g rated tires on aluminum rims

I have a 2008 3250ts what is pressure rating on my rims .Would like to buy goodyear tires LT235/85r16 14 ply Thanks Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The pressure rating is normally stamped on the inside of the rims. You will have to crawl under the trailer and use a flashlight to find the stamping. Since the trailer has seen 3 years of use, it may be difficult to find due to built to brake dust/dirt/discoloration. Chances are, if your current tire pressure rating is 80 lbs, then that is all your rims are rated for. The Goodyears are 110 psi.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, you need to crawl under your trailer and take a good look at the back side of your rims. There should be a pressure or weight rating stamped there.

Peace
Dave

trvlrerik

I have an 09 cyclone and just upgraded my tires. I have the aluminum rims with round holes in the center and they are 80 psi max rims. I have been told by my Goodyear retailer that you can run the G614 at 80 psi but they are only rated at 3040lbs at this pressure.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I am certainly no tire expert and always looking for new information but I would be cautious about running an ST tire like the Goodyear 614 at anything less than the 110psi. I have always been advised to run ST's at the max pressure.

Last edited:

noobee

I am certainly no tire expert and always looking for new information but I would be cautious about running an ST tire like the Goodyear 614 at anything less than the 110psi. I have always been advised to run ST's at the max pressure.

I don't think that the 614's arew ST's?????????????????

CS

trvlrerik

I don't think that the 614's arew ST's?????????????????

CS

My invoice from Goodyear shows the tires as LT235/85/16 RST. I was also advised in addition to the weight capacity being lowered at 80psi, the speed rating goes down to less than 65mph.

I am currently looking around in an attempt to find experience in regard to running aluminum rims at 110psi. It appears the difference is in the ability to have the high pressure valve stems installed (I had them installed) and the depth of the bead on the rim.

SJH

I have no vested interest in the debate, other than learning something new, but as i understand it the LT235/85/16 is the tire size...the RST is for "Regional Service Trailer"

From the rep...

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. Goodyear specifies this as a Special Trailer tire intended to be used on RV or heavy trailer applications:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html
Best regards,
Miles

Last edited:

SJH

I am currently looking around in an attempt to find experience in regard to running aluminum rims at 110psi. It appears the difference is in the ability to have the high pressure valve stems installed (I had them installed) and the depth of the bead on the rim.

Many RV manufacturers use Sendel aluminum wheels, specifically the T02. I believe that is what i have on our Big Country. Sendel rates them for 110 PSI

Best Wishes!

lwmcguir

My invoice from Goodyear shows the tires as LT235/85/16 RST. I was also advised in addition to the weight capacity being lowered at 80psi, the speed rating goes down to less than 65mph.

Every Aluminum wheel I have including the 17.5's and the 19.5's have the max pressure stamped on them. We run 110 psig in almost all of them. Should be there, maybe inside on the flat part of the wheel.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have aluminum rims on our Landmark with G614s and run at 110 psi without issues.

Thanks for all the good advice. I looked at my wheels they are stamped 110 psi.I want good american made tires is it over kill to get the g 614 rst 235/85/16 .dry weight my camper is 12000. OEM TIRES ARE MISSION ST 235/80/16 .Sears is checking to see if they can order me the 14 ply goodyears.Does most people upgrade for safety.Thanks Davefisher

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for all the good advice. I looked at my wheels they are stamped 110 psi.I want good american made tires is it over kill to get the g 614 rst 235/85/16 .dry weight my camper is 12000. OEM TIRES ARE MISSION ST 235/80/16 .Sears is checking to see if they can order me the 14 ply goodyears.Does most people upgrade for safety.Thanks Davefisher

Sounds like you can use the G614. Sears may be a little high on them though. You might try the local GoodYear store or a local independent tire dealer. I know some have got them at Costco and Sam's Club. Discount Tire can order them but they may be a little higher as well.

porthole

Retired
Every Aluminum wheel I have including the 17.5's and the 19.5's have the max pressure stamped on them. We run 110 psig in almost all of them. Should be there, maybe inside on the flat part of the wheel.

The rims on our Cyclone were not stamped with a pressure rating.

Attached is the Goodyear tire inflation/load table.

You can run less then 110 psi if you follow the guidelines.

I usually run 115 in my 135 psi Goodyear G114's

Attachments

• Goodyear_Tire_Inflation___Load_Charts.pdf
    274.9 KB · Views: 21