Generator rack

lakeside

Greetings Heartland,
The wife and I are soon to purchase a Bighorn 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel #3685RL. My questions are: A. Is the rear bumper / hitch / frame strong enough to hold my generator and a generator rack that weighs about 300 pounds? B. Does Heartland recommend adding this much weight to the rear of the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel? C. Will this added weight cause any problems while the 5er is in motion? D. Where can I purchase a rack? We will be doing some boon docking in Alaska so really need the generator. We love the floor plan of the 3685RL. Thank you. Jerry

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would not recommend putting that much weight on the rear of your Bighorn. It will put a lot of stress on the frame, especially given the bumpy conditions of the roadways in, and getting to Alaska. The bike rack option that Heartland offers (or used to offer - not sure it's still available) for Landmarks was, I believe, for only less than 200 pounds of weight. Have you considered mounting the generator on a slide assembly from the cargo bay or mounting in the back of the tow vehicle? Or better yet, if you're going to do a lot of boondocking, why not get a unit with a generator installed?

jnbhobe

I carry a Honda 3000 on a rack on the back of my Bighorn,it is custom made with 2 recivers welded to the back 30 inches of the frame with cross bars. I have been using it for 5 years with no problem. Lippert had seen it and still honored the warranty on the springs.