Give Heartland your feedback on the 2012 Landmark - what do you want?

ihsolutions

Yes Alan, the one ton duallys can pull 21,500lbs, but some people want a SRW, like me. The one ton 2011 Chevy Heavy Duty standard box pulls 17,200 lbs. but the unfortunate key is the 2011 Landmark appears to have over 4,000 lb pin weight, and GMC 3500HD's max pin weight allowed is 4,035 lbs. Very close call for Single Rear Wheel one tons. I don't want to be forced to buy a dually. Heartland advertises that shortbed trucks will pull their rigs, so I am hoping that HL reduces the pin weight as much as they can in the 2012's, so I can buy a Landmark and tow it with a standard box one ton.

Larry, I just checked on the Heartland site and most of the units have a pin weight around 2200lbs or so, except the Rushmore which comes in at 2,620.

Now I was skeptical when I saw the published pin on my 3670RL but I weighed it at the factory and it was, indeed, correct. I had always heard about the "20% of trailer GVWR" rule of thumb but in my case, fully loaded for a trip my pin weight increased only 300lbs (now at 2500lbs). My 2500HD pulls it just fine (though I did add airbags).

I would suspect that unless you are full timing, one of the new 2011 GMC 3500 SRW models would have more than enough capacity to pull even the largest Landmark.

sgtbigb

Most people who own the Landmark brand or full timers. I am not one of them. However the dinette only need chairs for two people most of the time. The other two chairs could be the folding kind that could be store somewhere in the coach for use if needed.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would love to see a 50 amp plug at the front of the coach or at least in the middle. Not all CG's are rear only friendly with a 25' cord. How about a 110V plug in the front storage compartment. Its a great place to have a small air compressor.

On edit, Pat and I saw out 1st ever M18 Edge today. Nice unit but I see now what some people are saying about the door and the awning. I think I figured out why the door hold open is the way it is. It would hit the side window. Pat in her infinite wisdom said to me...."why dont they put the door on the rear of the coach." "Then they could put the cabinets where the door is". I asked her "OK, what about the TV"? Good answer, "put it on a swivel base in the same cabinet opening. Well Coley...thats our 2 cts

Last edited:

irogeo

I am a truck driver. As I drive down the road I see well over half of the Landmarks coming down the road being pulled by less than a 1 ton truck. To accomadate the average owner the pin weight needs to be kept to a minimun. I understand that adding a rear hitch to a new Landmark dissolves the frame warrenty. I would like to see the factory add a rear hitch option so warrenty would still be valid.

skh

I bought the 2011 Grand Canyon specifically for the desk area! You have to keep that so on the road self employed have floorplan for it. Definitely do not like the furniture arrangement, if you go back to the couch fitting on the back wall and the recliners in the slide out (yes, they should be wall huggers) so there is not major furniture moving to slide everything in I would probably go to it right away. Then you can lay straight on the couch and watch TV too, the way it is now this couch is very uncomfortable. As of now I'm already planning on leaving a recliner out and putting a file cabinet in that corner, need the file cabinet and moving the recliners suck. I have two dinette chairs in storage underneath also, just not space for them.
Would much prefer at least SOME main light switches NOT behind a cabinet door. Have looked at moving them myself to around the side with the vent and AC controls but not serious about it yet.
Also would prefer not the ornate facade but back to plainer, real trim like I think 2010 had, was disappointed to wind up with the fake fancy dust catching stuff. I like the blinds and didn't think I would but you need to have the hold downs installed.
I think the exterior is fine. The interior counter tops are beautiful when clean but hard to keep that way, I guess I would prefer lighter color next time for that.
Structurally I would say it's all right as doing much there would really affect cost. Rainwater in the underbelly shouldn't be happening though and that wouldn't cost much to work with.
We need to be careful comparing to much higher priced units as that really isn't fair.
I do think the slides need more insulation all around, it doesn't matter much how the rest of the unit is insulated when it is 75% or so slide out.
Basically I'm satisfied though and have been around the block more than once with RV's, both mass manufactured and custom built in the last 20 years. At the moment we own 5 up to 53' including the LM which we are in ourselves and I would have to say today you're doing pretty good all in all!
Oh yeah, I like the Grand Canyon bed/bathroom and I wasn't sure I would, but definitely would not want the King bed up there! Watch your build sheets more carefully along with quality control as I wasn't happy when it came King even though the build sheet was Queen. They did get it switched out but would have been done better at the factory, and I ended up with a $20. mattress then which I had to replace right away.

Tom of Ypsi

I also want to add when you move the UDC back to where it was on the "Classics" make sure you put the sliding doors back in the basement. With the sliding doors you will be able to access all the water lines, converter and the back of thw water heater without have to unscrew a panel. Seems to me reading this thread QC should be the first thing you tackle.

beardedone

Beardedone
Here are a couple more of my ideas:
- Lower the cable tv connections in the UDC, I can't get my fingers around them and it is frustrating.
- Try to make the trailer a little more dust proof. My Landmark fills up with dust very easily because of gaps in the slide seals and throughout the basement.
- WHY NOT make a single entry point for a satellite receiver and from there to different locations. The independent lines for each tv outlet doesn't work for me. You should visit the sites that asking about how to do this and that in order to get around the cable wiring.

K

karykatz

Thank you everyone for all of your input. There are lots of great ideas. Keep them coming.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
After a lot of thought this weekend I came up with a pretty cool compromise. Without knowing where Heartland wants to be with the Landmark I thought there could be a two-tiered approach. Keep the current Landmark as is just above the Bighorn and still in a reasonable price range and then create a Landmark “Elite”. Here we can have that “next level” up, something that could compete with those other high end rigs. While I have been updating my earlier post I thought I might venture in this new direction with this one.

1) Let’s get a heavier, more robust frame. This would include either a dually axle and a tag axle or a triple axle. We can discuss the pros and cons of the axles in a separate post.
2) Consider thicker sidewalls for better insulating values.
3) Include an eight point hydraulic stabilizing system.
4) Improved tank sensors, no-contact style.
5) Wiring and plumbing neatly run and properly secured.
6) Plumbing fittings to be brass, no more plastic including the water heater check valve.
7) Tankless water heater.
8) Consider radiant floor heat.
9) A/C zoning to eliminate second A/C
10) Electronic remote controlled window shades.
11) Standard refer as option to conventional RV refer.
12) Residential style and size kitchen sink.
13) Dishwasher.
14) Electric awning with aluminum shield for when it is retracted.
15) Fiberglass roof.
16) Attention to detail a must.

Well what do you think???????

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Mark, I will tell you what I think. I would add disc brakes as standard, other than that you have a good list. Well thought, especially #16. I would even consider a Landmark if they could incorporate your ideas.

2010augusta

slide out LP tanks and a real slide out battery tray with enough cable to slide out. the plastic tray, loaded with 2 group 27s just does not work very well.

sgtbigb

excellent feedback!! thank you. We are working right now on product enhancements to the Landmark that will debut later this year. All of your suggestions will be taken into serious consideration - I'm confident the RV enthusiast will be impressed!

Cody, I want you to know how important this feed back is important. I have brought three Heartland products in the past 4 years, The reason for this loality is this Forum. I did not even consider another prodict because of this important method of customer satisfaction. Just wanted you to know!

netters1

From a woman's point of view...lol
1. I would add a Residential Refrigerator

2. Make the back of the RV deeper or slides smaller so that the Sofa can be put in the back and stay when the slides are in. Recliners can be in slide for better TV viewing.

3. A little more storage in the bathroom

4. Much better quality flooring

5. Much better quality furniture..the dining chairs are shot and we have only had RV one year...padding iw worthless

6. Better fabrics for furniture and Cornices. Possibly some earthtone solids that will go with anything.

7. Quality Bedding and Window treatments...the ones in the 2010 were very cheap looking...not something you would expect in a top of the line RV

8. Recessed lighting in the RV

9. Level-up system in the Landmarks..these are the top of the line RV's

10. Maybe add some shelving to one end of the closet for folded clothes.

11. Make the dining chairs more sturdy with better padding and fabric, also make 2 of them folding chairs so they don't take up as much room...usually people only need 2 most of the time.

12...Last but not least...please make the Slide surrounds solid wood. These foam facings look nice but the stain comes off very easily and makes the RV look Shoddy...we have several places where the stain has worn off and putting on new stain just makes it look worse.

Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents worth!! :):)

lwmcguir

Larry, I just checked on the Heartland site and most of the units have a pin weight around 2200lbs or so, except the Rushmore which comes in at 2,620.

Now I was skeptical when I saw the published pin on my 3670RL but I weighed it at the factory and it was, indeed, correct. I had always heard about the "20% of trailer GVWR" rule of thumb but in my case, fully loaded for a trip my pin weight increased only 300lbs (now at 2500lbs). My 2500HD pulls it just fine (though I did add airbags).

I would suspect that unless you are full timing, one of the new 2011 GMC 3500 SRW models would have more than enough capacity to pull even the largest Landmark.

Depending on how we load the Augusta we can easily go over 3,000 without the generator. We have to watch the loading to not go over our TV rating, especially the E rated tires. No problem if we had a dually that we used. Usually pull with a 2005 F250 super duty.

billd

After owning out BH3670 sin Oct 2006 and compairing the two rigs this is what I would like to see.

1. Quadra leveling system standard.
2. Moryde independent suspention with disk brakes.
3. Beefer frame.
4. UDC and water manifold like the classics.
5. Furniture areas deep enough to swap recliners and couch.
6. Customizing available for the floor plans to accomodale a handicapped person.
7. Bigger shower.
8. Have an inverter and solar option available.
9. Better day night shades (the strings come loose too easily)
10. The oven should be an option if a convection oven is standard.

That is all I can think of now.

Bill

sprehoda

I would disagree with reducing the desk size.

I will be teaching online classes in my GC and need the space for a printer and external hard drives.

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
Accessibility features that would be helpful for those with mobility issues in priority order based on measurements taken from my 2011 Augusta:

1. Entry steps to coach: 6 inch step risers (current is 8 inch) (Note: this by far is the single biggest obstacle to using a RV if you have mobility issues.)
  2. Longer exterior grab bar to get into the coach
  3. 18 inch toilet setting on a 4 inch riser for a total of 22 inches toilet height
  4. Grab bar on wall between hall and bathroom and in the bathroom mounted to a common reinforced wall (Note: I saw some attractive grab bars in Lowes that could double as a towel bar in the bathroom. IMHO the commercial metal bars you typically see in public restrooms look a little stark for the attractive decor used by Heartland.)
  5. Raise bed height 2 inches (Note: this also creates a larger storage area under the bed as well as make it easier for those with mobility issues to get out of the bed.)
  6. Grab bar on wall between bathroom and bedroom to use to get out of the bed