Give Heartland your feedback on the 2012 Landmark - what do you want?

tcbrady

SouthernNights - Yes, a number of the suggestions from this forum are being used in the new Landmark product. I can't release the full specifics at this point but if you look at the pictures Jim Beletti posted on the new San Antonio model you will see a number of changes to the Landmark product. We will have the Landmark changes finalized in within 30 days. Thanks to all for the feedback!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
SouthernNights - Yes, a number of the suggestions from this forum are being used in the new Landmark product. I can't release the full specifics at this point but if you look at the pictures Jim Beletti posted on the new San Antonio model you will see a number of changes to the Landmark product. We will have the Landmark changes finalized in within 30 days. Thanks to all for the feedback!!
Coley that is great. I was thinking more in line of things like disc brakes, water manifolds etc.

tcbrady

Our lead engineer will not let us offer disc breaks and we do not have plans to offer the water manifold in the Landmarks.....

Willym

I go along with many others above who have stated that manufacturing quality, attention to detail, and quality of components used should be the major focus for the "top of the line" Heartland unit. Landmarks look great on the outside, but durability and reliability can be improved by paying more attention to the stuff that is not so visible.

Example - I was at my dealers today for some warranty work. I asked them to look at the support under the fresh water tank. When the tank is partially full, it pushes down hard on the coroplast belly covering such that it stretches and doesn't seal properly. water gets in when it rains and soaks the insulation. The insulation under the tank is worthless as it is so compressed. The dealer could do nothing to help here - it's a design deficiency. So make the tanks/supports such that tanks are properly supported and all of the tank inventory can be used. The wiring, plumbing and ducting in the belly area looked haphazard.

Other examples,

Use brass not plastic fittings on PEX.
Better closet door catches.
Make the underbelly air and water tight.

Features,

Improve the suspension - why not take a leap and put in adjustable air suspension? This is now common on many commercial vehicles, I even saw it on logging trucks in Alaska and BC this past summer.
Go for disc brakes, many other trailers use them, it's a simple change.

Overall though - limit the gimmicks, really push the quality, add good running gear.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Improve the suspension - why not take a leap and put in adjustable air suspension? This is now common on many commercial vehicles, I even saw it on logging trucks in Alaska and BC this past summer.
Go for disc brakes, many other trailers use them, it's a simple change.

Bill,

FYI the adjustable air suspension is available after-market take a look at this thread.

caissiel

My impression on disc brakes on trailers is from past experiences with my trucks.
staying away from disc brakes is my preference.

It has been all troubles on my 3/4 ton trucks
The pads fall off due to corrosion and I have to carry a complete replacement with me all the time.
My previous GM had drum brakes on the back and it was flawless for 9 years.

I feel that disc pads and disc will rust and surely be more maintenace to keep up when parked in the grass. Its ok on pavement but not all CG have paved lots, not where I go.

More braking as with discs only cause axle and spring forces that cause more maintenance requirement.

Its like the upside down rear ends on Motorhome they fail because of not enough use, compared to buses. Well disc brakes need to run steady to stay clean and they are surely not on our RV's

On my collector cars I need to take them for a spin often to keep them clean to keep the discs from rusting, they squeel a bit but after a few hard braking, I park the car again till next time.

sgtbigb

I know this may be to late for 2012 version, however I would like to see a large gap in options and quality betweem the Bighorn and the Landmark!

Willym

Laurent, I never had any issues with the Dexter disc brakes on my previous two trailers. No significant rusting of pads or discs, easy to check wear rates, and easy pad replacement. I know plenty of other owners with similar experience.

Terry, thanks. I realise that aftermarket air suspensions are available, but Heartland could make the Landmark brand more advanced with it as standard equipment, or at the least as an option.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know this may be to late for 2012 version, however I would like to see a large gap in options and quality betweem the Bighorn and the Landmark!

I don't understand your comment. Why would you want to see a large gap in the options and quality between the Bighorn and LandMark. This leads me to think you mean to make the Bighorn a cheaper or more inferior unit. I can see no reason for this. I think each should have the best quality and options available. That way we all win.

This is not ment to cause an argument but the post just caught me in a negative way. I hope it was not ment that way.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I may have missed this but just lately it has become apparent that the door opening on my Bighorn is shorter than I am. I would like to see a door opening large enough in both the Landmark, Bighorn and some of the others have a taller opening so some of us tall dark and hansome guys don't bump our baulding heads..... :cool: I was in an SOB and was able to go inside without ducking.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I may have missed this but just lately it has become apparent that the door opening on my Bighorn is shorter than I am. I would like to see a door opening large enough in both the Landmark, Bighorn and some of the others have a taller opening so some of us tall dark and hansome guys don't bump our baulding heads..... :cool: I was in an SOB and was able to go inside without ducking.

BC

Was the opening designed like ours, with a four-step landing, or was it one of the brands that uses a three-step with a pit inside the rig at the door. I ****ed near killed myself in one of those at a previous RV show.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It had, I think, the four steps to enter the trailer, but I remember being able to stand in the doorway without having to duck my head. Fortunately my entry door has a fabric on the top of the opening.

BC

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
While I was at our local dealer I noticed an SOB that had a floor plan that would make the landmark in a class of its own with the living room in the front with the bedroom in the rear w/stackable washer/dryer in the bath also located in the rear section giving the bath and bedroom with plenty of head room with center kitchen/dining

jbeletti

Mike,

What brand and floor plan was that with the front livingroom?

To all,

If you were in the market for a replacement 5th wheel, would you buy a front livingroom floor plan?

Thanks everyone,

Jim

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Kenny and went to a RV show and they had one I really liked it and yes I think we would it was very nice.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would like to see a return to the "Big Man" package where the steps are wider and longer and the door opening is wider. Wide enough to get a wheel chair through.

sgtbigb

Mike,

What brand and floor plan was that with the front livingroom?

To all,

If you were in the market for a replacement 5th wheel, would you buy a front livingroom floor plan?

Thanks everyone,

Jim
I had a front living room 5th wheeler by Fleetwood Wilderness AX6. Love it , Plenty of headroom in bedroom and lots of space for shower. Only problem we had was keeping our clothes on the hanger in the closet.

sgtbigb

I
I don't understand your comment. Why would you want to see a large gap in the options and quality between the Bighorn and LandMark. This leads me to think you mean to make the Bighorn a cheaper or more inferior unit. I can see no reason for this. I think each should have the best quality and options available. That way we all win.

This is not ment to cause an argument but the post just caught me in a negative way. I hope it was not ment that way.

BC
I agree quality was not the right word. What I meant was there need to be a bigger difference between to two models say like a Mercedes E Class verses a Mercedes S Class :=)

2010augusta

I had a front living room 5th wheeler by Fleetwood Wilderness AX6. Love it , Plenty of headroom in bedroom and lots of space for shower. Only problem we had was keeping our clothes on the hanger in the closet.
here is a floor plan for the wilderness.
2005_wilderness_advantage_ax6_365flts_floorplan.jpg

A couple of my thoughts:

with a front living room, you could have no ceiling fan, so it could get stuffy up there.

Heat rises, in the day time the living room would be hotter, and the taller rear-bed would be harder to keep warm in the cool months

Walking through the Montana unit, the ceiling in the living room was oddly curved to provided extra head room, and that would cut down on the insulation value of the front of the trailer.

with rear bath and mid kitchen, more holding tanks are over the axles and that could lower the CCC and the fresh water tank is probably towards the front so a full water tank would really increase the pin-weight.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Jim,
The unit that I saw was a montana 3750FL, and yes, if I were in a replacement mind I would take it! Considering that the price was about the same.
Mike