless you can block those holes somehow.

ChopperBill

Did not really notice that. I may have to put big rubber washer there. Got lots of tubing and can make the hose longer. I will do a review when I get it. I fill mine from tank with a marine pump most of the time and always seem to have a problem with the hose coming out of the filler when I am doing other things. Will at least eliminate that annoying problem. Got all excited about FREE freight! :eek:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am thinking of getting one also. You can always make the hose like 4 feet or so. I hope it works!!!

Before I fill the fresh water tank I have a foot long hose that I use to blow into the vent tube first.
Seems like water gets into the vent and causes water to come out the filler tube before the tank is
full. This works for me anyway