Generator for Bighorn 3055RL

RichPal

I'm interested in getting a portable generator or have one installed in my 09 Bighorn 3055RL. Any suggestions? Should I just have it in the truck bed?

brianharrison

What is your need for a generator - do you do LOTS of boondocking and want to run two airconditioners at the same time? Or do you want to go boon docking and run the coffee pot and charge batteries? Different scenarios.

If the latter - get a Honda 2000 EU or equivalent - if the the former install the ONAN 5500LP in the Bighorn. The 5500 will cost you about 6K installed or more. The Honda 2000 will be about 1K. If you want two, it will set you back about 2K with parallel kit and you can run one Air Conditioner and charge your batteries.

Brian

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have a Honda 2000ui and I am looking to sell it because we do not use it. You can run all your 110 on it but would need to get a second Honda 2000 Companion to run both in parrell for 30amp service. PM me if interested.

DRGalligher

We have a 2011 3055RL and contemplated having an Onan installed in the front bay. The cost stopped us, so we continue to use our Honda EU2000 and it works very well for us, but we don't and can't run the AC with it, nor need to where we camp at high altitude. In our travels we came upon a couple with an Onan in their front bay (different brand fifth, but doesn't matter) and they have to carry additional LP tanks for it because it uses a lot. The Honda is very economical and can run on a tank in econo mode for several days. For this reason, we prefer to use our portable Honda.

Mrsfish

Funny - we HAD a 2000, sold it and got a 3000. We're now selling the 3000 and going back to a 2000 with a companion. Funny thing about age - 2x50 is easier than 1x134 :)

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have the Honda 2000ui and the Honda Companion 2000i. Normally we just use the one 2000ui, but if its hot and need the AC then we run both together. Works for all of our needs and we have a separate 6 gallon fuel tank that plugs into one or both of the Hondas at the same time and gives us about 48 hours of run time

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

pegmikef

I have the Honda 2000ui and the Honda Companion 2000i. Normally we just use the one 2000ui, but if its hot and need the AC then we run both together. Works for all of our needs and we have a separate 6 gallon fuel tank that plugs into one or both of the Hondas at the same time and gives us about 48 hours of run time

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ditto on the Honda pair less the six gallan tank.