Fresh Water Tank leak

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Last week while at MOR/ryde having product installed my the tech and myself both notice water dripping from the rear of the under belly. Tech had to punch hole into coroplast to relieve bulge so he could install IS. During the down time I called Heartland, Landmark division, and they hooked me up with Charger Enterprises RV Repairs, also in Elkhart. Real nice folks over there at Charger, good service also if ever in the area. Gerald and his crew ultimately found where the over flow valves for fresh water tanks were not plumbed out through the under belly but just left to drain into under belly. Hence how my under belly filled with water. Since I would be dry camping while installs were done I traveled to Elkhart from PA with a full fresh water tank and when I arrived it was less than half full. Heartland warrantied replacement fiberglass insulation and Gerald and his men extended drain pipes through coroplast, recurred and properly sealed the under belly. I was told this is a frequent find so if you have a product leaking water from the the axles rearward, it might be you over flows, especially if you travel with water in tank.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's too bad that you had to have someone out to fix the vent lines. But, things happen.
I had a thought as I was reading your post.
It sounds like your tank may have syphoned during travel. Or maybe the water just sloshed out.
In any event, you might consider adding shut off valves to the overflow and vent.
The only problem with that would be remembering to open them when getting to your destination.
And closing them for travel.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

murry135

Dave,

There was no charge to me Heartland covered all expenses for this repair. Yes, the sloshing effect caused the over flows to drain as designed but they should of plumbed through the under belly to drain out side camper they just drained into under belly. Valve idea would good if we did a lot of BOONDOCKING but at this in time of our life BOONDOCKING is not really an option. But knowing what I now know I can plan and utilize my fresh water tank more efficiently if needed. If I can't park, watch TV and think I am at home probably not going to do it. Spoiled camper!

Murry

caissiel

My tank vent/overflow is piped to the UDC next to the fill pipe.
I see overflow every time I fill the tank. But it never flows during travel. But the fill line does leak when I forget to place the cap.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

sengli

Thats odd. Our rig has the over flows exiting the frame on either side for the fresh water tank. I notice when I fill, if I dont catch it in time, water pours out of the two overflow lines for some time... after the fill has been shut off. Glad you caught that. That buldging coroplast is always a sign of somethings not right.

jbeletti

Early on, white vinyl hose was used for the vents with some going through the underbelly and one going up to the tiny round screened vent in the UDC next to the gravity water fill port. Trouble with this method is that in some cases, low points points developed in the routing of the vinyl line, creating air pockets and made it harder for the gravity fill to work. Pulling up the slack helps most with this issue.

In recent years, Heartland has gone to using PEX to tie all the vents together, then route a single line out through the underbelly.

Jim - sorry to hear the plant missed porting your vent line out. I've never heard of that before, so I don't believe it's prevalent. Happy to hear Heartland got you fixed up with a local servicer. Many years ago, with my first Heartland (2005), Heartland sent me over to Charger for servicing and I recall it working out well.

Sounds like you had a productive trip to Indiana this past week. See you in the east!

murry135

Yep, I gues I was an OOPS but Heartland once again came through. Gerald at Charger was great so was his staff. Can we put together and owner recommened Serivce list or contact list specific to first hand use and knowledge. Does not have to be specific to any one region or area but maybe by state. Ability to scan or send scanned business cards to a control/administrator of this portal which can input into forum. Gerald also said he would donate to your 2015 Rally in Goshen in contacted.

Majestic

We arrived home today after 14 hr drive, the fresh water tank is almost empty, the belly behind the axles is full of water. It is below freezing here tonight so this is going to be a mess. It will be interesting to see if we have the same issue, i see no vent lines, only the drain valve

murry135

Yep sounds familar to me. They entered my under belly for repair just rear of the axels and the vents were routed there also. Insulation is available at hardware stores it is only like 2.5 inches thick. Good luck keep us updated.