Getting to Grand Lake, CO

dewwood

We are coming from the west on I70 pulling our Bighorn. What would be the best route to reach the Grand Lake area? Is 40 north from I70 doable? We will probably be leaving that way to head on east when we leave Colorado. It looks like a lot of switchbacks along that route but I did not see many alternatives.

MTPockets

We drove that same route in 2013. We stayed in Grand Lake a few days, then drove thru Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park to Estes Park. An Awsome drive. Yes, switchbacks and mountain road, but I pulled our Big Horn with no issues.. Having said that, I have talked with some who say they would not do it - if you're queesy about height, maybe, but We loved the drive.

brianlajoie

If you wanted to bypass Berthod Pass, you could go over Eisenhower Pass (I-70) and exit at Silverthorn (highway 9) to Kremmling and back door to Grand Lake. It is an alternative to going over Berthod Pass if you are concerned about it. Either way should be beautiful with the aspens changing. Be sure to check the road conditions for Trail Ridge road before you head over it. It snowed there in August.

dewwood

I saw rt 9 going through Kremmling, that might not be quite so twisty by looking at it on the map. How about leaving there to go east on I70 or I80, the road through the park does not look like an rv friendly route are there other options?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I lived in Grand Lake for a few years as a kid...My parents owned the Grand Lake Motel.
Whichever way you go, you will have one beautiful drive! Trail Ridge pulling could be a white knuckle experience if you are not a mountain person!
But if that doesn't bother you than pulling over Berthod Pass will not be an issue.

brianlajoie

rt 9 is not a 'moutain pass' road. It is a 2 lane mountain road, but no switchbacks or big hills for that matter. Lake Dillion drains towards Kremmling, so that sould give you some perspective. If you are concerned about narrow mountain passes, perhaps take the back way into Grand Lake and then do a day trip over Trail Ridge road to Estes Park. Not sure of your time frame, but that may be an option. Return trip you can retrace your steps over rt 9, go over Trail Ridge road rt 34 or take rt 40 back to Kremmling and then head north on to rt40, rt14 and up through Walden and eventually Laramie and I80. I would agree the last route is the long way around, but it is an option. How soon are you planning to come to Grand Lake? Do you have experience travelling with your trailer over high mountain passes and 2 lane roads?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would not take a 5th-wheel over Trail Ridge Rd (Rocky Mountain National Park) . . . or any RV trailer for that matter, even if the truck is capable!

Why waste a wonderful drive by pulling a huge trailer that you will not be able to park along the route (well, very few spots, anywayz) so you can enjoy the views, plus have everyone behind you PO'd all along the way?

Berthoud Pass, despite having a lot of switchbacks, is not a bad road to pull up with a travel trailer, and has passing lanes when needed on most uphill climbs, and is the road we take when going that way.

dewwood

Thanks for all of the replies, we are planning on getting there later this week we are in Great Basin National Park now and leaving tomorrow. We are going to spend a week or so in Grand Lake then start heading back to Indiana. I was not planning on pulling the fiver over Trail Ridge Road just driving it in the truck and then leaving from Grand Lake to start home. You all have given me some good info, thanks again.

JohnD

We like to stay at the Winding River RV park just outside of Grand Lake!

Nice campground and lots to do, and just a mile or so from the Entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park.

To bad you can't stay another week as we are having a Colorado Heartland Owners Club Rally in Central City in two weeks (Sept 24-27, 2015 - you'll be driving right by there on your way out).

dewwood

Winding River is our destination but we don't have reservations because I'm not sure what day we will arrive. Hopefully we will get a spot. Wish we could stay for the rally but we have to head home with a stop in Indy to see the three grandsons.

JohnD

Winding River is our destination but we don't have reservations because I'm not sure what day we will arrive. Hopefully we will get a spot. Wish we could stay for the rally but we have to head home with a stop in Indy to see the three grandsons.

The Rally actually starts in a week and two days . . .

Maybe if you find yourself hanging around that long you can stop in . . .

So far it sounds like we've got a good one planned!

Here is a link to the info: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-Rally-CO-Central-City-9-24-2015-to-9-27-2015

Winding River is a great place.

We haven't been up there in awhile and are thinking about making that one of our destinations next year!

The fall colors are coming in right now, so you should have some good scenery, and the wildlife (elk and moose) are all over the place!

dewwood

We arrived day before yesterday and have a spot out in the meadow which has full hookups, good thing as it has been somewhat cool in the evenings. We really like the park, one reason we picked this campground was so my wife would get to see a moose. No problem we saw a cow and calf right here in the campground last night, wife was very happy.

We really are enjoying the area, we hiked the short trail to Adams Falls yesterday and went on to the meadow it was beautiful. Do you have any points of interest that you consider as must see? We like to hike the less strenuous trails as we are not up to the five mile and 2000' elevation gains. We can do 2 to 4 mile round trips with 500' or so elevation changes.

Thanks for your input.

JohnD

We arrived day before yesterday and have a spot out in the meadow which has full hookups, good thing as it has been somewhat cool in the evenings. We really like the park, one reason we picked this campground was so my wife would get to see a moose. No problem we saw a cow and calf right here in the campground last night, wife was very happy.

We really are enjoying the area, we hiked the short trail to Adams Falls yesterday and went on to the meadow it was beautiful. Do you have any points of interest that you consider as must see? We like to hike the less strenuous trails as we are not up to the five mile and 2000' elevation gains. We can do 2 to 4 mile round trips with 500' or so elevation changes.

Thanks for your input.

Well, just up the road is the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park . . . this is a must see!

Plan on the whole day!

Over on the other side is Estes Park, Colorado.

Take some time to walk around town before heading back to the campground!

Someone told me the other day they saw bull moose up in Rocky Mountain National Park a week or so ago . . .