fresh water tank access

We have a 2012 cyclone 4015. Currently we are in Idaho slowly heading to Alabama for the winter. We had never filled the fresh water tank as we stay in campgrounds with water most of the time. We were going to beendock the other day and started to fill the tank, when it was about 3/4 full water started leaking from under the botom cover, I made an access and looked forward, I could see water was running from the area of the hookups. but could not see the water tank to check for a leak or hose not hooked up. The water continued leaking untill it was less than 3/4 full. The pump worked correctly and still does. I wonder if there is an access to the tank? I have called heartland warranty and opened a claim. I will take it to a repair facility when we are in Alabama. We live in the RV full time so taking to a shop or leaving it is a problem for us. If I could access the tank I could possibly fix it myself.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The tank location is somewhere near the axles but I'm not sure exactly on a Cyclone. You may have a hose loose on a fitting between the fill port and the tank or a vent line loose somewhere. To access the area behind the UDC you need to remove the rear panel in the basement wall adjacent to the UDC. The tank can be accessed by removing the underbelly. Start by removing the self drilling screws on one side and pull down the coroplast to find the exact location of the tank. I have read posts regarding the hose that connects the 2 fresh tanks together being a problem.
Call Heartland and explain your situation. They may authorize someone to come to your rig if you pay the travel charges. Can't hurt to try.

Tool958

We had the same thing happen to us while we were on the way to Loveland, Co. It was the crossover tube from one fresh tank to the other. The clamp had worked loose and it didn't show up until we were on the road. Opened the tank drain and let it drain down on the interstate. Eventually it stopped running out of the belly. Fortunately, Heartland covered the repair. Guess this is pretty common on the double tanks. We were asked if we overpressured the tanks filling it up. I filled it like I always had. Made sure there was room when I put the hose in to let it vent. Hopefully this won't happen again.

usnthedog

Does anyone know when Heartland started using two tanks? How are they tubed together? 2011 Greystone 32RE.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Does anyone know when Heartland started using two tanks? How are they tubed together? 2011 Greystone 32RE.

Thanks
From what I've seen here on the forum, the two tanks are side by side connected with a flex hose of about 1" in diameter and maybe 4 to 6 inches long. This hose is ribbed and doesn't seem to seal very well to the tank fittings. Using sealant isn't much use because the tank material is polyethylene and they don't bond well.