Gear ratio 4:10 or 3:73??

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Oh no, I don't want someone else putting on a few hundred miles on my new truck. Lol.

Btw, is there a break in mileage before you should tow?

Just st boing the math, 8 weeks would hit right over the PA rally. ��

That could be your break in mileage...
People do it, but me, I'd put on a few miles before I'd leave them there hills

1_oldgoat

The cummins will make up for a tall gear with the torque and horsepower it puts out, which is nice, in my limited experience i still like the 4.10's for pulling any grade, and the 12.5mpg i am getting isn't to bad considering the size and weight of the Gateway, actually picked up mileage going to the heavier fifth wheel from the bumper pull, figure me that one out.....

- - - Updated - - -

Th dealer told me to vary the speeds the first 100 miles, and to keep it below 70mph, from the dealership my house was just over 500 miles so i was good to tow by the time i got home. I dumped the oil and filter, hooked up and hit the road, have had no issues since. Oil use seems minimal really, towing on a 3k trip i might use a quart, dpf is slightly more.

1_oldgoat

I did the same thing Jon, dumped the oil and filter at 500, changed again at 2500, and now between 3 and 5k and depending on any trips distance if i end up going over many pass's and how hard i work the truck sometimes sooner, oil is cheap insurance, i use Castrol, have had great luck with it and compared to the other 2 popular name brands i have higher oil pressure and lower temps, so have stuck with it, cost is a bit more per gallon but worth it imho....after this trip its time to service the trans, transfer case and both diffs. One thing i have noticed with the heavy duty aisin tranny is the temps on the transmission are higher than my '07s ran by quite a bit, oil and engine temps are about the same, but with the 4.10 rear end engine rpm's are slightly higher at speed so that may have something to do with it, has anyone else switched rigs and noticed the same thing??

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Speaking of oil changes, was reading this in the brochure.
1z5jibs.jpg

Not not sure if I trust a 15000 mile oil change.

1_oldgoat

That 15K interval is for the synthetic oil the factory uses, not regular Rotella, Delo or the Castrol i use, got that tidbit of info from a salesman at the Dodge Jeep dealership i bought the wifes new Cherokee from, so if you are not using factory synthetic oil i wouldn't try going 15K between changes.

coram8

I use Rotella T6 in my Duramax and 15,000 miles between service is crazy to me. Most owner's manuals say "severe" vs "normal" driving conditions, with normal being what is used in marketing material or saleman pitches. In West Texas, there is no such thing as normal conditions. The dirt and heat take care of that, not to mention, stop and go, and a several thousand pound fifth wheel. $100 oil change is a lot better than a $15,000 engine replacement.

In in response to the OP, my last several trucks have had 3.73 in them. So far so good with no issues pulling hills.

1_oldgoat

Hope no one misunderstood me here, the 3.73 gear worked ok in my '07 Ram, i just like the 4.10's better now after towing with both, pulling over pass's at 7000 feet above sea level there is a noticable difference. I have no doubt even a taller gear than a 3.73 would work with a Cummins or any diesel for that matter with the power and torque they make. I really like the way i can get up to speed quicker and when pulling over any pass the transmission isn't hunting for the right gear.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Yes!!!!! Besides actually making the decision to do the deal, the color is giving me the most anxiety. Current truck is white crew cab. The last truck was a white crew cab. You just can't go wrong. I have been talking back and forth with Dave (BONES on the forum). He has basically the exact truck I want. He's been giving me info on all the options and accessories. It was going to be white until the wife walked by an 1500 RAM in Delmonico Red. No there is another color on the mix......

Now that is our favorite color.:D We are also "looking". Just not convinced on the need for dually's. Don''t like that extra truck weight, and it would give the DW issues as to where to park the beast at the mall. Also favor the 3.73 with the Aisin, we do heavy annual mileage and I strive for best fuel mileage. Check your dealer and see if they offer a special when purchasing 2 units. :p

Gaffer

Find a dealer where you can deal with the Fleet guy. No drama, no games and sometimes in my experience no deposit. Just order it with a handshake.

lwmcguire

Same here unless the computer says earlier, and it hasn't in 100K of all types towing. I never see high engine or transmission temps with diligent driving. Our motorhome has a 20k oil change interval and one of the new JD;s now has 500 hours listed. 500 hours would easily be 25K miles.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So what's the DEF usage like on these trucks? Forgot about the new ones using the exhaust fluid. Do you keep spare in the truck or just purchase when needed?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So what's the DEF usage like on these trucks? Forgot about the new ones using the exhaust fluid. Do you keep spare in the truck or just purchase when needed?

Purchase when it's needed.
I'd say my Ford uses 5gal every 4-5k when towing. Probably get 5-6k city driving. I'm sure all brands give messages/warnings. At 500 miles to go I get a reminder I need DEF. I think the last warning is at 50 miles to go then the engine either goes into low power mode or just shuts down. I'd have to review the owners manual to be sure.
Don't know how efficient the Rams are.

Bones

What gearing did you go with? I get def when I'm at a quarter tank. If I am going on a trip I will buy a case and carry it with me. Outside that you can get def almost anywhere now so it is not a big deal. When you fill up at truck stops you can get DEF.

Squirlee

I have 16,000 KM on mine and I am on my second gallon of DEF. Obviously I haven't done a ton of towing yet so the consumption will probably go up. I always top my DEF tank up when it is half full.