GoodYear 16 inch 14 ply tires

traveler44

Thanks for all the info. on the H114s. Truth is-- I just had G614s installed a couple of months ago on mine. I see by Duane's post that the H114s run on 125psi which don't sound like much more than the 110psi that my portable compresser strugles to maintain now. Looks like a heavier tire yet--16 ply--and lower profile. I'll be interested to hear how the H114s hold up in the long run.

porthole

Retired
An advantage to the 114's is that you can run lower pressure in them. Currently I am only running 110 psi.
Goodyear allows this tire to run as low as 90 psi with a 3695 pound load rating. The attached file is the Goodyear Tire load and inflation chart. The 114's are on page 15.

Attachments

• Goodyear_Tire_Inflation___Load_Charts.pdf
    274.9 KB · Views: 19

lwmcguir

Since we are on the subject of heavy duty coach tires here is a nice little comparison chart.

BrandModelSizeLoad
RatingPly
RatingRim
WidthTire
WidthOutside
DiameterMax Load
@max psiSpeed
Rating
blank.gif
GoodyearG614-RSTLT235/85R16G146.509.5030.73750@11075BridgestoneR-184215/75R17.5H166.009.430.64805@12565GoodyearG114-LHT215/75R17.5H166.758.8030.54805@12575HerculesS-209215/75R17.5H 166.758.5030.54805@125naKumhoKRT02215/75R17.5H166.758.5030.54805@12562MichelinXTA215/75R17.5J186.758.7030.74805@12062SumitomoST727215/75R17.5H166.758.3030.64805@12575

lwmcguir

Whoops, lost the formatting, Here are a word and pdf file with the pertinent file info. Apparently the forum doesn't like the 207-2010 word format so you get the pdf file.

Attachments

• Tire Size and Ratings.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
When I got my tires the choice I had was between the Goodyear's or Michelin's. The main difference being the speed rating.
I asked the shop owner - "if you owned a 36' toy hauler with 60K of motorcycles in the garage what tires would you put on?"

His answer was the deciding factor for the Goodyear 17.5's

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, let's see if I've got this right. Upgrading my relatively low mileage 16" G-rated Freestars to a Goodyear 17.5" H114 should take away some of the worry about premature tire explosions ripping the guts out of my 3670. If I do that, and upgrade to the Level-Up hydraulic system, I'd be in pig heaven, right?? Maybe later, do something about the springs (which still look good), but for now, just doing the tires would be an improvement. Looking at what some of you folks have posted, it would take somewhere between $5000 - $6000 to do the tires/wheels and hydraulics, depending on show prices and deals at the time.

And I'd have to get a better compressor since my little Makita brad nailer one won't go to 125 psi. Getting 110psi is already an exercise.

hillsonwheels

It has been said that a boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood or fiberglass into which one pours money. Can it be that a "rolling earthquake" falls in that same category?

Having poked a little fun at the problem, I fall into the category of not knowing what to do about our tire/wheel situation. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ are always an issue. And, timing is always important.

I have always been known for stopping lines and buying high and selling low???

What to do.......what to do????

Dick

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I guess what you do is buy a new RV instead of new tires. Instead of refilling the fresh water tank, buy a new RV. Instead of empting the black and gray tanks buy a new RV. RMFLMAO Nothing you can do except quit worrying. Like Alfred E. Neuman used to say (Mad Magazine) "What Me Worry?"

You know Jim, I think I will follow your advice and get a new 2012 Landmark, yeah, that's the ticket. When buying new, I wonder if you can order the aluminum rim H114, 17.5" Michelin's or Goodyear's from the factory? Is that overkill, folks?

JohnDar

Not so much worry as concern. And I'm a believer in preventative medicine (and preemptive strikes). Why wait for a catastrophe when you can prevent it? Sometimes, peace of mind is worth the expense.

bill40

Let's see if I have all this straight, the banks system is going to cause my truck blowup(new truck 65+), my frame is going to crack, my tires blow out, my water system start leaking, springs break(new rv 70+), new bottle of nitro for my pill box $4.50.
Hmmmmmmmmm think I'll head down to the drug store and reload and go have fun with what I have.:angel:

Judy Bentley

Seakayaker
Thanks for the recommendation for trailer tires and wheels. We enjoyed dealing with Scott. We decided to replace our remaining Goodyear G614's with Michelin J rated 16 ply 17.5 inch tires and new wheels. They are being shipped to us here in Maine where we are staying for a week or so. We cannot afford the risk of having another blowout. We are still a long way from home (Florida) on this trip, we hope to spend several months in Arizona this winter, plus go to Alaska next summer. In our opinion, the forum has proven its value. Thanks again!

lwmcguir

Thanks for the recommendation for trailer tires and wheels. We enjoyed dealing with Scott. We decided to replace our remaining Goodyear G614's with Michelin J rated 16 ply 17.5 inch tires and new wheels. They are being shipped to us here in Maine where we are staying for a week or so. We cannot afford the risk of having another blowout. We are still a long way from home (Florida) on this trip, we hope to spend several months in Arizona this winter, plus go to Alaska next summer. In our opinion, the forum has proven its value. Thanks again!

Great POST, this is really what it about. Throw out the options and share with folks. That way they know there are choices out there and different options for different folks. I am going to upgrade to 17.5 next season for the same reason. I don't want to tear up the bottom of the coach nor do I like changing tires along the road. Just a bit more security and certainly not necessary for everyone. For most folks the G614 tires will be just fine.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Maybe some tire manufacturer needs to make a solid rubber tire like tricycles used to have on them. LOL

JohnDar

And yet, FWIW, I went through some pre-departure checks on my U-bolts, lug nuts, and tire pressures (we'll be hauling the BH home by Sept. 18th). U-bolts are all at 65 ft-lbs, no loosening. Lug nuts, 3 of the 32 needed a little tightening to the 120 ft-lbs, the rest all clicked on the first try. And the Freestar tires (build code 5207) were all at 105 - 107 psi after sitting all summer. They were filled to 110 psi back in May before we brought it up. The tires all look good, no bulges or blemishes and the springs are still looking like springs, not "W's". Still planning on getting the Level-Up system, though. Still a bit ambivalent whether to go for the G614's instead of the H114's and new wheels. Kind of a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation.

I always start to squirm when it comes to letting the moths out of the wallet.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
When I got my tires the choice I had was between the Goodyear's or Michelin's. The main difference being the speed rating.
I asked the shop owner - "if you owned a 36' toy hauler with 60K of motorcycles in the garage what tires would you put on?"

His answer was the deciding factor for the Goodyear 17.5's

Duane
Have you checked your tow mileage after the 17.5 wheel placement. The heavier tires should have less rolling fiction if you inflate to max rating.

watchthebox

Is the ride quality affected by switching to H114's, compared to the G614's and OEM tires. That is, do stiffer tires make the ride harsher?

porthole

Retired
Duane
Have you checked your tow mileage after the 17.5 wheel placement. The heavier tires should have less rolling fiction if you inflate to max rating.

You wouldd think. But although I have been checking mileage it was not a direct A-B test.The real test would have been out and back to Elkhart, but I didn't know I was buying tires while I was out there.

Mileage with my rig varies quite a bit with speed. I get almost 12 if I keep it at 55 and under. 8.5 at 70.

Is the ride quality affected by switching to H114's, compared to the G614's and OEM tires. That is, do stiffer tires make the ride harsher?

Nothing noticeable in the truck. Nothing seems to move around any more or less in the trailer.
Deb couldn't tell the difference because her first ride with the new tires was also with this the TrailAir pin box, which she gives 3 thumbs up.

Elevatorman

And yet, FWIW, I went through some pre-departure checks on my U-bolts, lug nuts, and tire pressures (we'll be hauling the BH home by Sept. 18th). U-bolts are all at 65 ft-lbs, no loosening. Lug nuts, 3 of the 32 needed a little tightening to the 120 ft-lbs, the rest all clicked on the first try. And the Freestar tires (build code 5207) were all at 105 - 107 psi after sitting all summer. They were filled to 110 psi back in May before we brought it up. The tires all look good, no bulges or blemishes and the springs are still looking like springs, not "W's". Still planning on getting the Level-Up system, though. Still a bit ambivalent whether to go for the G614's instead of the H114's and new wheels. Kind of a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation.

I always start to squirm when it comes to letting the moths out of the wallet.

JohnDar I'm like you. My Freestars, (build code 4507), stayed at pressure, look good, springs still have shape, and u-bolts have remained tight. Although I can't help but think the rust on the nuts helps. I only have had to pack the bearings due to the lack of lube originally put in. I wonder when the explosion will take place and if we'll survive the collateral damage. Yes the trailer squeaks and creaks and the hitch bangs and clunks, and most of the tire wear is from tight turning on pavement, but I can't help but think that's just the way it is! Wonder what makes me more nervous, the 5er, or reading some of these posts?
Also, how harsh of a ride could it be in a loaded 5er by going to H rated 17.5's? Most of us still ride in out TV's don't we? I would think the roads do more to re-arranging the contents in the fifth wheel than the tire stiffness. Or bad packing! Don't get me wrong yes new tires ARE in the near future just because of age and I expect the Goodyears to be better.

I'm still glued to the mirrors, and trying to have a good time too!

JohnDar

JohnDar I'm like you. My Freestars, (build code 4507), stayed at pressure, look good, springs still have shape, and u-bolts have remained tight. Although I can't help but think the rust on the nuts helps. I only have had to pack the bearings due to the lack of lube originally put in. I wonder when the explosion will take place and if we'll survive the collateral damage. Yes the trailer squeaks and creaks and the hitch bangs and clunks, and most of the tire wear is from tight turning on pavement, but I can't help but think that's just the way it is! Wonder what makes me more nervous, the 5er, or reading some of these posts?
Also, how harsh of a ride could it be in a loaded 5er by going to H rated 17.5's? Most of us still ride in out TV's don't we? I would think the roads do more to re-arranging the contents in the fifth wheel than the tire stiffness. Or bad packing! Don't get me wrong yes new tires ARE in the near future just because of age and I expect the Goodyears to be better.

I'm still glued to the mirrors, and trying to have a good time too!

Since I had several months between purchasing and actually taking possession, I was reading these forums for the whole time. I was worried I'd made a major mistake getting involved with this rig before ever using it. Still feel like I've got a ticking time bomb when it comes to some of the horror stories I've read. The problems may be in the minority, but they are still there. Like Russian Roulette, it could just be a matter of time. Since there's no way to get rid of it (not that I want to), putting some major cash into it to "defuse" the bomb seems the way to go.

It is unfortunate, however, that things like hydraulic jacks, proper tires, reliable suspensions, et.al., are not standard equipment on all of these big rigs. That and a rigorous QC inspection before they leave the plant. Added cost to the consumer? Yes, that's understood. But it's a case of pay me now or pay me later. I don't like the pay me later option.