Gateway 3650BH tub drain fitting wrench help

Bones

On our tub underneath but above the trap there is a screw on fitting that attaches to the tub drain. Our's was loose this season and was leaking. I managed to get my hand in-between the frame work and the drain to tighten the fitting as best as possible for now and no leak. Does anyone have a suggestion for a tool that I might be able to get up there to tighten the fitting more than hand tight? Keep in mind that I have barely enough room for my hand and I have a drain pipe coming down to the trap. If a picture is requested I will take it later today after the rain leaves. I tried to get an adjustable pipe wrench up there but it was just too bulky.

Oh I might add that the drain is directly above our water heater.

Thanks

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
On our tub underneath but above the trap there is a screw on fitting that attaches to the tub drain. Our's was loose this season and was leaking. I managed to get my hand in-between the frame work and the drain to tighten the fitting as best as possible for now and no leak. Does anyone have a suggestion for a tool that I might be able to get up there to tighten the fitting more than hand tight? Keep in mind that I have barely enough room for my hand and I have a drain pipe coming down to the trap. If a picture is requested I will take it later today after the rain leaves. I tried to get an adjustable pipe wrench up there but it was just too bulky.

Oh I might add that the drain is directly above our water heater.

Thanks

Will one of these work???

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-Standard-Adjustable-Wrench/50326897

Bones

IMG_20151108_165125.jpg

Ok here is an older picture but look to the right of the picture and above the water heater and you can see the drain line and the small hole I have to get my hand in there

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Dave, did you find a remedy? As I am understanding after re-reading, you tightened the nut on the tailpiece attached to the drain basket???
I would think a strong hand tightened state should be good. Cranking down too hard with a wrench could strip the plastic threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Dave, did you find a remedy? As I am understanding after re-reading, you tightened the nut on the tailpiece attached to the drain basket???
I would think a strong hand tightened state should be good. Cranking down too hard with a wrench could strip the plastic threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got it pretty tight with my hand and it did stop leaking. You may be right about over-tightening. I was thinking that if I tightening it a little more it may prevent it from coming loose from driving.