garmin rv 1090

roy2

we are looking into i guess new garmins 10in GPS that has come out. has anyone bought it yet? id like to know if the letters are bigger on it. my co-pilot says one we have now the letters are getting smaller for some reason.i know its pricey. model 1090. thanks

thewanderingeight

I have been using the Garmin 890 for the last year and a half and it's pretty easy to read. The 1090 is even bigger so I would imagine the display would be even easier to read. Given the price tag, I am not head over heels for the Garmin. I typically have to run Google Maps and the Garmin at the same time because the Garmin does some goofy stuff. One time it insisted I-10 was completely shut down even though it wasn't and kept trying to detour me, it often doesn't have closed road information compared to Google, and it once even tried to take me under a low clearance bridge. Considering how much they want for the unit, I was expecting it to be a bulletproof solution. Overall it does a decent job of keeping me off roads I shouldn't be on, so I continue to use it for peace of mind.

roy2

ours has been goofy to us a few times but its really helped us out a lot. anyway i posted on another fourm the guy said to cut out a cardboard 10 by 10 and go into the truck and see how it would be in there wow that 10 by 10 is big. don't think it would be to good for us can't find any room for it just to big. so i tried the 8in one cut the cardboard for that it seemed to work better i have the room for it.so i m going with the 8in hope its as good as the one i have now thanks for you r help

carl.swoyer

I have stopped using garmin as I found it to be unreliable. It would route me off the highway and then back on, taking me down roads I shouldn’t have been on. Waste of money for an unreliable product.
Garmins support team's response was well its only as good as the maps they buy.
Im using an atlas for rvs and google maps.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

taskswap

I think I have every mapping app ever made, and used a handful of the physical devices. I do have some favorite apps both for personal/hiking use and driving, but when it comes to towing a fifth wheel I've found it best just to pre-plan. I searched Google Maps for every truck stop in my home state and the surrounding ones then looked at them in satellite mode to pick the best ones and add them to a list. We're always starting or ending there (we aren't full-timers yet) so that's half the battle. Then before a trip I do the same for the route to our destination. It sounds tedious but it really only takes 5 minutes.

The kicker is, routes BETWEEN truck stops are almost always reliable RV-friendly pathways. I don't try to route from Colorado to Texas. I just know my range and how often we usually like to go between stops, and just route to the next truck stop that fits the bill. We just leap-frog along that way.

You don't have to pre-plan to do the same thing. Either way, navigating "truck stop to truck stop" will almost always give you a good route to anywhere...

roy2

I have stopped using garmin as I found it to be unreliable. It would route me off the highway and then back on, taking me down roads I shouldn’t have been on. Waste of money for an unreliable product.
Garmins support team's response was well its only as good as the maps they buy.
Im using an atlas for rvs and google maps.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
sorry to hear that it dont work for you i realy count on mine a lot. good luck what ever your going to use.

jmarnell

Rather than spending money on a Garmin, I updated the built in maps in our truck's navigation system. We primarily use Google Maps, which thanks to Android Auto displays maps on our truck's display screen, but when we are out of cell phone coverage I wanted up to date maps on the truck's GPS based nav system which works anywhere. I also bought the trucker's road atlas ($45 on Amazon). We also use the app RV Trip Wizard to plan routes, since it uses your specific RV specs to plan a route avoiding low bridges or weight limits. All these together are much less expensive than a Garmin.