glass shower doors

cmckeever

craig j mckeever
just wanted to let everyone that has the 6' shower on the 3610 re,check ur latch the bolt and nut came loose and fell off casing the door to slide open shatter,hartland says it made it to florida and wont replace it

traveler44

Some people have had such good service from Heartland that they won't believe that there isn't more to the story. When we open our shower door we have to watch that it doesn't swing clear around and hit the front of the toilet. Think I'll put some kind of stop or cushion to keep from breaking ours. Good luck getting yours fixed. Hate to see people have problems with a brand new unit. Tom M.

We just experienced the same problem with our 2012 3610RE. The door was secured prior to our leaving the campsite, however when we opened the door at arrival to the dealer, we were met with the unhappy surprise of shattered glass all over the bathroom from the shower doors. Methinks that Bighorn needs to come up with a better locking system to secure this door during travel. Can't wait to hear their response when I see if they will replace our either!

Ron Pontecore

Bobby A

Some people have had such good service from Heartland that they won't believe that there isn't more to the story. When we open our shower door we have to watch that it doesn't swing clear around and hit the front of the toilet. Think I'll put some kind of stop or cushion to keep from breaking ours. Good luck getting yours fixed. Hate to see people have problems with a brand new unit. Tom M.

I agree, Heartland has been absolutly bar none the BEST EVER !! In fact, they are working on my coach as we speek.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have a friend that we camped with last weekend. They have the same problem with their 3670 except the glass didn't break. I gave them 2 plastic clamps...1 small and 1 large. The little one we put on the latch itself and the big one on the lower glass track. Seemed to work well on their trip from Las Vegas to Socal. I agree that the latch is somewhat lacking. The shower provider needs to redesign the latch.

phix

We just experienced the same problem with our 2012 3610RE. The door was secured prior to our leaving the campsite, however when we opened the door at arrival to the dealer, we were met with the unhappy surprise of shattered glass all over the bathroom from the shower doors. Methinks that Bighorn needs to come up with a better locking system to secure this door during travel. Can't wait to hear their response when I see if they will replace our either!

Ron Pontecore

Our 2012 3610 re shower door also broke. At first the middle door had a sort of hole on the side where it hit the right side of the metal track during travel. We figured out that the latch wasn't working. Took it to service center with other warranty 2 months ago. Heartland agreed to fix it. We picked up the Horn to camp while waiting for the part to come in. We secured the door by putting a 1/4 inch piece of PVC in the track. Then returned to the service center. When they opened the bathroom door, they were met by shattered glass. After 2 months, the new doors came in BUT they were the wrong doors. So in the interim, we are camping again, this time without doors. We put up a shower curtain until they resend the doors. Hubby is looking to replace the bolt AND we will continue to put the PVC in the track in case.

But, why did they replace mine and not yours? This is a design issue IMHO.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have the mega shower and love it. So far we have been lucky in that we haven't had any problems with the tri-doors. I did feel very uncomfortable with the locking latch (or lack of) that is supposed to keep the doors in place while traveling. I have some cable-line velco that I put around the latch and velco back to the door for traveling. So far-so good. Another friend had ordered and received their BC 3650 but the tri-doors shattered in transport to the dealership from the factory. Heartland replaced them, no questioned asked. Note-what had we done before velco was invented?
Sometimes I wonder about the different dealerships and their willingness to work with Heartland on warranty stuff. It seems like our dealership goes out of their way to make things right which makes loving the coach even better.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We also have the mega shower and love it. So far we have been lucky in that we haven't had any problems with the tri-doors. I did feel very uncomfortable with the locking latch (or lack of) that is supposed to keep the doors in place while traveling. I have some cable-line velco that I put around the latch and velco back to the door for traveling. So far-so good. Another friend had ordered and received their BC 3650 but the tri-doors shattered in transport to the dealership from the factory. Heartland replaced them, no questioned asked. Note-what had we done before velco was invented?
Sometimes I wonder about the different dealerships and their willingness to work with Heartland on warranty stuff. It seems like our dealership goes out of their way to make things right which makes loving the coach even better.

Nathan,
Be careful with the velcro. We did that and it worked it's way off also. I have been using a cable tie and cutting it off everytime.

Someone gave me a good idea. I am going to try to move the latch to the forward side of the enclosure and move the doors forward. If you think about it, most of the inertia on the doors is when you are stopping.
There is very little by comparison, when taking off.
I will try to post results when I finish it. Trace

Nabo

TandT - thanks for the advice. The velcro I am using has a locking slip-thru cut area (hope that makes sense) so I can tighten it around the neck of the latch before wrapping it area the towel bar. I can't pull it off because of the velcro and the way the end of the latch is made. From what I understand, the newer units (mine came off the line & dated 5-27) don't have the towel bar so I'm confused what the latch locks on.

SJH - yes, this is the mega shower that is having the problems.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
At the Pomona show I noticed the mega baths have a new style latch on them. Dont know when they changed them.

TandT

TandT - thanks for the advice. The velcro I am using has a locking slip-thru cut area (hope that makes sense) so I can tighten it around the neck of the latch before wrapping it area the towel bar. I can't pull it off because of the velcro and the way the end of the latch is made. From what I understand, the newer units (mine came off the line & dated 5-27) don't have the towel bar so I'm confused what the latch locks on.

SJH - yes, this is the mega shower that is having the problems.

Nathan, what happened at one point on ours, was the towel bar slid down and the latch would not hold on to it. We had the velcro on it but the bar was not holding onto the door.
The new one Bob is referring to has a button through the glass with a more positive snap type latch that goes over it.
I am going to try moving the doors forward, against the rubber stop with the latch in the front.
I'll post results when I get it done. Trace

Last edited:

JJnLilly

I had to put a stop on the shower door of our Greystone 32RL because when it opens, the glass impacts with the edge of the vanity. Poor design!

Nabo

Tandt - the towel bar is bolted thru the door. It can't slid down. But this brings up another interesting point - is the door weaken because of the way the bar is attached and might have a possible break later on???

TandT

Tandt - the towel bar is bolted thru the door. It can't slid down. But this brings up another interesting point - is the door weaken because of the way the bar is attached and might have a possible break later on???

Mine isn't bolted through. It's held to the edge of the glass with a rubber tape insert of some type.

You must have a newer improved version.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Nathan - they make releasable cable ties that you can reuse many times. Get them in black and they will last outside in the sun too if needed.
I put a clear plastic self stick tab on the shower door where it hits the toilet. Also have a check list for the inside stuff where the wife must lock the shower door when we travel.

phix

At the Pomona show I noticed the mega baths have a new style latch on them. Dont know when they changed them.

Just picked up our 3610 after they replaced the glass shower door. Yes, the new design has a different style latch and no towel bar at all. I will try and post a picture in a few days.

TandT

Just picked up our 3610 after they replaced the glass shower door. Yes, the new design has a different style latch and no towel bar at all. I will try and post a picture in a few days.

Yes, I think it is an improvement. It seems more like a positive snap type clip, on a post through the glass. Can't slip down, or come off as easily. Trace

jbeletti

SEA changed the latch style used, around mid-summer or so.

I have the original style with the bolt/nut. I reinstalled it using lock-tite and it's holding great.

The old style is NOT retro-fittable with the new style latch, per SEA.

Jim

TandT

My problem isn't really the nut loosening up. The latch just won't stay on the towel bar when the rig bounces. The bar also starts working it's way down.
I wonder what it would cost to change out the necessary portions of the door, to use the new configuration? (We kinda, sorta just patched ours back together). Trace