Generator Rating for Landmark 365 Trailers

Crossbow

Hi guys,
I am about to be a new Landmark 365 Arlington owner and would like to ask a question about generator sizing. The coach I am purchasing is a 2017 and has 3 AC units on it. I also have the residential appliance package on it. Most of the LP generator setups that I have seen for a coach like this is 5500W but by my calculations this is too small. So my question is for all you guys and gals with large trailers in similar options, what size of a generator do you have and how do you feel it is sized? Just right? Too small? Too big?
The best time to get the right generator is up front when you first get it so I would like to make sure it is sized right. I am thinking a 7kw is about right.:cool:

jimtoo

Hi Crossbow,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'll let some of the other members give their opinions on the generator size.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club after you get your Landmark and join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit when you get it.

Jim M

TikiDawg

danemayer

Crossbow,

Landmark 365 comes with a Power Control System that sheds loads automatically to manage the available power. Each leg coming off the generator supplies 3600 watts (assuming each leg has a 30 amp breaker on the genny). You can run 2 A/C units in a 3600 watt profile, but not much else. The Power Control System is set up to shed the loads from the A/C units early on when there's too much demand for power. So the A/C units may all run, but depending on what else is drawing power, one or two of the units could cycle on and off.

Take a look at our Landmark 365 User Guide. This is explained a little further starting on page 42.

A 6500 watt unit may still only come with 30 amp circuit breakers on the genny, so it's possible it may not give you any advantage over a 5500 with two 30 amp breakers.

Crossbow

The 5.5kw LP generator is geared for 45.8 amps while the 5.6 is 54.2 amps. The 5.5 is recommended for a single roof ac and the 6.5 for dual roof ac's. If the 5.5 runs flat out it shouldn't trip the two 30amp fuses since 30 * 120 = 3600 watts and 2X is 7200; An impossible condition for a 5500 watt generator to supply enough power to do trip both breakers. 20 * 120 = 2400 watts. So really a 30/20 breaker is truly the max the generator should put out. The 6500 is really the 7k watt generator in gasoline and should be able to push both circuits close to max before tripping. And when it runs it will run at a lower speed to make up the current at whatever level compared to the 5.5w. It just seems that the 6.5 is the closer generator for a 50amp trailer.