Going to Florence, AZ

btbaillie

I have been using 160 from Pagosa Springs, CO to 89 to Flagstaff and then 17 through Phoenix down 17 to Florence AZ.

I would like to take a different route this year which includes 60 from Show low to Globe. I see some switchbacks. Is this route capable With a 37' 5er?

Thanks,

Bruce & Lu

Mrsfish

Absolutely! We drive the salt river canyon all the time and love the views. It is not a flat road, it is a canyon with deep drop offs and loads of switchbacks. Going down and back up has an elevation change of about 1000 feet. We have friends who won't drive it (bob and marian) but they pull the wolf creek pass with no problem. There are lots of rigs on the road at most times since to the east of showlow is the white mountain recreation area - a huge camping and fishing Mecca of arizona. Most of us in southern az use the salt as our route.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are heading down that way from Denver in January for the Quartzsite Rally.

Of course, from here we'll be taking I-25 to Albuquerque, where we'll probably stop for the night, then west to Flagstaff then north for a couple of nights at the south rim of the Grand Canyon before heading south to the rally.

Lynn1130

John, you can also take I-40 west out of Flagstaff to 64 (just east of Williams) and then north to the south entrance of the Canyon.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John, you can also take I-40 west out of Flagstaff to 64 (just east of Williams) and then north to the south entrance of the Canyon.

I think that was the route I was looking at on the map last night.

Any ideas on which camp ground to stay at up there?

Been looking at two of them online . . .

One was Grand Canyon Trailer Village . . . the other Grand Canyon Camper Village.