Fresh water tank filling up?

1stchevy

When I hook up to water to the city water hook up my fresh water tank fills up. If you leave it hooked up it will over flow. If you turn it over and try to use the pump system the pump runs all the time. We are at a camp ground does anybody have any ideas why it would be doing this if so how or what do I need to do to fix it? Thanks...

danemayer

Hi 1stchevy,

The fresh tank is filling by itself because the water pump is allowing city water to run backwards through it. There's a type of one-way valve in the pump that is supposed to prevent this from happening, but if crud gets inside the valve, it can stick partially open. There are 2 ways to fix it: 1) replace the pump 2) add an in-line check valve like this one. There's a drawing that illustrates the problem in our owner-written Water Systems Guide, on page 11.

Pump running all the time can be several things: 1) bad pump, 2) pressure adjustment on the pump, 3) air intake from having a leak on the intake side of the pump, or from a loose connection, and most commonly 4) the winterizing valve that is used to draw antifreeze into the pump is partially open. Also, if you have the Anderson 4-way valve in the UDC, it has to be in NORMAL position with pump on for the pump to draw water out of the fresh tank. If in any other position, the pump will run continuously because it's not getting any water.

galee78

Is it possible that you have your connection connected to the correct inlet?
I have filled the black water by mistake in the past. Now they have labels on them thanks to my boss (wife).

1stchevy

The pump does run all the time is there anything I can do to get me thought the weekend a quick fix of some sort. Thanks again..

scottyb

The pump does run all the time is there anything I can do to get me thought the weekend a quick fix of some sort. Thanks again..

If you have the Shurflo Smartsense 5.7, it may be defective. It was discontinued and is being replaced during warranty with a 4048. I had the same issue as you are describing, ran some diagnostics with Shurflo's guidance, and determined it was defective. They 1st had me remove the inline sediment screen and connect the hose straight to the pump. Then removed the suction hose from the Anderson valve, to eliminate possible air breaks. Then they had me put the suction hose in a bucket of water and run the pump. After that failed, they had me reduce the high pressure cutoff point. This also failed to shut the pump off.

To get me through our trip, I had to manually turn the pump off when not being used until we got home. Luckily it came toward the end of our trip.

AEHamp60

Not sure if you have fixed your problem yet but I just went through the same issue. While the 4 way selector was in the city position, water was going into the fresh water tank. (I can hear the water movement at the 4 way selector valve.) This was after I noticed water dumping from the overflow tube of the fresh water tank. I immediately turned the water supply off and drain the fresh water tank down. In doing so, with the selector valve was in the normal position, the pump worked fine. The pump was holding pressure so I ruled out the check valve on the pump. I called Heartland customer service and after discussing this with them, they too decided it was the 4 way selector valve. They shipped me one and we are back in business. Hope this helps you.

pegmikef

Not sure if you have fixed your problem yet but I just went through the same issue. While the 4 way selector was in the city position, water was going into the fresh water tank. (I can hear the water movement at the 4 way selector valve.) This was after I noticed water dumping from the overflow tube of the fresh water tank. I immediately turned the water supply off and drain the fresh water tank down. In doing so, with the selector valve was in the normal position, the pump worked fine. The pump was holding pressure so I ruled out the check valve on the pump. I called Heartland customer service and after discussing this with them, they too decided it was the 4 way selector valve. They shipped me one and we are back in business. Hope this helps you.

Strange. I had a similar problem except my pump wasn't running all the time. I added an inline check valve and my fresh water tank no longer fills when I am hooked to city water.