Going insane

First time posting and trying to not turn this into a rant session.
I am now living in my 2018 cyclone 3600, loving it but getting annoyed.

Defects noticed so far:
Electrical breaker labeling is wrong... Or wiring wrong, take your pick
Canopy keeps sticking on initial expansion and requires a manual tug to properly track every time
Coax wiring to garage is off?
No wiring schematics
Cable hookups are not labeled anywhere.
Limited info online or in unit
Sticker schematics are outdated on the inside of doors
Where is the information on the entertainment wiring?
It's like this stuff is just thrown together in a random warehouse and workers are left to do it at their own discression. I have heard there are quality control issues, but come on. Is there anyone that is going to come and help me trouble shoot these things? Very frustrated because this is my home right now. Most pertinent issue is why can't I get my direct TV receiver working in the garage? Frustrated right now...

danemayer

Hi Androidshrink,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Here's a link to some satellite/cable/antenna wiring diagrams. The Cyclone 2015 diagram is about 2/3 of the way down the list.

There's a good likelihood that changes have been made since this document was posted, but it'll give you an idea how the wiring runs. If you want a more current diagram, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. If you get a newer diagram, please forward it to manuals@heartlandowners.org and we'll post it for the next person to use.

To get your satellite working, the place to start is to run coax from the dish, directly to the receiver to make sure you have everything working before you try to go through the trailer wiring. If you have a Winegard Trav'ler rooftop installation using the factory pre-wiring in the roof, you'll need to add jumpers in the Universal Docking Center to connect the rooftop wiring to the rest of the coach wiring. If you have an external dish that is SWM, you'll need a Directv Power Inserter (I think the Winegard also needs one).

In the UDC, there's typically 4 coax connectors in a row for satellite. That's 2 pairs of connectors. The right-hand connector of each pair should go to the rooftop pre-wiring.

The cable/antenna connectors are usually on the same wall plate as the satellite connector, at each TV location. But on some trailers, not every TV location is wired for satellite. Another Cyclone owner can probably fill you in with more detail. One location will have a signal booster with a small button that illuminates an LED. The signal booster must be ON for antenna and must be OFF for cable TV. It's irrelevant to the satellite setup because the satellite uses different coax lines.

I see that out of your list of defects, the "canopy" is the only thing that's actually malfunctioning. You should investigate that before it gets worse.

To get service, normally you have to take the trailer back to a Heartland dealer - preferably the selling dealer. But any Heartland dealer willing to do your warranty work is ok. With prior agreement from Heartland Customer Service, you can use a mobile servicer if you don't want to drop your rig off and wait. You'll have to pay the mobile servicer's travel charge, but that's usually a bargain compared to hauling the trailer to the dealer.

Thanks for your quick reply. I see what you are saying. I have been testing that and have found that only two inputs in the UDS box come in for receivers to connect, however, in under storage and garage, there are 2 coax outputs. I only assumed one was for satellite, besides antenna/cable but it appears I may be wrong. There are 3 coax attachments at entertainment center, I have mapped one to be satellite in and another to be antenna/cable, so it may be a possibility the third is a coax distribution to underbelly and garage from third coax port in entertainment center?

Garypowell

I know you won't appreciate this but welcome to the world of RV'ing. Certainly you'll get a ton of help as you have already seen but just take one bit of the elephant at a time.

You'll figure it out....we all do....just don't let it drive you crazy.

You might want to invest in a "toner" from a big box store so you can figure out what goes where.

For example, and I don't know your rig" but every time you have a TV cable outlet....there is a good chance there is a splitter somewhere that brings in the signal and also shoots it off somewhere else...another splitter.

Knowing this, I took the cable outlet in my basement and removed it. This eliminated a junction box (simply putting a union in) and reception improved everywhere else.....well downstream.

Try and enjoy the process.

avvidclif

Welcome to the world of RV wiring. I have 3 different cable layouts and none match mine. The Sat input in the UDC had a splitter just inside the wall rated for cable (up to 900 MHz and Sat is well above that) and you can figure how that worked. I rewired all if the TV coax, replaced all the funky connectors, and now it works fine. As for the electrical, mine is labeled correctly, just not very clearly written. The "fabulous" surround sound system is a WM special at $125. I replaced it with a sound bar with wireless rear speakers and sub-woofer.

It will all work out, just enjoy the RV.

NHCelt

Keep in mind if you are using a mobile automatic tailgater or similar, that they are limited to the length if cable for the run. The Dish tailgater limit is 50 feet of cable, including the rv coax. I have found cable length to be critical. You will go from not being able to find a sat to being good to go.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Keep in mind if you are using a mobile automatic tailgater or similar, that they are limited to the length if cable for the run. The Dish tailgater limit is 50 feet of cable, including the rv coax. I have found cable length to be critical. You will go from not being able to find a sat to being good to go.

I guess all Dish Tailgaters aren't created equally as I have used up to 85 feet on mine using a barrel connector to connect two cables together and it worked fine and this is in addition to the internal cabling from the input jack to the receiver. Most of the problems I have seen has been poor connections, too many splitters, and unconnected cables (e.g., when receiver/TVs are in sliders).

NHCelt

Well that's what I thought too. But called their tech support, shortened the cable and got the stations... Don!'t know, but kind of liked the days of my old sat dish better.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well that's what I thought too. But called their tech support, shortened the cable and got the stations... Don!'t know, but kind of liked the days of my old sat dish better.

It could be the quality of the cable. We recently replaced the 50' cable from our tripod sat dish, and the quality of the picture greatly improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wehavefun

I agree with cable issues, I had one piece of coaxial I used cable and a better 50' I used for dish. 1 time mistakenly grabbed the cheaper cable, nothing worked, called dish, went nuts trying their cures, finally realized the difference, changed coaxial .....bam fixed! I no longer carry that coaxial.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

justafordguy

It could be the quality of the cable. We recently replaced the 50' cable from our tripod sat dish, and the quality of the picture greatly improved.

I've heard this same thing from others. What type/specification of cable is best for a good picture?

MikeR

I've heard this same thing from others. What type/specification of cable is best for a good picture?

You want cable that is rated at 3ghz. It will be printed on the cable itself. When I upgraded to the Dish Hopper receiver and a Joey for the bedroom it required 3 GHz cable. I thought I was going to have to replace all of the cable in my unit. Surprisingly my unit was wired with 3 GHz cable . I only had to replace the cable going from my satellite dish to my Big Country.

porthole

Retired

[FONT=&quot]Belden 7915A RG6/U Duobond Plus 3GHz Tri-Shield Broadband Coax

[/FONT]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belden-1829A-009-RG6-U-18GA-3GHz-Duobond-Dbl-Shield-round-Coax-White-/331757245178?hash=item4d3e45d2fa:g:dM4AAOSw-W5UxfDS

Roller4tan

I had a connection issue with Directv mini genie in the bedroom, they came out and the tech replaced all the barrel connectors in the wall plates that had to do with the satellite runs. The plastic insert isolators were orange in color compared to the stock white. I don't know what the difference really is, but it cured my problem. :confused:

sdvh

We are having same issue with satellite. Im waiting to hear how you resolve this issue. mine is a 2107 cyclone 4005.
First time posting and trying to not turn this into a rant session.
I am now living in my 2018 cyclone 3600, loving it but getting annoyed.

Defects noticed so far:
Canopy keeps sticking on initial expansion and requires a manual tug to properly track every time
Coax wiring to garage is off?
No wiring schematics
Cable hookups are not labeled anywhere.
Limited info online or in unit
Sticker schematics are outdated on the inside of doors
Where is the information on the entertainment wiring?
It's like this stuff is just thrown together in a random warehouse and workers are left to do it at their own discression. I have heard there are quality control issues, but come on. Is there anyone that is going to come and help me trouble shoot these things? Very frustrated because this is my home right now. Most pertinent issue is why can't I get my direct TV receiver working in the garage? Frustrated right now...

Tree14

We are having same issue with satellite. Im waiting to hear how you resolve this issue. mine is a 2107 cyclone 4005.
I too asked for schematics heartland said it was proprietary. ..WOW I don't want to build RVS that's why I bought one and it isn't a cheap one at all. I would like to know what is what just in case..

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I too asked for schematics heartland said it was proprietary. ..WOW I don't want to build RVS that's why I bought one and it isn't a cheap one at all. I would like to know what is what just in case..

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

What schematics did you request. They typically do give out the coax drawings but I've never seen them give out electrical. If you weren't specific, they might have thought you wanted the electrical.

What problem are you having? What year and model trailer do you have?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Even when given coax schematics, ours were not entirely correct. Our location for the wiring to the roof was not located where the schematics said, but was perfect for where we ended up locating the satellite to avoid hitting the bathroom vent cover and the AC shroud when doing its rotation.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Welcome to RVing and the forum!
I'm assuming here that "canopy" is referring to the long awning on the door side of your rig. Ours may or may not extend without a nudge depending, I suppose, on if the rig is leaning a little to one side or the other. I replaced both gas struts which really didn't change anything. I'm guessing that a little bit of flexing of the arms combined with mounting brackets that aren't perfectly aligned can cause the slight bind that the gas struts can't overcome every time.
As Dan suggested, make sure your problem isn't more serious than what I've described.

porthole

Retired
I too asked for schematics heartland said it was proprietary. ..

Proprietary ;)
Remove a basement wall and you'll see why it is proprietary. I doubt the person/s that did the wiring could even figure out what they did and draw up a wiring schematic.

What schematics did you request. They typically do give out the coax drawings but I've never seen them give out electrical. If you weren't specific, they might have thought you wanted the electrical.

Even when given coax schematics, ours were not entirely correct. Our location for the wiring to the roof was not located where the schematics said, but was perfect for where we ended up locating the satellite to avoid hitting the bathroom vent cover and the AC shroud when doing its rotation.

Don't waste your time with coax schematic, odds are good that although it may be correct, the trailer was not wired following it.

Our trailer had no SAT coax installed from the factory.

And the splitters - IIRC I had 4 splitters for the cable, and that didn't work very well.

Thanks for your quick reply. I see what you are saying. I have been testing that and have found that only two inputs in the UDS box come in for receivers to connect, however, in under storage and garage, there are 2 coax outputs. I only assumed one was for satellite, besides antenna/cable but it appears I may be wrong. There are 3 coax attachments at entertainment center, I have mapped one to be satellite in and another to be antenna/cable, so it may be a possibility the third is a coax distribution to underbelly and garage from third coax port in entertainment center?

My best suggestion is start from scratch. Get some quality cable (see my post above for the Belden stuff) and compression connectors and the proper crimper.

You didn't mention which SAT company you are using, it may make a difference on how you run the coax.
And if it is DirecTV, are you using the newer Genie Single LNB SWM stuff or the older multi LNB antenna?

I have DirecTV with the 'wired' Genie clients (they require a coax to each client, newest version is wireless), so I have a ONE DirecTV splitter (only one splitter) at the UDC and from there runs to the living room (where my DVR - receiver is), the bedroom and the door side basement.

The coax used for the cable from the factory was actually a high quality coax with the cheapest screw on connectors. I replaced all the connectors for the cable and TV antenna.

I have one coax coming from the roof to the UDC (I only need one with the SWM). The UDC with the two SAT connectors is there for you to choose rooftop or portable antenna on the ground.

Looking at mine, the left side is the coax from the roof, the right side goes to the top port of the DirecTV splitter. When using the rooftop dish I use a 5" jumper coax between those two connectors. When I use my portable antenna I disconnect the jumper and connect the ground antenna to the left side.

Most of the DirecTV wiring I found on a google search looks wrong. The picture below is one I found that is fairly close for a DirecTV single LNB SWM system with wired Genie clients.

Keep in mind with the splitter, there is a specific port that goes to the antenna and a specific port that gets the coax from the power inserter.

Defects noticed so far:

Not a defect, it's a lack of knowledge.The folks building the RV's are not electricians and the odds are good they do not understand balanced loads or the reason electrical wiring is done the way it is when done correctly.

I would suggest checking to see what you actually have. Yourself if capable or an electrician.

On our trailer when new, only one was pair of breakers was mislabeled, But most of the loads were on one leg of the panel. Both AC's, the water heater, the converter and the washer dryer combo. Needless to say, that didn't work well and almost everything in the panel was re-wired.

Attachments

• SWMwithSplitter2.jpg
    SWMwithSplitter2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 49