front landing gear problems

navyAZ1

Re: landing gear?

Ron, just a thought here. While you run the gear up or down, take a look at the motor. Mine made a loud tapping noise and I found that it was the shear bolt bumping the motor as the shaft was turning. I was able to use plumbers tape to suspend the motor high enough to clear the bolt yet leave it a little room to "flex" while operating.

Yeah, I wondered if that was the case but I looked and didn't see that bolt head hitting anything. Suppose to be warmer here in N. GA on Wednesday so I'm going to check a few other things also, one being maybe I didn't get the length of the extending portion of the leg set to the same distance as the other leg and maybe this could be causing a stress problem? I am at a point of great frustration with this and no tech's seem to have an answer either except replace everything.

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness

Had a similar problem, but it was resolved with a new gear box replacement. The gear legs were removed, cleaned, inspected, and lubed as part of our normal maintenance. When the second gear box failed, switched to the Rieco-Titan electic leveling system 3 months ago. Jst finished a 12,000 mile trip with lots of cycles on the new landing gear - works as advertised without any problems whatsoever!!!! Our 3055rl is weighed on certified CAT scales, and is always well under the allowable gross weight of 14.000 and the axle weight distribution is almost eqaul on each axle, so that shouldn't have been the issue with the original landing gear.

navyAZ1

Well I purchased another motor and gear box and plan to add this to the slave leg this weekend that way I'll have a dual motor system this should take care of the problem but if not I hope it last until the rally and maybe Lippert will be offering the hydraulic landing gear at a great price like this past rally and I'll get that installed. I'll keep y'all posted as to what happens.

Ron

Gary521

Be a little careful. You just cannot add the motor to the slave leg. The slave leg must be rotated 180 degrees. The reason for rotating the leg is so that the motor and gear box fit on the leg. The newer legs from Venture can be rotated but the older ones cannot without some modifications. The modification is to weld two mounting tabs on the outer leg. ( you can also get a new leg from Venture ). In addition, you need to replace the leg drive shaft with a longer one. ( parts from Venture or Lippert )
See my post on Venture landing gear. I stated in that post that the leg jack screw must be lubricated on a regular basis. Without lubrication, there eventually is too much load on the drive motor to overcome and the clutch slips ( clicking noise ). The second motor lightens the load but the screw still must be lubed.
I have seen some posts regarding the looseness of the motor when it turns and some folks have added straps to the motor. The loosness is the fit of the gear box to the leg drive shaft and/or the gears inside of the gear box. In my view, the strap does nothing and the looseness is not a huge problem. (I am not talking about the screw that holds the cross drive shaft to the gear box. A loose screw here is a problem. ) The gear box just slides over the leg drive shaft and is held in place by a plastic fitting held by a screw into the drive shaft.
I have taken a few of these Venture legs apart and the system need a bit of help ( grease ).