front landing gear problems

2010augusta

Larry, I think you made a typo!!, but if you want some extra safety, just hook the trailer up to the truck and that will keep the trailer from falling for sure.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would like to Ditto Southern Nights.
The trailer will not drop if you remove the motor and gear boxes. I stood right beside the tech that replaced my motor and gear boxes and all went well. Infact he was very nice as I asked him a lot of questions as he was replacing everything.

BC

markandrenita

Yup it was the plastic gearbox and it broke when one of the plastic legs sheared off;
The tech told me that the legs go up and down with a worm gear and that there is no danger of a sudden fall when the gear box and motor are removed.
So the part is on order and hopeully will be shipped today.
Thanks everyone, for your help and advice and pictures!

Clear skies,

MArk and Renita

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
I don't think that tech had safety on his mind. You cannot see that worm gear and consequently don't know what condition it's in.
You should never work/crawl under a unit without it being properly supported and secured from moving. It just takes a couple of minutes to hook up to the TV and/or support the unit by blocking up the frame. Also, don't forget to chalk the wheels.
The consequence of not doing this type of work safely could make your family and friends very upset. And the insurance company would be mighty peaveed off with hospital or morgue costs.

Yup it was the plastic gearbox and it broke when one of the plastic legs sheared off;
The tech told me that the legs go up and down with a worm gear and that there is no danger of a sudden fall when the gear box and motor are removed.
So the part is on order and hopeully will be shipped today.
Thanks everyone, for your help and advice and pictures!

Clear skies,

MArk and Renita

traveler44

Landing gear noise

My landing gear has started making a cracking and popping noise when I run it up and down. I don't know if I have over extended it. Why wouldn't they have limit switches or ratchet if they are so easily damaged? Well I better take a look at mine I may be in denial but I was hoping that it just needed lube.

traveler44

Found my landing gear problem

The lower leg stop was rubbing on the cutout as it passed by it. I just need more clearance. Thank you guys for all the info. on landing gear fixes. I feel educated now. :)

I was reading the manual for my sundance yesterday and it stated" retract the front legs untill you hear a clutch sound then stop" I think they need to change that wording, it cost me 400$ to repair.

markandrenita

I don't think that tech had safety on his mind. You cannot see that worm gear and consequently don't know what condition it's in.
You should never work/crawl under a unit without it being properly supported and secured from moving. It just takes a couple of minutes to hook up to the TV and/or support the unit by blocking up the frame. Also, don't forget to chalk the wheels.
The consequence of not doing this type of work safely could make your family and friends very upset. And the insurance company would be mighty peaveed off with hospital or morgue costs.

Thanks for the great safety advice!

Mariposa

landing gear?

OK, what holes the gear box on to the main drive shaft? Got the motor off, gear box part way apart, but can't seem to move it off the main drive shaft. there is a big main gear that seems to be holding things in place. the pictures make it look easy.
Bob:confused://heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Bob,
Look at the shaft that goes through the box from the dolly and is connected to the cross shaft. There is a bushing on it that is held in place with a single screw.
Remove the screw, slide off the bushing and the gear box will slide off.

Mariposa

front landing

Well I have done really well. Went from working part time, after I fixed it, to not working at all. I think the next step is to pull the whole landing gear out and see what is going on. Can't do any worse? It is not working now.
There is all something to do.
Bob

markandrenita

If you need to replace parts call Venture as they shipped me the motor, 9000 mk and it only took 5 days. Toal cost with shipping was about 135 bucks

Venture Mfg. Co.
3636 Dayton Park Dr.
Dayton, OH 45414
patty@Venturemfgco.com
Tel: 937-233-8792 ext. 20
Toll Free: 866-365-1957
Fax: 937-233-8485

andy

the ear broke off mine just like those in the pictures . i used a piece of 1/8 angle iron an drilled it out for the bosses sticking out of the gearbox an bolted it to the gearbox thru the bolt holes, slid the box back on with the angle against the lift post . with all the bosses an bolts now holding the gearbox from twisting instead of one boss it should be pretty strong . it sounds smoother an quieter than it ever has

markandrenita

the ear broke off mine just like those in the pictures . i used a piece of 1/8 angle iron an drilled it out for the bosses sticking out of the gearbox an bolted it to the gearbox thru the bolt holes, slid the box back on with the angle against the lift post . with all the bosses an bolts now holding the gearbox from twisting instead of one boss it should be pretty strong . it sounds smoother an quieter than it ever has

Great idea! I think I will retrofit my new one. Unfortunately the old one broke the manuel crank bar also so that ones toast.

Mariposa

landing gear?

Markanddrenita
thought I would tell you how things worked out. The main shaft was bend at the set screw hole. That is why I was having trouble getting the gear box off. With the whole landing gear out and on the bench, (tailgate of truck) and a couple of short trips to the shop got things working. The roll pin in the back of the small gear was replaced with a little bigger roll pin, costumed the pin to fit. Back in my shop, the tailgate, everything was reinstalled and tested. Every thing was up and working as it should. The real test will come when we hit the road again.
Thanks for the assistance
Bob

navyAZ1

Re: landing gear?

I need to add another question to all this. The pin on the back of the gear box broke off and I was hearing this clicking noise like gear teeth skipping over each other. I replaced the gear box, still got the same noise. I bought the rebuild kit and replaced all the gears in the top of the landing gear leg, still got the noise, a fellow camper said he had the same problem and it was the motor gear box at the base of the motor, I replaced it and still I have the clicking noise. I'm wondering if there might be a problem with the slave leg gears that could be causing something to bind. I read on RV.Net someone said that the gears in the gear box are on some sort of spring mount that allows the gears to slip when under stress to prevent breaking off the teeth of the gear and that's the clicking noise I'm hearing. Two RV repair dudes I talked with said I need to replace my landing gear with the hydraulic type, or add the second motor on the slave leg. They both stated that these single motor landing gear systems are not strong enough for these heavier 5th wheels. Anyone have any ideas as to what I might do to get rid of the loud clicking noise? Prior to my changing the motor, gear box, and gears in the leg my landing gear wouldn't work at all just sit there and click and never lifted or dropped the coach in height.

Thanks,

Ron

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader

We're facing the dilemma of replacing the gear box, adding the second motor or skipping the decision and going to the Rieco-Titan system. My guys are going to do one of the fixes in the next week or so, so will try to take pics of whatever we decide to do. When you work at a service center, your stuff always gets put on the back burner... :)

caissiel

I had mine all apart, the motor/gearbox, and there is no overload protection. But there are no bearings on the gear box. Its fibre on fiber and I greased it while it was apart so it would run with less friction. Mine was dry.

I was in the pulp mill industry for 35 years and we were using some UHMW that was as strong as steel for some application and was great bearing material in wet dirty location. surely as strong as cast aluminum. The application here must be for ease of use and minimum service requirement.

The drive is for sale on E-Bay for around $20 plus shipping. I could question the product but in large quantity thats all this drive is worth considering the design. A spare sure would be nice to have I am about to buy one and see how it will wear.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Ron, just a thought here. While you run the gear up or down, take a look at the motor. Mine made a loud tapping noise and I found that it was the shear bolt bumping the motor as the shaft was turning. I was able to use plumbers tape to suspend the motor high enough to clear the bolt yet leave it a little room to "flex" while operating.

Attachments

• Landing Gear Motor Hanger.JPG
    Landing Gear Motor Hanger.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 44