Fresh water tank sensor

On our most recent trip, we had a problem with our fresh water sensor. We'd fill to the point of overflow and the tank reading would only indicate 1/3 full. Anyone have a similar problem? What was the fix?

jimtoo

Hi Daileyfamily,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The tank sensors are known not to work very good, so I never even look at ours... but some of our members will jump in soon with some ideas.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Last edited:

olcoon

You might have a bubble in the vent line. On our Elk Ridge there is a hole with a screen next to where you fill the tank. There are 2 things you might try. Let it set for a while to see if it will "burb" by itself. Another is what I learned here on the forum is to buy/make a plastic tube to fill your tank with. I've got a shut off valve on mine, and if it needs to be "burped", I'll shut off the hose, remove the tube, and put it up to the vent hole and blow into it. This will usually clear the vent line, and you can fill up the tank. I've read on here where sometimes the vent line is too long which causes this. It's only happened to me a few times, so I haven't checked my vent line to see if it's too long. To make mine, I went to the hardware store, and got some clear plastic line that's used for ice makers, it comes in different sizes & you buy it by the foot. Hope this helps!

rebootsemi

Our Sundance is the same way if I try to fill it to fast it will over flow, I use a of 1/2" tube with a valve on it and just fill the tank slow. I just fire it up and walk away and do something else, when it over flowers it's full, also check the gauge just to make sure. The way the lines are run if you have a low spot it acts like a P-Trap.

wdk450

Gang:
Just an aside about these darn RV tank sensors. When engineers come up with a good design that is proven in multimillions of applications, why does someone have to re-engineer the proven, working system to something that is unreliable at best? I am speaking of the float/variable resistor level sensor used in vehicle fuel tanks. This works reliably, with a miniscule level of failures. Why isn't this used in RV fresh water and waste water tanks???