Generator and Level Up Costs

My wife and I was wondering how much it costs to put in a generator in the 5 th wheels and can we do it if we order it from the factory or do we have to get it at the place we pick it up at

also how much for the leveling system

thanks gary and Janelle Bucher

scottyb

Re: costs

Absolutely you can order it from the factory. If it is a toy hauler with fuel cell it will be a gas generator, otherwise it will run off the propane tanks.

branson4020

Icantre Member

You can order the full genny, or just the gen prep and add the generator later if you want. Also, just to clarify, you can't buy direct from factory. You have to go through a dealer who can place an order for you. Someone will chime in with list price of options, I'm sure, but as with all things involving a dealer, it's negotiable.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We optioned ours with a 5500 Onan propane generator...the option was right around $5,000...

danemayer

My wife and I was wondering how much it costs to put in a generator in the 5 th wheels and can we do it if we order it from the factory or do we have to get it at the place we pick it up at

also how much for the leveling system

thanks gary and Janelle Bucher

Hi Gary and Janelle,

Here's a link to the MSRP sheets for Bighorn. You can have a dealer order the RV from the factory with exactly the options you want. One approach would be to negotiate the price on the base trailer with some of the less expensive options. Once you have your best price, and the dealer is ready to order you the rig at that price, start negotiating for the expensive options, looking to get a deeper discount on the options.

Most people report discounts of 25-30% on their coaches. On the expensive options like the generator, you might get the dealer to discount 40% since he's already agreed with you on how much profit he wants to order the trailer for you.

So for generator prep and generator options, the MSRP is around $6700. But maybe you could negotiate it down to around $4000.

Last edited:

xlrEAGLE1

My dealer just ordered me a 5.5k Onan LP gen and the install kit from Heartland for my 2014 3160EL. The cost for the gen, install kit and labor is $5,200. Of course he discounted me 20% for buying the coach from him. My 3160 was not preped for a gen, so my dealer has to order everything Heartford shows is needed to install it. That is what I refer to as the install kit. Most of the install kit should already be on a coach that is preped for a gen.

Last edited:

dbbls59

I think the level up is about $3600 if ordered with the unit from the factory. Added on later it is about $5000.

dcwettstein

Don't buy without level up system. Best option we got. also get the reel for the power cord. That cord is big and heavy. As for generator we added solar to our 3160EL. Much quieter then running a generator. We carry a small 2000 Watt gen if we need it. don't use the air at all. Some places do not allow generators or only during certain hours. They also **** off the neighbors.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland gave me a good price on a Onan 5500 installed by them when I factory ordered my BH. The dealer wanted almost $2000 more for the same generator installation, aftermarket.

I disagree with the previous post about solar instead of a generator. Unless you have 600-800 watts of solar panels and a massive bank of batteries and inverter, they will serve two different purposes. You will need the generator to run your A/C's, microwave, etc, etc.
I also have a Honda eu2000i, but I usually don't carry it, because DW says it's overkill. (I have been known to be into overkill :) )

I dry camp often and I usually only start my genny when I have to. It's not usually a problem, because if I'm in the boonies I don't have neighbors. If I have neighbors, I use it sparingly. My house batteries are always kept charged by the solar setup. I carry a small 400 watt inverter that allows me to run small draw appliances (computer, phone etc.) from the house batteries, so no need to start the generator for those options. Trace