fridge in outdoor kitchen 32BUDS and other issues

Rusty0007

So, I've had my 2012 32BUDS since the last week of April 2012. Since then, its been in the 2 different shops basically the entire time, except for less than a month. However, I haven't really been upset with Heartland during this time, even though most of these issues should have never passed QA at the factory before shipping. The time delays have mainly been tied to poor organization and communication on the dealerships end. This stems however to no or poor accountability from the factory, which is another subject. Apparently no requirements are placed on dealerships, other than sales related. It appears that Heartland requires no particular level of customer service or satisfaction. Personally, I feel that is a mistake. A simple business rule remains, keep your customers happy and you will be profitable. Take a lesson from the auto industry, get involved in customer service before your authorized dealers destroy your reputation you worked so hard to get.

But I digress, on to the fridge issue(one of many total issues). Since day one I've had issue with the Danby fridge in the outdoor kitchen. I've also discovered the cause of the issue. The issue is that it will not maintain safe temperature. Its either too cold (freezing) or its too warm. From talking to Danby, this model is not rated for outdoor use. It's got to be in a climate of 50-80 degrees to maintain temp. These temps rarely occur inside an closed, or open for that matter, outdoor kitchen. The story I'm getting from the dealer is that Heartland refuses to address this issue, even though Danby does make a better suited unit. I've made a few calls to Brandon at Heartland, with no return. I believe there is nothing wrong with the unit installed, other than its the wrong type for this installation. I'm not trying to be petty, but I feel its not good practice to use any equipment that is not designed for the application. Not in a unit you are selling to the pubic at least. Apparently Heartland does not share my view. My question is, are there other customers out there that experience the same issue? Outdoor kitchens are popular. I'd think that others actually try to use them as designed as well. Are there issues or is this an isolated case? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

sjs731

frige in outdoor kitchen 32BUDS and other issues

We have a 2012 Sundance 3300CK with an outside kitchen with what I would assume is the same Danby fridge. I can't say that I've ever had your issues with mine. Seems to always work fine. Someone else once posted how hot theirs runs too. Ours has been fine. Knock on wood.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Re: frige in outdoor kitchen 32BUDS and other issues

...delays have mainly been tied to poor organization and communication on the dealerships end.
The story I'm getting from the dealer is that Heartland refuses to address this issue, even though Danby does make a better suited unit. I've made a few calls to Brandon at Heartland, with no return.

Rusty, since you already have determined that there's a problem at the dealer end, I would advise direct communication with Heartland. I've found the best way to get through is to call and ask for the person you want, and if they're on the phone, hold until they get free.

I'd suggest having a discussion with Heartland about how the outside refrigerator is expected to be used. If you're using it in a way that's consistent with Heartland's intent, the next question is why it's sometimes too cold and other times too hot. I'm having trouble seeing how an application issue accounts for both conditions; it sounds more like a malfunction.

Also, if you can use a thermometer to get actual temperature readings in advance of calling Heartland, that might go a long way toward resolving the problem.

ZNK

Im thinking this could just be an issue with your fridge. I have the same fridge and camped in 110 degree weather for a week this past summer and the fridge worked perfectly. You may want to try to contact Danby and do a warranty claim.

Rusty0007

Rusty, since you already have determined that there's a problem at the dealer end, I would advise direct communication with Heartland. I've found the best way to get through is to call and ask for the person you want, and if they're on the phone, hold until they get free.

I'd suggest having a discussion with Heartland about how the outside refrigerator is expected to be used. If you're using it in a way that's consistent with Heartland's intent, the next question is why it's sometimes too cold and other times too hot. I'm having trouble seeing how an application issue accounts for both conditions; it sounds more like a malfunction.

Also, if you can use a thermometer to get actual temperature readings in advance of calling Heartland, that might go a long way toward resolving the problem.

Thanks for the reply. As noted, I've attempted to contact Heartland in regard to this issue, to no avail. So far 4 calls and 4 messages have been left for Brandon. I have spoke to others but they refuse to take over for Brandon, which I understand. In the past however I've found Heartland to be quite responsive. I remain hopeful that some resolve can be found if I am able to explain this situation in closer detail with Heartland. I agree completely, it sounds like a malfunction. Danby will not warranty items directly with the end user unless you purchased the unit from a retail store and can provide a receipt. They will also not warranty this unit because its installed 'outside'. It's installed in a manner that its not intended to operate. Although they were actually easy to reach and friendly they can not help me.

Heartland told the dealer that they WILL replace it but if it returns to them and runs then they will charge the dealer back.

But, I agree. I believe it's an issue with the thermostat control. To me, if I had a customer that just bought this pretty expensive coach and its been in the shop for 5 months out of the last 6, I wouldn't squabble over a 149 dollar dorm room fridge. I love the coach (from what I can remember about it), I have been impressed with Heartland, until this call....

Rusty0007

Im thinking this could just be an issue with your fridge. I have the same fridge and camped in 110 degree weather for a week this past summer and the fridge worked perfectly. You may want to try to contact Danby and do a warranty claim.

Thanks for the reply. I agree. I also camped in over 100 degrees this summer ( part of the 3 weeks I've had the thing). Setting the thermostat, one click over, it would freeze and bust cans, one click the other way, it would be quite warm. Closing the kitchen door would cause it to kick off I assume due to thermo protection. Frustrating. We ruined lots of food and drinks. Anyway, I'm sure it's something with this unit or everyone would be upset.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had with your rig. I also received my 2012 32buds in April and I've only had one problem...a leak in the bathtub drain on hour first night while giving the kids a bath. My outside fridge worked well all season with no problems. Hopefully someone from Heartland steps up and fixes the issue.

Rusty0007

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had with your rig. I also received my 2012 32buds in April and I've only had one problem...a leak in the bathtub drain on hour first night while giving the kids a bath. My outside fridge worked well all season with no problems. Hopefully someone from Heartland steps up and fixes the issue.

Thanks, me too. Of course, it hasn't been in the shop for 3 months over the fridge. This is the last of a long list. Actually, most of it is minor and should have never left the factory. There was nothing with the fridge that would have been caught on a PDI. It runs and cools. Anyway, most of the other issues should have. So, I've eaten up half my warranty period on stuff that should have been addressed as part of the QA process. Stuff like delaminated exterior panels and such. Pretty major eye catching issues. Huge bubbles in the fiberglass that can be seen from 50 ft away. After displaying great patience and understanding on my end they want to fight with me over a cheap fridge. Doesn't make sense. This is a case of a lower level manager making a major decision over a minor issue.

Thanks for the reply!

ZNK

Thanks for the reply. I agree. I also camped in over 100 degrees this summer ( part of the 3 weeks I've had the thing). Setting the thermostat, one click over, it would freeze and bust cans, one click the other way, it would be quite warm. Closing the kitchen door would cause it to kick off I assume due to thermo protection. Frustrating. We ruined lots of food and drinks. Anyway, I'm sure it's something with this unit or everyone would be upset.

Why not just submit the issue through Danby and get the fridge replaced?

Not sure why you are having issues getting a hold of Brandon. I have always had great success contacting him.

Rusty0007

Why not just submit the issue through Danby and get the fridge replaced?

Not sure why you are having issues getting a hold of Brandon. I have always had great success contacting him.

I have spoken to Danby. They won't replace a unit that wasn't purchased from an authorized retailer and without a receipt. Also, even if I could get by that, which I can't, they won't replace it because it is installed in a manner that its not intended to operate. They said by being installed 'outside' and not in a climate controlled room between 50-80 degrees it voids the warranty anyway.

I agree, I've alway found Heartlands CS to be quite responsive. Not sure why I am having the trouble I am. Thanks for the reply.

I took delivery of my 32buds July 1, 2012 after using it one time I brought it in for a long list of problems on September 1, 2012 and its still there, my fridge worked fine but your right about the heat with the kitchen door open or closed its so hot you can bearly touch the outside of it Ive tried to move it away from the back wall but nothing changes. I hope one day I will get to use my brand new camper again.

Rusty0007

I took delivery of my 32buds July 1, 2012 after using it one time I brought it in for a long list of problems on September 1, 2012 and its still there, my fridge worked fine but your right about the heat with the kitchen door open or closed its so hot you can bearly touch the outside of it Ive tried to move it away from the back wall but nothing changes. I hope one day I will get to use my brand new camper again.

So, I finally got to speak with Jim, the CS manager at Heartland. He was friendly and understanding of my issue. He agreed to replace the unit. He's also convinced that there is something wrong with the unit. He further commented on Danby stating that they are well aware of the installation that they use this unit for and have approved its use in this manner. When speaking to Danby however, they have a different story. Anyway, I remain anxious to get a new unit and see if they issue duplicates.

As discussed, this is a small part of a long list of things its been in the shop for. The most major being a delaminated panel on the exterior wall of the bunk slide. Speaking to the shop yesterday they said that Heartland sent them a defective panel and now I am waiting for Heartland to re-make the entire wall. Apparently the shop requested a complete wall this time to avoid fit issues with a panel. It's been at this shop the second time since July 18th ish. I don't blame Heartland completely for this ridiculous timeframe. They had plenty of help ruining a perfectly good customer due to poor accountably and lack of responsibility on shops end. The phrase 'dropping the ball' doesn't come close to illustrating the amazing loss of control that the shop demonstrated. I don't understand how these people operate and remain profitable. It's baffling.