Mesa, AZ to Colorado Springs, CO in late February - Routing ideas...

jbeletti

Hello friends - after we leave the Tucson, AZ rally, we plan to he’d north to Mesa for a day before heading to Colorado Springs, NM. Looking at potential routings and would like some feedback from those who’ve traveled this area in late February / early March.

Some things I consider for my routings are:

• Interstate Highway travel preferred
  • Access to RV friendly Rest Areas
  • Access to RV friendly Diesel Fuel stops (Truck Stops preferred)
  • Passable routes for winter travel with minimal chances for Interstate closures
I’ve identified two routes out of many other options - both about the same number of miles (877). Based on the criteria given above, would you take either of my two routes and if yes, which would you prefer and why? If you’d take a completely different route based on the criteria above, what would that route be and why? Thank you!

Route 1
I-17 North out of Phoenix to I-40 East at Flagstaff, AZ to Albuquerque.
Then I-25 North to Colorado Springs.
Google ChromeScreenSnapz047.jpg

Route 2
US-60/70 East out of Mesa to I-10 East at Lordsburg.
Then NM-26East at Deming to I-25 North at Hatch to Colorado Springs.
Google ChromeScreenSnapz046.jpg

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Jim:

I have taken both routes and in my opinion the first route via Flagstaff and 40 over to Albuquerque is by far the most scenic drive weather permitting! The interstate is generally clear and you will have
all the services you require along the way. On the other hand if you are into Hatch Chilies and the weather in the AZ mountains is bad, your second route will afford you a few more rest & Truck stops and a visit
to Hatch for some world famous chillies. Deming NM just before Hatch also offers a very nice 50 + RV resort. Both drives are very easy but I would have thought from Mesa, route one would be shorter.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Jim, we are looking at the same route coming back from the Tucson rally if the weather permits. We are planning on stopping at Camp Verde for a day or two and then Flagstaff to visit the south rim of the Grand Canyon,and on to Albuquerque and home to Co. Springs. We are going to Tucson by I-25 and Deming to Tucson.

Grey Ghost

Weather permitting, the route using I-17 to Flagstaff and then East on I-40 is the fastest and better route to take. I've taken them both and find that route to be better. However, there is very little traffic on NM 26 and it is a fine road and pretty straight also. Weather seems to be okay right now for either trip.

brianlajoie

Weather permitting, the route using I-17 to Flagstaff and then East on I-40 is the fastest and better route to take. I've taken them both and find that route to be better. However, there is very little traffic on NM 26 and it is a fine road and pretty straight also. Weather seems to be okay right now for either trip.

I agee unless weather falls apart. If weather is bad, we'll back track on I-10 to I-25 and come home that way. If we go the fastest way as suggested, I'll probably winterize before we leave.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Your Route #1 is what we took last year both ways to and from the Quartzsite HOC Rally (although on the way down we went up to the Grand Canyon for two nights).

Good road and all the amenities you'll need along the way . . .

And boy were we glad to be in a major city (Phoenix) when we had the wheel bearing and hub burn out on our Trail Runner!

Your Route #2 is the way we are going from Denver to and from the Tucson HOC Rodeo Rally in four weeks.

On the way down we are planning on staying in Raton, NM one night and Elephant Butte, NM for two nights . . . on the way back Elephant Butte one night and either Las Vegas, NM or Raton, MN the second night and home the third night.

See y'all there!

brianlajoie

If you do take I-10, I forget to mention there was a very nice place to stay in Las Cruces called - Hacienda RV Resort. There is a place we plan to hit on the way to AZ called: Andele Restaurant - 1950 Calle Del N, Mesilla, NM 88046. It is almost walking distance from the resort. Great Mexican food.
[h=2][/h][h=2][/h][h=2][/h][h=2][/h]

gwalter

Brian, in looking at the map it looks like a guy can save quite a few miles by taking Hiway 26 at Hatch to Deming. When are you guys taking off? We are heading out on the 18th and making a stop at Safford, AZ where I lived when younger. Gregg

If you do take I-10, I forget to mention there was a very nice place to stay in Las Cruces called - Hacienda RV Resort. There is a place we plan to hit on the way to AZ called: Andele Restaurant - 1950 Calle Del N, Mesilla, NM 88046. It is almost walking distance from the resort. Great Mexican food.

jbeletti

We ate at La Posta deMesilla last year. Decent Mexican food. We also popped into nearly all the shops on the square there.

jbeletti

Hey everyone - thanks so much for the feedback. I'm hearing the Northerly route is favored if weather is decent. All great info.

brianlajoie

Brian, in looking at the map it looks like a guy can save quite a few miles by taking Hiway 26 at Hatch to Deming. When are you guys taking off? We are heading out on the 18th and making a stop at Safford, AZ where I lived when younger. Gregg

We are leaving for the TX rally this weekend. I understand saving a few miles if we go that way. The blanco green chili is so good that we order a quart to bring home!! It's worth going out of our way for it.

TXTiger

Hi Jim. I have taken route #1 several times in my Cyclone and on motorcycle trips. You can hit some weather near Flagstaff so watch the weather reports. If you take route #2 I will be Hosting at the Escapees RV Park in Deming from mid Feb. if you are a member and want to stop in Deming let me know.

Tony

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We looked at staying in Deming the third night of our trip from Denver to the Tucson rally, but felt Deming was close enough to Tucson that we decided to just stay at Elephant Butte, NM for two nights instead.

jbeletti

Hi Jim. I have taken route #1 several times in my Cyclone and on motorcycle trips. You can hit some weather near Flagstaff so watch the weather reports. If you take route #2 I will be Hosting at the Escapees RV Park in Deming from mid Feb. if you are a member and want to stop in Deming let me know.

Tony

Hey Tony - been a while since I seen you and Layla. Like John, we too are targeting Elephant Butte as our overnight after Mesa. But we'll hookup again somewhere. I think I saw you last in Gettysburg, PA.

StarryNight

Jim,
Keep in mind that March is Colorado's #1 snowiest month and according to our "weather gurus" El Nino will enhance it :-/
Just sayin'

Stay safe,
Monica

gwalter

Last year when we were coming back from Texas at the end of Febr. we had to sit 2 extra days in Carlsbad waiting for roads to clear in the Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas. We are keeping our options open to return home on I-10 and I-25 if the weather looks unfavorable to the north. We stopped at Trinidad State Park on our final night coming home and had to back through 10" of snow to get into our site.

Jim,
Keep in mind that March is Colorado's #1 snowiest month and according to our "weather gurus" El Nino will enhance it :-/
Just sayin'

Stay safe,
Monica