Gonna tow thru Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park

MTPockets

Tomorrow, we will tow our Big Horn 48 miles from Grand Lake, CO through Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park over to Estes Park. I know there are no vehicle restrictions, but know too that route 34 is full of twists and turns and climbs over 4000 ft. To 12,000 ft. Then down again to Estes Park. Should be an adventure but traffic following may get annoyed.

Greengas

The Celtic festival is this weekend in Estes Park! Its a great event if you can make it. Lots of good food, music, etc.

scottyb

It's been 20 years since I have been on that road and that was w/o a trailer. It is an extraordinarily scenic mountain pass. You are right it is very curvy with some switchbacks. My memory of it was not somewhere I would want to pull my Cyclone. However, if it is not restricted, you can probably make it if you take your time.

Last time I was there (93), my diesel truck was a non-turbo F-250 7.3L. It put out a smoke screen that would make James Bond envious, every time we got above 9-10K.

MTPockets

The Celtic festival is this weekend in Estes Park! Its a great event if you can make it. Lots of good food, music, etc.
I am aware of the festival. We should be there about noon if it's still active. We'll be there three nights then to the CO rally.

porthole

Retired
Would like to know your report of how the truck does, temps you see, mileage for the pass, your opinion etc.

Poudrekeg

Going west to east is a great drive. Trail Ridge Road might be quit busy, especially on the downhill side.(east) Be sure to stop on top and check your rig. Alpine rest area might be a little packed also to get into but there a several pullouts along the way. Take your time and enjoy the sights. Don't worry about pushy drivers. Which exit are you taking? Fall River exit offers a better chance of seeing Wapiti, especially around Horseshoe Park. The south exit (Beaver Meadows) has a better visitor center and will get you closer to most R V parks. Have a GREAT day and enjoy my home state.

jimtoo

Hi Poudrekeg,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Thanks for the info. Always good to hear from a resident of the area.

Check out the Portal Page and the information for the owners club. Join us at a rally when you can.

See you on the road.

Jim M

MTPockets

Would like to know your report of how the truck does, temps you see, mileage for the pass, your opinion etc.
Not a bad drive, but a good deal of traffic and bicycles on the road. Sunday may not have been the best day to travel, but it is what it is .... Outside Temp thru Park = 52 degrees ....
Total distance 44 miles, speed limit thru most of park is 35 MPH ............ Travelled East from Grand Lake to Estes Park .................. Uphill avg. MPG 5.4 ........ Engine oil temp maxed out one time at 235 degrees when pulling hard in 2nd gear, but backed down to about 210; and Transmission high temp was 205 degrees and pretty much stayed around 200 - 205. Most of the uphill climb was in 3rd gear and didn't seem to labor at all. The downhill side engine oil and transmission temps stayed at 202 degrees. Most of the descent was in 2nd gear around 3000 RPM and I didn't need to brake very much. Over all MPG for the 44 miles was 9.8 MPG .... ................................... We drove thru the park on Saturday and made several stops; saw Elk, Big Horn. Saturdays drive gave us a good feel for what we were in for today. We'll go back in Monday and Tuesday from the Estes Park side ---- It's a really scenic place!

lwmcguir

We just made the same trip a couple of weeks ago with very similar numbers. Worst problem was getting in and out at the Alpine Village due to all the traffic. One of our favorite road trips is up Poudre Canyon, out to Walden, and back to Granby. Then through the park to Estes. This is a great way to see a lot of wild life in the spring and fall after and before the pass is closed. Plan on most of the day. Be sure you have something to keep your slide covers from flapping in the nightly winds at Estes.