General Satellite Troubleshooting

wdk450

Gang:
I just went through a minor problem with my Dish Network system that I have been operating in the trailer for over 6 years. I couldn't get HD reception on most (but not all) of my local Sacramento local stations. This just didn't make sense. But I came to a revelation about the workings of DTV satellite systems that makes troubleshooting and most repairs a bit easier.

My thought is: The DTV satellite systems consist of 3 major subsystems - The antenna system, the converter box, AND THE SOFTWARE. To elaborate, to address my HD problem, I rechecked the aiming of my antenna via the box's built-in aiming strength screens. This pretty much checks out the LMB's, reflector dish, cabling, splitters, etc. I did a master reboot of the box (removing and replacing the smartcard temporarily), which self-tests the box on boot-up. But I forgot about the software. The software is updated/re-validated by calling the satellite TV provider and having the tech support send you a reset signal addressed to your box over their data stream. This told my box that I was SUPPOSED to be getting the HD feeds for ALL of the Sacramento stations, and then everything worked O.K.

dlw930

I've learned the software is a critical part of the RV satellite system. I use the Tailgater with my Dish 211z receiver. I've had problems getting channels (HD and SD) when it's been a month or so since I last used the receiver. The problem is that the software can get out of date. The receiver is supposed to check the software version during the startup process, but that doesn't always happen. I'm going to start bringing the receiver home a day or so before a trip and hook it up to my home dish to make sure the software is current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Yeah, I have been using the tailgater for about four years and every once in a while when we haven't traveled for a month or so, I get the same thing Dave described. One tech told me to just tell them that I need a "hit" and they will send the software update. Keeps you from having to go through all the diagnostics they try to have you do. Of course your system has to be set up.

wdk450

Yeah, I have been using the tailgater for about four years and every once in a while when we haven't traveled for a month or so, I get the same thing Dave described. One tech told me to just tell them that I need a "hit" and they will send the software update. Keeps you from having to go through all the diagnostics they try to have you do. Of course your system has to be set up.

My system reboots at 3 am every night. That never resolved this missing HD Locals problem I had for a couple of months. If you have a problem like this, or have tried everything else to get your system working properly, call the Tech Support number and have them send you out a new reset/flash signal. It will take about 15 minutes to an hour before the flash takes effect.