Gateway Storage bay wall removed...Suggestions welcomed

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I Have a great idea In my head I just need to figure out how get it onto here.
A wall with recessed compartments and bungee netting to hold things in. I will try to draw something up. That will keep the top and bottom of the wall in the same place while giving you more storage.

Bones

A wall with recessed compartments and bungee netting to hold things in. I will try to draw something up. That will keep the top and bottom of the wall in the same place while giving you more storage.
cool.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is kinda what I'm thinking
67ea18e2a7e15dfe9de825c4297cc8d6.jpg

You could make it out of a good wood as big and deep as you have room for. You can run a shelf across and put a bungee netting across to hold you stuff in.
Make your box then cut out the wall and slide the box in.
f8b585d4a3cf52321618478936793954.jpg
581acc855e76468508a6b656ff38c7a2.jpg

Sorry for the rough vision but hopefully you get the idea

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The box that I took the picture of was just a shower insert but I wanted to give you and idea of what I was thinking....
Both items I just did a Bing search.
The bungee netting I found on
organizedobie.com
187378af587ec0e02b399aa139a8b674.jpg

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

GWRam

Thanks for the UDC photo. It is amazing how quickly things change in units. Ours is different in so many ways. Yours looks to be much more user friendly. Our UDC door is hinged on the front side , the opening into the basement next to the UDC is half the size of yours, and our furnace is under the pantry. Exhaust by the half bath door.
decc10ebd949c1e265dfec374415e4f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

If you have time could you give me the dimensions of the drawers under your stairs? The better half likes that idea...
Sure. They came standard with our camper. Some of the other campers might not have the room for them because I know Heartland puts things like central vac and converters under there.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the UDC photo. It is amazing how quickly things change in units. Ours is different in so many ways. Yours looks to be much more user friendly. Our UDC door is hinged on the front side , the opening into the basement next to the UDC is half the size of yours, and our furnace is under the pantry. Exhaust by the half bath door.
decc10ebd949c1e265dfec374415e4f8.jpg

Yes it is weird how things quickly change. They put our heater under the bench seat and the power panel is near the pantry area. I may actually remove that shower at some time because it is so short I can't use it. I may come up with another idea later that I can use a mixer valve and just attach a garden hose with a nozzle. That way I can still use some hot water. Why is your opening so small? Do you have the model where they put both propane tanks on one side?

jbeletti

Terry Hershberger bought one of my LM demos many years back. I had mounted a TV in the storage bay on a swing out arm. the TV folded up tight against the bulkhead wall. Terry removed and reframed the entire wall and he built a recessed area for the TV. This way, as he moved stored items and containers on the floor in front of the TV, the TV was never affected, scratched, dinged etc.

Same principal you're mentioning - just for storage of other stuff than a TV. Terry even obtained the same carpet like material and carpeted the new area.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Obviously you've never seen my Basement o' Doom photo. Personally, I would not put anything permanently mounted in front of that area so you can get back in there should a leak or other problem occur. You could put some sort of easily removable access panels in the wall (sliders, hinged, or removable) to eliminate having the completely remove the walls for access or inspection.

I've made some changes to the retainers for the panels, as well as where my suppressor and converter are mounted, since these photos.

Bones

Obviously you've never seen my Basement o' Doom photo. Personally, I would not put anything permanently mounted in front of that area so you can get back in there should a leak or other problem occur. You could put some sort of easily removable access panels in the wall (sliders, hinged, or removable) to eliminate having the completely remove the walls for access or inspection.

I've made some changes to the retainers for the panels, as well as where my suppressor and converter are mounted, since these photos.
wow. Messy. I like your doors.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a bit of time today. Not getting too far as I am looking around and trying to figure out where some wires go. I have this box here with relays inside. Does anyone know what it feeds. I have four electrical cables going in here. I marked the wires just in-case so I can put them back after I shorten things. It looks like one of the cables goes to the water heater. and the others disappear into the undercarriage and up the wall to the control panel.

IMG_20151111_110857.jpgIMG_20151111_110825.jpgIMG_20151111_110936.jpgIMG_20151111_110931.jpgIMG_20151111_114616.jpg

I found some damaged wire and kinked wire So I will attempt to shorten everything and then I may make a junction box to go to the exterior outlet.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Terry removed and reframed the entire wall and he built a recessed area for the TV. This way, as he moved stored items and containers on the floor in front of the TV, the TV was never affected, scratched, dinged etc.

Thats a great idea. We aren't hurting for additional space, but I like the idea of the basement TV tucked away in its own space.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Wow!! That's ugly. I didn't/should have snapped a picture of mine. It's not near as busy as yours.

Bones

I made an angled stand to put the electrical box on and keep it off the floor just incase something leaks. I will make a panel when finished to access this area.

IMG_20151111_135219.jpgIMG_20151111_135227.jpgIMG_20151111_135945.jpgIMG_20151111_140014.jpg

Bones

I finished the wiring today. I added a junction box to take some of the wire from the outlet on the exterior next to the storage bay. This way I have only one wire going to the outlet that I will need to cover and protect later. I also ran the supply wire under the steps to clean up the floor a bit. I figured out where all of this mess went to or at least most of it. One relay will go to support the 12 volt switch in activating the water heater. The other relay will work the 12 volt switch in operating the awning receptacle. Here is the picture of the new location and the wires cleaned up a bit.

IMG_20151112_154928.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I finished the wiring today. I added a junction box to take some of the wire from the outlet on the exterior next to the storage bay. This way I have only one wire going to the outlet that I will need to cover and protect later. I also ran the supply wire under the steps to clean up the floor a bit. I figured out where all of this mess went to or at least most of it. One relay will go to support the 12 volt switch in activating the water heater. The other relay will work the 12 volt switch in operating the awning receptacle. Here is the picture of the new location and the wires cleaned up a bit.

View attachment 41450

Cool!

However . . . don't think for a minute that this is the way that it should be and that Heartland will cover it under warranty!

Unless you fight for it, of course . . .

Bones

Funny you say that because that is exactly how heartland did it. I just cleaned it up a bit and added the lower junction box for all of the wire.