Fridge questions from the novice

JDvorak

Learning our new Pioneer BH270 I am trying to read up on all the appliances in our unit to insure we are using them properly.

My refrigerator is a duel power unit Dometic Model # DM2652RBX
I am wondering if i can turn this unit on while in transport to a campsite. My Rv has a power converter as well 45 amp / 12v

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

Re: General questions from the novice

I run mine on gas all the time when I'm traveling

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

Re: General questions from the novice

Mine will automatically switch back-and-forth from gas to electric

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BusManRG

We do. I would say 90% of the dual fuel people do. If you had an older unit and for some reason still had the old style propane valve thing, it would not be wise, but with the new safety valve, there's not as much to worry about. Having said that, I believe your manuals will tell you to turn it off while traveling because of course they need to CYA

Richardsrr

We have a 2016 Bighorn 3010 with a side by side fridge/freezer. We always travel with the gas OFF so do not run the fridge when traveling. .... we typically are unhooked from a park no more than 6 - 8 hours between travels and found that the food is still frozen and fridge relatively cold.

As a matter of fact, we rarely use the Gas since we always stay with Full Hookups and prefer to use the electricity at the RV site and often cook outside BBQ or Electric griddle unless the weather is bad. The electric fireplace in the rig keeps things comfortable so we usually do not run the furnace. ..... hardly use any propane except for stove top cooking.

JDvorak

My question is will it run off of the battery that is hooked to the converter?

danemayer

My question is will it run off of the battery that is hooked to the converter?

The battery will supply 12V DC to the refrigerator control board and to the gas valve and direct spark ignition. That will allow you to run the refrigerator using propane as the heat source. You cannot run it in electric mode with the battery - that only works when you have shore power.

When you have shore power, the converter gets 120V AC and converts it to 12V DC to supply the main fuse box inside the coach and to keep the battery charged. When you disconnect from shore power, the battery supplies power to the fuse box inside the coach.

JDvorak

So last question. I know from reading above some of you run your refrigerator on LP when traveling. Is this a safe practice? I read somewhere that this shouldn't be done?

danemayer

Many people do run the refrigerator on propane while towing. Safety experts recommend not doing so because of fire danger.

One particular hazard is when at a fuel pump. Gasoline vapors are extremely flammable and the refrigerator has an open flame when running on propane. Even if you're at a diesel pump, there could be a gasoline pump nearby. Spilled gas produces vapor.

Depending on how far you're towing, and how hot it is, your food may be ok with the refrigerator turned off.

WalkTheLine

If you're using propane to start and cool down fridge and keep running fridge on propane, about how long will two full canisters last? Ballpark---a few hours to a few days? Just got a brand new Prowler Lynx and haven't run power from house panel yet but want to start fridge today for a trip tomorrow PM. Thanks!

carl.swoyer

I run mine on lp while traveling. My norcold since being replaced has been working great. However it is an energy hog on electric.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WillyBill

My wife and I went camping last weekend in our Cyclone with (I believe) the same or similar Dometic Fridge as yours. We were gone from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. The Fridge was on the whole time(was already on for a week or so at home on 110 V.-prechilled) including travel both ways using propane. We cooked with gas inside and used the trailer propane to run our gas grill for steaks. We each showered 4 times while we were gone using propane to heat the hot water. Total propane needed to refill the bottle was 1.45 gallons.

I hope this gives you an idea on consumption. Good Luck!!

WB

WalkTheLine

My wife and I went camping last weekend in our Cyclone with (I believe) the same or similar Dometic Fridge as yours. We were gone from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. The Fridge was on the whole time(was already on for a week or so at home on 110 V.-prechilled) including travel both ways using propane. We cooked with gas inside and used the trailer propane to run our gas grill for steaks. We each showered 4 times while we were gone using propane to heat the hot water. Total propane needed to refill the bottle was 1.45 gallons.

I hope this gives you an idea on consumption. Good Luck!!

WB

Perfect! That's what I was looking for.... Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Just FYI: Darwin Award Alert from Florida....

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/08/suv_transporting_gas_grill_exp.html#incart_river_home