Going to Disneyland

Mullins

:cool:Heading to Disneyland at the end of April. I've have two ways of getting there from Reno, Nv. I-80 to I-5 South or Highway 395 South. I have been on both roads many of times by car or truck; first time though with my 5th wheel. Any suggestions on which would be a better trip in regards of easy to get to gas stations, etc.. any tips?:cool:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I prefer 395, but that's just me. More scenic drive with less traffic. But, plan your fuel stops before going.

If your worried about access to many more fuel locations/rest stops, then I-5, or 99 would be a better choice, but not all the way through LA.

If you do take either I-5 or 99 south, go east on 58 in Bakersfield. Continue back to 395 south, then hit 15 south in Victorville. (this takes you around LA). Trace

VKTalley

:cool:Heading to Disneyland at the end of April. I've have two ways of getting there from Reno, Nv. I-80 to I-5 South or Highway 395 South. I have been on both roads many of times by car or truck; first time though with my 5th wheel. Any suggestions on which would be a better trip in regards of easy to get to gas stations, etc.. any tips?:cool:

Where are you planning on staying at Disneyland? We were just there in March. I agree with Trace, definitely plan your fuel stops. Truck stops are few and far between.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Finding fuel stops on I-5 or 395 should not be that hard. Both are major truck routes. There is a fuel stop at 58 and 395. The are also several in Victorville right on the I-15. Fuel stops in Anaheim/orange county not so much.

wdk450

I would get on Mapquest and compare the distances. The I-80 and I-5 option seems a lot longer in my head, and the 395 route doesn't have a major pull crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
395 Route: 1 major downgrade going down I-15 into San Bernadino. I would stay on I-15 , then to 210 West to 58 South to get you to Anaheim. You are coming back West some on this route as 395 overshoots and comes into the East end of the L.A. basin. I figure truckers drive this route daily, so you should be able to take it too.
I found a file of Diesel Gas stations, and another one of truckstops to download into your GPS on the POI Factory website. Go to: POI-Factory.com, register and put: Truck_Stops.gpx in the search bar for the truck stops file. Likewise put: DieselFinal.csv in the search for the list of diesel stations.

Best of all worlds is if you have an overnight stop, unhitch and fill up the truck nearby. How far do you estimate you can pull on a tank of fuel? Mine went about 440 miles when I made the 6 days (each way) trip to the 2012 Goshen/Elkhart Heartland National Rally.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bill, don't you mean south on the 57 fwy from the 210? Trace

wdk450

Bill, don't you mean south on the 57 fwy from the 210? Trace

Yeah, I think 57 is right. I have lost part of the So. Ca. freeway map in my mind that every Southern Californian has. I guess I have been in Northern California too long (about 40 years).

Mullins

Not really sure how far I can get on a tank. Went to Mendocino last year; stopped for a break and I just filled up since we were stopped. And that was just on the other side of Clearlake. Might of had 1/2 tank. I might of had about 175 more miles in the tank.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just for giggles I went to see what the RV Park was like and found that there are 3 Anaheim..
Anaheim Harbor RV Park
Anaheim RV Village
Anaheim Harbor RV Park

From RVPR it looks like Anaheim RV Village has the better reviews. I have not been to either of them but was just curious.

BC

rangerbait

Take 395 for sure and plan your gas stops. As you well know from traveling both routes, once you pass Auburn there's absolutely nothing to see until you get to the grapevine. 395 is much more scenic, and you can overnight in Mammoth.

wdk450

. . . . As you well know from traveling both routes, once you pass Auburn there's absolutely nothing to see until you get to the grapevine . . . . .

Hey, us folks from Sacramento sort of resent that!!!!!!!!!

And, what' so scenic about the Grapevine? Bare towering hills that challenge any vehicle's engine and cooling system. I am usually so anxious about the rig getting over this long steep grade that I don't notice the "scenery".

rangerbait

Hey, us folks from Sacramento sort of resent that!!!!!!!!!

And, what' so scenic about the Grapevine? Bare towering hills that challenge any vehicle's engine and cooling system. I am usually so anxious about the rig getting over this long steep grade that I don't notice the "scenery".

Hahaha!! Sorry Sacto...ok, I'll concede that there are pretty nice views of the Sierra on a clear day :)

And I know what you mean about the GV being a stressful tow...I went up and over Tehachapi back in Dec of 2011, and I was very happy when it was over.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X2 PJ. Get to the 99 anyway you can and go east 58 over Tehachapi. The 5 over the GV is terrible.

wdk450

X2 PJ. Get to the 99 anyway you can and go east 58 over Tehachapi. The 5 over the GV is terrible.

I am normally travelling South to Riverside County where my extended family is, and Hwy 58 Tehachapi pass to 395, to I-15 makes more sense to me. My brother in Riverside keeps extolling how great the I-210 from I-5 Valencia to San Bernadino/Redlands is, but it is still all LA urban sprawl to me. I will take the desert over that, besides Tehachapi being an easier uphill pull than I-5 Grapevine.