Give Heartland your feedback on the 2012 Landmark - what do you want?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Having done over 20 years in the automotive service business I just don't understand why so many people, trailer brand not important, end up having their units in the shop for months at a time.

Must be shop mentality of "people don't need" their trailers". That type of service would never fly for cars and trucks.

Although, like the post above, many times you hear "in the shop" for 2-3-4 months or more, but never hear a reason why, good or bad.

We have had ours in the shop for up to 3 months. The excuse you hear from the shop is 1. we are 'snowed under' 2. yours is next in line 3. we are waiting on parts 4. blah blah blah blah 5. we are working as fast as we can

The delays on working on the RVs seems to be the norm in the RV industry. I have found that if you tell the shop you live in the unit full time they seem to put you at the front of the line. The biggest issue seems to be the lack of competent help.

Camper51

I would love to see Heartland put Berber carpet in the Landmark. Our last RV had Berber carpet, and I loved it. Berber carpet does not show any wear, or get matted down like some of the "pile carpet". I think Berber would make a huge difference.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have had ours in the shop for up to 3 months. The excuse you hear from the shop is 1. we are 'snowed under' 2. yours is next in line 3. we are waiting on parts 4. blah blah blah blah 5. we are working as fast as we can

The delays on working on the RVs seems to be the norm in the RV industry. I have found that if you tell the shop you live in the unit full time they seem to put you at the front of the line. The biggest issue seems to be the lack of competent help.

One of the advantages of being a seasonal user is being able to drop off the rig at the end of the season, or before the next one starts. Removes the urgency. But since it's now out of warranty, using a mobile RV service at the site is an option for us unless it's some kind of structural issue or a failure I can't handle myself.

That being said, the only long duration visit our rig had at the dealership for work was when the bedroom floor needed repair, along with some other maintenance items. They had it for about 5 weeks. Two of the weeks we were going out of town for an extended car trip anyways, and they agreed to hold the rig until we got back. It was actually ready for pickup before we returned. Oh yeah, I had called and made an appointment to bring it in, first.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Unless, the issue is something that requires immediate work, I would not leave my unit sitting in there lot for months. Fix it or I will take it somewhere else. Unless it is still warranty work. But if its something that can wait then, why not take it and use it while waiting.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
First off let me state that I have not read all 160 of the preceding posts, but I have read many of them - and I too will repeat some of the items that have already been posted . The first and foremost on this list needs to be QUALITY - both actual and perceived. You can argue all day long that the quality is top notch in all of the Heartland RVs but I would propose that the "Rats Nest" of plumbing and wiring leaves the perception that it less than it should be. Also, as someone else has stated already, using plastic plumbing fittings may save 80% over the cost of Brass fittings, but it lessens the perception of quality at a savings of I would estimate less than $300 per unit. Also the use of the PEX Steel Crimp Rings when done correctly are a perfectly good connection, although there is no post install verification ( no way other than visual that everything is done correctly ) to insure that the ring made a proper seal. the Copper Compression Rings have a verification Gage that is used to insure that the Crimp was done completely.

Just a few general comments -

Kevin

dave10a

The PEX that uses the crimp rings are consider old and obsolete. The new PEX doesn't use crimp rings but uses and expansion tool to expand the plastic pipe over the fitting and it shrinks in place making it absolutely water tight and tight fitting-- sort of like shrink tubing. Also the pipes will not burst when frozen because the new plastic expands with the freezing to very low temperatures. Plumbers in are using it in the winter areas with success and have completely abandon copper on plastic with crimps. So if Heartland wants to be ahead of the games and leap frog the competition they would adopt this new technology. Just think winterizing is a thing of the past :)

wildwolfproducts

Is there a way to find out what was added new over the old? Read each of the post expecting to find this info. Did not see it.
But a heads up, We may be able to order our Key Largo by the end of the month. If so you can bet there will be lots of changes the week after. But if so thats life, and I will still be happy with what I get.
Pete

Camper51

We ordered our Key Largo in February and took delivery last week. We were disappointed to see some of the changes that have been made to the 2013. They changed the fireplace surround, cabinet doors over the TV, backsplash, and eliminated the barrel cabinets. It's disappointing to not get what we had seen before ordering. We've ordered several campers, this is our first Heartland. We always knew exactly what we were getting and were not surprised. This time, not so much

MaxOwner

Ability to use onboard water pump to draw water into the fresh water tank from a 5 gallon container or a gavity feed fill point.

wildwolfproducts

Ability to use onboard water pump to draw water into the fresh water tank from a 5 gallon container or a gavity feed fill point.

Short length of water hose to screw into your fresh water inlet. Stick it down into the 5 gallon container then turn on the pump? Would that not work? Same as sucking up the Antifreeze ?

MaxOwner

This I thought of after awhile. But would like the ability to add water to tank. Because you can draw away from the gray water tank with a Tote N Store, if need be.

May look into the plumbing and see if a diverter type valve/tee/junction could be added. IF I can figure out all those lines...............:confused:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
This I thought of after awhile. But would like the ability to add water to tank. Because you can draw away from the gray water tank with a Tote N Store, if need be.

May look into the plumbing and see if a diverter type valve/tee/junction could be added. IF I can figure out all those lines...............:confused:

Doesn't your Landmark have a Water fill position in the UDC (docking center) to allow you to fill your tank?
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Plumbing/UDC/Anderson/UDC_4_Way_Valve.pdf

MaxOwner

Yes it does. Only way to fill tank is to hook a water/garden hose and fill.

I would like to see where the water pump in trailer can be used to draw water from a container and divert to fresh water tank. Like using the sanitize/winterize feature. This only pressurizes the lines.

Reason is if we spend a week where water hook up is not available. We are doing this next week for 5 days. With 4 people in the trailer.

Would be handy.....

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Maxowner,

I think if you hook a hose to the inlet valve of your UDC and place the other end into your water container. Turn on your pump and have the selector valve set to Tank fill, Your fresh water tank should then be filled from water drawn from the container using your water pump. If you switch the selector valve to sanitiZe-winterize, the water from the container would be pumped to the fixtures instead.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Maxowner, You could draw water from a bucket using the winterizing feature in the UDC. You should have a 1/2" tube extending out from under your rig that can be used to pump or drain water from your plumbing system. Adapt this 1/2 line to a garden hose connection and attach a hose to it and then to the fresh tank fill. Turn on the pump and set the valve to winterize. The pump should pressurize the plumbing system from the bucket then open that drain valve to allow water to flow into the fresh tank.
All of this is dependent on your having that drain line.

MaxOwner

Hey Ray.

I'm having trouble following your last post above..... The fresh water tank does have a drain. I haven't found the low drain points for this trailer, yet......

Stang: for a 10 year old truck it does alright for power. Newer truck with more horse/torque would be better. I re did the rear suspension. Took the old 5 leaves out and put 6 new ones in. Plus air bags.

tom p

tomp
The bed (king) leaves no room to make it nor are there shelves on either side. In the kitchen area it would be nice to have skylight to make it brighter like the cyclone? Keep up the good work. I had a friend tell me he purchased a new (8-10-12) cyclone. He will be joining the heartland owners club soon. Thanks for your time. Tom Padovano(tomp)

MaxOwner

A little shelf on both sides of the bed would be nice, at the head of the bed.

Also individually controlled lights over the pillow area would be nice.

And a small indirect light near the floor somewhere in the bedroom would be nice. Not too bright, but to allow someone to walk around without tripping over the booby traps that the wife leaves out. :(