Generator will not stay running going down the road

Abest

We have a 2015 Cyclone 4200 and wish to run the generator on hot days while towing to keep the trailer cooled down. The generator will not run long. We had a 2011 cyclone with the same generator I believe it always would run fine while towing. Does anyone know if it is designed to be able to run while towing?

6.7LMegaCab

Check carb for gunk (issue with my old 2008 Weekend Warrior Onan gen) and check to see both cylinders have spark. My 2014 RW generator wouldn't stay running Labor Day Weekend 2018 and after some troublingshooting, I isolated it down to a bad magneto. I ended up pulling the generator and taking it to a local shop that has the equipment to diagnose these generators and confirmed it was bad magneto that probably failed due to a bad spark plug. They replaced the failed magneto and both spark plugs and it has ran fine since.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Abest

Thank you for the input. My generator however runs fine standing still. It just won’t stay running while towing it down the road.

6.7LMegaCab

I don't think much has changed with the carb design, but I'd look at distance between gen and fuel tank between your old trailer and your new one. Perhaps the fuel pump can't keep up with it in motion. Unfortunately, I don't know what else would cause it. If you have the manuals that came with the trailer, look to see if there is some safety cuttoff when trailer is being pulled.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

esscobra

could be the airflow is keeping the output from flowing and causing the unit to overheat -try putting something in front of outlet so hot air can get out and into moving airflow and not be blocked my air moving from travel

chiefneon

Howdy!

I have a 2014 Cyclone 4000 and my generator has ran find until my last time to exercise it. Started find and then shutdown with the starter light blinking red on the inside.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

porthole

Retired
We have a 2015 Cyclone 4200 and wish to run the generator on hot days while towing to keep the trailer cooled down. The generator will not run long. We had a 2011 cyclone with the same generator I believe it always would run fine while towing. Does anyone know if it is designed to be able to run while towing?

No reason why it shouldn't.

These gens run leaner then they ever have. So it might be possible that at highway speeds the gen is running too lean if there is any additional air being pushed in.
Have you checked the fuel pump? Fuel filter?

There have been a couple of instances where people have added a second pump back by the tank.
You could also check your fuel line. Ours was pinched behind the generator and was causing run problems.

I ran our gen frequently while on the road for the same reasons. Seldom had problems.

also take a look at the link below for "Onan issues"