Front Landing Jacks

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE with a 6 Point Level Up System. I have been having a problem moving the jacks up and down. Whenever I start to move then either up or down, they will go a short distance and then stop and I have to wait maybe 15-30 seconds and try pushing the switch again and they will go some more and then stop. I have to repeat this several times to get them fully up or down. Now this has been happening with the slides also. I have checked and the battery is fully charged. I was told this may be due to a weak circuit breaker on the system. How difficult is it to change out the breaker, and where do you buy one.

Also I need to add that the Level Up System is not working very well either and my warranty just ended.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

danemayer

Hi Floridanative,

The 15 second pause is from the 50 amp 12V DC mini-circuit breaker tripping and auto-resetting. The most common causes are:

Low battery voltage,
Loose wires at the battery, hydraulic pump motor, or ground,
Dirty or corroded connections,
Weak breaker.

The breaker takes 5-10 minutes to change out. You'll need a nut driver - 5/16" maybe. If you have a battery cutoff switch, turn it OFF, AND turn the Power Converter 110V Circuit Breaker OFF. Then there will be no voltage on the buss bar while you work.

The breakers should be available at auto parts stores, marine parts stores, and RV dealership parts dep't. You want a 50 amp auto-reset, with the same form factor so it'll mount in the same place. Unfortunately, not every retail outlet stocks them, so there's no telling if you'll go to 1 store or 5 to find one.

This one from Amazon looks like it should work.

Don't forget to check the battery connections, and pump motor connections.

Hello Floridanative: I would like to suggest you take your battery out of your RV, take it to a auto parts store and have them load test your battery. The battery may show it being fully charged, but once it had a load on it, it fails. When I purchased my RV, the selling dealer put in a cheap deep cycle battery that would not hold the load of my six point leveling system no matter how much I charged the battery. I replaced this battery but installed two 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Now my leveling system works fine now. Don't overlook the battery before changing out a lot of parts and relays. Good luck, Jim

jam20ster

My 6 point auto level sometimes turns off during the auto level process. I have to turn it back on and sometimes it will turn off several times before it levels. My batteries are fully charged. Not sure if this is the same thing thats happening to yours.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My 6 point auto level sometimes turns off during the auto level process. I have to turn it back on and sometimes it will turn off several times before it levels.
Sounds like you need to replace the 50 amp breaker that protects the level-up system. About $10.

Peace
Dave

jam20ster

Sounds like you need to replace the 50 amp breaker that protects the level-up system. About $10.

The breaker has never tripped. Just the screen goes blank on the auto level and then I turn it back on.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The breaker has never tripped. Just the screen goes blank on the auto level and then I turn it back on.

Does it do this just when not hooked up to shore power or does it do it then also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jam20ster

I have never auto leveled hooked up to shore power. My problems have all existed while on battery power. Both batteries all fully charged.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I always try to run my landing gear with the trailer plugged in to shore power.

Same with the slide outs.

danemayer

I have never auto leveled hooked up to shore power. My problems have all existed while on battery power. Both batteries all fully charged.

If this is how you know it's not tripping a breaker, you should know that there are 12V DC breakers, one of which is for the hydraulic pump. The attached picture shows a row of circuit breakers on a buss bar, located near your batteries.
There's more information in the 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
If this is now you know it's not tripping a breaker, you should know that there are 12V DC breakers, one of which is for the hydraulic pump. The attached picture shows a row of circuit breakers on a buss bar, located near your batteries.
There's more information in the 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

So, if you always use shore power and I always use battery power, it could very well be my breaker is tripping and resetting.

Hypothetical:

Your rig with the converter on may have 13.8V at the batteries.
My rig running off the batteries may have 12.2V at the batteries.

Lets say the pump draws 500 watts.

Your rig will have a 36.2 amp draw
Mine will have a 40.9 amp draw

Could very well be that $5 breaker is tripping. Just because it is "rated" at 50 amps doesn't mean it will actually allow 50 amps.

Jim.Allison

Bad grounds build a lot of resistance. Some of the landing gear use a chassis ground, chassis grounds are notorious for fouling. When removed you may even see paint that has barely been scratched. This adds to resistance. Whenever I have to address a bad chassis ground I always make up a copper line and attach it to the chassis ground location and run it to the ground bus. This redundant path will ensure that you always have a good return path to your negative terminal. 20 feet is a long circuit for 12v and the wire needs to accommodate the load, poor connections compound the situation and it shows up in the tripping breaker.